Always fun to see some

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,055

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Balabushka's business card reminds us of something that is often forgotten. George was, at first, known as a shaftmaker more than as a cuemaker. Of course, time would change that.

George was a character for sure. Pete Margo once told me the story of how George called him, in about 1972, on the phone at almost 1:00 AM. George said "Pete, you need to come by my place, I made you a cue." Pete's reply was "I didn't order one and do you realize what time it is?" George knew all that, but Margo was always one of his favorites, and he made one for Pete as a present. He just couldn't wait to show it to Pete.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balabushka's business card reminds us of something that is often forgotten. George was, at first, known as a shaftmaker more than as a cuemaker. Of course, time would change that.

George was a character for sure. Pete Margo once told me the story of how George called him, in about 1972, on the phone at almost 1:00 AM. George said "Pete, you need to come by my place, I made you a cue." Pete's reply was "I didn't order one and do you realize what time it is?" George knew all that, but Margo was always one of his favorites, and he made one for Pete as a present. He just couldn't wait to show it to Pete.

Great story SJM. Thx for sharing that.

Td

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Mr bond had some old-old business cards on the Chicago billiard museum website..
I sure wish that museum site was preserved, mr bond had some really neat billiards history on display of Lindquist, Hjort, Rambow etc..
RIP mr.bond.

Rob.M

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always fun to see some

That Balabushka reminds me of when I was kid. The first 2 numbers were always referred to as letters and had names.
I still remember my first home number, started with KE, stood for Kenwood.
Weird how we remember some of these old things.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Pretty neat thread. The only business card I got was from Tim Scruggs when he worked with Dan Janes at Joss. This was 1976.

Thought I'd show you the back of the card. Paid in full, right off the bat. How often do you see that? That was back in the day when a deal was done on a handshake. The price will make you envious too.

This cue became one of the few six point veneered mid 70s Joss Cues.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Business Card 1.jpg
    Business Card 1.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 552
  • Business Card 2.jpg
    Business Card 2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 543

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Margo was one hell of a player and doesn't get anywhere near his fair share of mention when the subject of old-school players comes up. Hellacious player in the 60 and 70s.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Margo was one hell of a player and doesn't get anywhere near his fair share of mention when the subject of old-school players comes up. Hellacious player in the 60 and 70s.

He was also quite dapper. I have a photo of him in a game, great suit on. I'll post it, definitely not a common photo

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
He was also quite dapper. I have a photo of him in a game, great suit on. I'll post it, definitely not a common photo

Not only was Pete Margo dapper, but they all tended to be, back in that era of pool. Here's something to reminisce over.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Jack & Jills.JPG
    Jack & Jills.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 285

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, here was my “collection.”

Freddie <~~~ no longer