Leather Wrap Seam

Alan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some advice on making my seams invisible. My seam doesn’t 'look' bad, but I can feel it. It feels like one side is higher than the other, but I measured the leather prior to installing and am confident that it was uniform the entire length. I’m using a Wrap Magic to make the longitudinal cut and have only done two wraps (on the same cue). I’m using the cutting template that came with the fixture and my tops and bottoms look great. I think I’m keeping my razor blade completely vertical, but I may be wrong. I’m wondering if a slight undercut would be better. Any suggestions?

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Find a pig shaped like a snake. That way, the wrap will sleeve right over!

Just kidding. You have the right idea by checking the thickness of the leather on the longitudinal edge.

-Use quality leather
-Apply glue to the edges prior to pressing the seam down.
-Get a hard roller to press the seam down after installation.

HoskenCues

Custom Cuemaker
Silver Member
Cutting at a slight angle would help. But then, have you checked the contricity of your handle area? A slight variance could cause the wrap to rise at the seam

Alan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a pig shaped like a snake. That way, the wrap will sleeve right over!

Just kidding. You have the right idea by checking the thickness of the leather on the longitudinal edge.

-Use quality leather
-Apply glue to the edges prior to pressing the seam down.
-Get a hard roller to press the seam down after installation.

If I find one, I doubt it will be the right diameter. Maybe it would shrink if I wet it down??
I'll try the roller idea. Up to now I've only used my thumbs to press and massage it in place. Thanks.

Alan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cutting at a slight angle would help. But then, have you checked the contricity of your handle area? A slight variance could cause the wrap to rise at the seam

I didn't check that. I'm using a fairly crappy cue for my tests, so that might be an issue. I'll measure carefully before the next one. Thanks.

dave sutton

Banned
I think it's how your squeezing together your seem. That's why you have one side higher then the other. Essentially one side is slightly under the other. Rolling the seem will also help but take more care and time in putting the seem together.

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
Are you putting both sides together and then pressing down to the handle?
I have seen some try one side at a time,and this will cause the problem you
have also.

Best wishes,

Steve

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I know this is not that helpful but it is the absolute truth. Do a lot of wraps and make the mistakes that are required to get experience on what works and what does not. I have been using contact cement for years and recently changed to tight bond after being shown it's better attributes by another cue maker you must always be will to change something to make it better.

Rick G

Trent

Banned
Hi,

I know this is not that helpful but it is the absolute truth. Do a lot of wraps and make the mistakes that are required to get experience on what works and what does not. I have been using contact cement for years and recently changed to tight bond after being shown it's better attributes by another cue maker you must always be will to change something to make it better.

Rick G

which titebond are you using???

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Rick G

can you tell us why tight bond is better contact cement..

Alan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you putting both sides together and then pressing down to the handle?
I have seen some try one side at a time,and this will cause the problem you
have also.

Best wishes,

Steve

Dave and Steve,
That may be the biggest culprit. I'm not sure how to describe what I'm doing, but it's a little like squeezing a pimple. I may be pushing one side under the other and needlessly stretching the leather. I've only done two, and I have to admit the first one was botched by not applying the contact cement correctly.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
It's the glue you are using.
If you're using contact cement that is the problem. As soon as it touches...you're screwed if it is not in the position you want it to be. You need something with a longer open time to move things around.

dave sutton

Banned
Alan I know that's your problem as you do more your seem will get better and better. You need to pinch it almost closet the run your finger in the top. You will get better. Go one inch at a time no more.

As far as contact cement and titebond. I guess if it works for you I won't say it's wrong. I wouldn't try it but when I first started I used rubber cement. Only thing about rubber cement is it doesn't stick to anything but leather and wood. If you have to build up with CA or epoxy u must use contact cement. I think titebond might have a similar problem. Possibly but I don't know for sure. Rennet cement cleans up easier I feel. No mineral spirits needed. Only your finger

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
So, here is my million dollar question...
besides contact cement glue what other glue would you use for a leather wrap?
Sometimes I wish I had another type of glue that would take more time to dry since small mistakes could be corrected without almost damaging the leather wrap?

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
beaside contact cement glue what other glue would you use for a leather wrap?
Sometimes I wish I had another type of glue that would take more time to dry since small mistkaes could be corrected without almost damaging the leather wrap?

Contact cement GEL, thinned with mineral spirits.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Unique makes a seam roller. A little bearing mounted on a piece of Delrin.
Looks very much like a roller used to push the spline into a screen when replacing a screen in a window. You can get those at any hard ware store but are much larger and probably more cumbersome. Maybe you can get them in different sizes. I bought one from Unique, not used it yet but well made.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Sometimes I wish I had another type of glue that would take more time to dry since small mistakes could be corrected without almost damaging the leather wrap?

The same type used for installing linen.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have always used good old elmers. I'm not alone. ;)