Ho long did it take you to go from D to C player?

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
From D to C? Initially, it took me about half an hour. I have since regressed dramatically.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I assumed that the description here was accurate:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/ratings.html#NPL

(read "A-D" ratings)

But what Andrew just posted sounds pretty good as well :)

I'm not so sure I like those descriptions, in certain regards. I think a C player can actually know quite a lot about position play; or in other words, I don't feel the concept of positional play develops as late as those rating descriptions imply. The C player is playing position on every shot, and getting quite close to their intended position on many of the shots. They're just not quite to the point of putting it together to where you would really say they have the CB under their full control yet, and that's why they're not making the run-outs that a B player or above would.

I think shot-making, CB control, and safety play all develop concurrently, which is why many of these rating scales are hard to apply to real life.

-Andrew

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not so sure I like those descriptions, in certain regards. I think a C player can actually know quite a lot about position play; or in other words, I don't feel the concept of positional play develops as late as those rating descriptions imply. The C player is playing position on every shot, and getting quite close to their intended position on many of the shots. They're just not quite to the point of putting it together to where you would really say they have the CB under their full control yet, and that's why they're not making the run-outs that a B player or above would.

I think shot-making, CB control, and safety play all develop concurrently, which is why many of these rating scales are hard to apply to real life.

-Andrew

I completely agree with this. While not very consistent, C players do have the ability to run out an open table and play fairly good position.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Jude Rosenstock's descriptions from the Dr. Dave link above. There's certainly more to it but IMO these are good benchmarks:

from Jude Rosenstock:

D - Will appear as though they are stumbling through the rack. Their occasional run-outs will either consist of very easy layouts (which they will nearly mess-up), a few lucky shots and/or unintentional position.

C - Greater sense of cue control and much more of a deliberate appearance than a D. They will undoubtedly run out with BIH with 3 or 4 left and will make it look routine but are suspect beyond that.

B - Really the beginning of the run out player. If they make a ball on the break and get position on the 1 ball, they should have a reasonable expectation to get out. Any cluster or unusual position play will diminish their chances significantly. Usually, B players possess unusual strength in either pocketing, strategy or position play. Rarely two of three, never all three. Their creativity is usually limited at this level but you may begin to see glimpses of what's to come.

A - Definitely catagorized as a run out player. They are supposed to capitalize on most mistakes. Greater attention is paid to more subtle details. Expect a consistent and strong break and strength in multiple attributes (pocketing, defense, position play, creativity). Most noticeable among players at this level and above is an aura of confidence.

Open & Above is very similar to what you see described in A only more refined. You will see advanced to expert break, pocketing, defense, position play and creativity. Low level opens might be advanced in all of these catagories while world class professionals might be experts in most or all. All of these players are expected to run out with any routine opportunity. Any run-stopper situation (clusters, blocked position routes) is expected to be handled in such a way to still give the shooter an expectation of winning.

Trent

Banned
honestly at that level C & D knowledge will set you apart from the other C and D players more than anything, you have to know when to duck play safe not run out if you cant get out, take a pocket and block balls, look for natural angle break outs things like this will make you a B player.

patern play and shot making will get you the rest of the way but knowledge is the strongest tool of all.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You excel the most in the beginning. From a B to an A, some NEVER make it. In the beginning, be a sponge. Watch, listen, practice. DO NOT play all of your pool with "non-players." To be a millionaire, hang out with millionaires. To be a poolplayer, hang out with players. There is VERY slight differences from an A player to pro and shortstop. Some will play enough to get them, some won't ever. Good luck.

By the way, it took 48 minutes for me. Just kidding.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most SL5's are still D players, in my experience (and by my definition of D player).

-Andrew

I have to disagree here. A D player probably can not run 2-3 balls consistently in 9 ball, and can't beat the 3 ball ghost consistently. A C player should be able to run 3-7 balls consistently, have a good idea of CB positioning, and an idea on safeties. A C should beat the 3 ball ghost most of the time. D players are bar bangers, C players are people who play fairly often , but don't have the time to practice enough to get to the next level.

I feel a D player is a relatively low level casual pool player. The transition from D to C should happen pretty quickly just by increasing your knowledge of the game and spending time on the table. If you take a lesson from one of the BCA guys on here, scott lee, randy g, etc., and put in 2 hrs 5 days a week doing the drills they show you and playing pool, a C status should be reachable in 6 months I would think.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I like Jude Rosenstock's descriptions from the Dr. Dave link above. There's certainly more to it but IMO these are good benchmarks:

Jude Rosenstock said:
D - Will appear as though they are stumbling through the rack. Their occasional run-outs will either consist of very easy layouts (which they will nearly mess-up), a few lucky shots and/or unintentional position.

C - Greater sense of cue control and much more of a deliberate appearance than a D. They will undoubtedly run out with BIH with 3 or 4 left and will make it look routine but are suspect beyond that.

B - Really the beginning of the run out player. If they make a ball on the break and get position on the 1 ball, they should have a reasonable expectation to get out. Any cluster or unusual position play will diminish their chances significantly. Usually, B players possess unusual strength in either pocketing, strategy or position play. Rarely two of three, never all three. Their creativity is usually limited at this level but you may begin to see glimpses of what's to come.

A - Definitely catagorized as a run out player. They are supposed to capitalize on most mistakes. Greater attention is paid to more subtle details. Expect a consistent and strong break and strength in multiple attributes (pocketing, defense, position play, creativity). Most noticeable among players at this level and above is an aura of confidence.

Open & Above is very similar to what you see described in A only more refined. You will see advanced to expert break, pocketing, defense, position play and creativity. Low level opens might be advanced in all of these catagories while world class professionals might be experts in most or all. All of these players are expected to run out with any routine opportunity. Any run-stopper situation (clusters, blocked position routes) is expected to be handled in such a way to still give the shooter an expectation of winning.

I like these descriptions too. I was assuming this definition of A,B,C,D when I made my earlier posts.

-Andrew

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I have to disagree here. A D player probably can not run 2-3 balls consistently in 9 ball, and can't beat the 3 ball ghost consistently. A C player should be able to run 3-7 balls consistently, have a good idea of CB positioning, and an idea on safeties. A C should beat the 3 ball ghost most of the time. D players are bar bangers, C players are people who play fairly often , but don't have the time to practice enough to get to the next level.

I feel a D player is a relatively low level casual pool player. The transition from D to C should happen pretty quickly just by increasing your knowledge of the game and spending time on the table. If you take a lesson from one of the BCA guys on here, scott lee, randy g, etc., and put in 2 hrs 5 days a week doing the drills they show you and playing pool, a C status should be reachable in 6 months I would think.

I think we're just using somewhat different definitions of C and D.

-Andrew

navin40

9Ball'r
I am currently stuck between being an A and B player. Some say that I am an A player because B players cannot beat me straight up. While on the other hand if I move up to an A right now I'm not sure I could beat the really strong A players. What do you guys think I should do? Any ideas?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I am currently stuck between being an A and B player. Some say that I am an A player because B players cannot beat me straight up. While on the other hand if I move up to an A right now I'm not sure I could beat the really strong A players. What do you guys think I should do? Any ideas?

Whenever you move up from one level to the next, the new level will be full of players that are very tough for you to beat. Keep working hard on your game, and they'll get less tough. Taking the plunge and facing the stronger competition is imperative if your goal is to continue to improve. Don't let the fear of losing prevent you from stepping up and trying.

-Andrew

5ballcharlie

GHOSTBUSTER
Silver Member
Honestly it probably only took about a hr or two. My dad is a decent player and he told me to hit it high to make it follow low to make it draw back and center ball to make it stop. I played a few hrs and got the hang of basic positioning in a few days. I ran my first rack of pool in only my second day of playing. It was 8 ball on a bar table and I remember it like it was yesterday. Within a week of practice if you ran down and dogged the 8 I was getting out about everytime. So I guess I was a c player then. From a cplayer to a bplayer probably 6 months or so. I know it took me a few yrs of solid practice to be able to beat the 9 ball ghost for the cash.

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I should clarify something, because I see a lot of posts stating that playing against difficult competition makes you better. I don't play against anyone else. Except my 2 brothers when they come over and they're at my level... except they only play once a week as opposed to every day like I do.

I do all my practicing by myself on my pool table. I'm a family man who never goes out to pool halls or bars. As a matter of fact part of the reason I got the pool table is because my wife loves the fact that I never go out and she wanted me to have this in our new home. :eek:

If you're wondering why I want to improve if I don't compete...hmmm....guess I can't explain why. I just want to improve. I love to play and I think the game is a lot more enjoyable when you play at a higher level.

Trent

Banned
as i stated before knowledge will get you there faster than anyhting at least to a certain point and then after that experience, but for a home body such as yourself you should get a couple solid books on pool and maybe some accustats tapes on the barbox champioinships and really watch how they move in the rack patern play all that kinda stuff.

i have some books if your intrested PM me

I think I should clarify something, because I see a lot of posts stating that playing against difficult competition makes you better. I don't play against anyone else. Except my 2 brothers when they come over and they're at my level... except they only play once a week as opposed to every day like I do.

I do all my practicing by myself on my pool table. I'm a family man who never goes out to pool halls or bars. As a matter of fact part of the reason I got the pool table is because my wife loves the fact that I never go out and she wanted me to have this in our new home. :eek:

If you're wondering why I want to improve if I don't compete...hmmm....guess I can't explain why. I just want to improve. I love to play and I think the game is a lot more enjoyable when you play at a higher level.

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went from a "D" player to a "C" player in about a years time. The difference between me and a lot of other people is, I started at a young age and I lived in the pool room.

If your starting at an older age, it will probably take more time.

For people stuck in the same place,and not sure how to get to the next level. I tell my students to pick a player a little better than they are and make it your goal to consistently beat them. Once they start beating them find someone else a little bit better and beat them. My reasoning is: "It's easier to improve a little at a time in this game. If you set your goals to high you may never achieve them."

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com