Your longest layoff?

KLM

Registered
I am getting back into the game after a 25+ year abscense. Not sure what I was thinking, but life got in the way.

So what was your longest layoff from playing?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting back into the game after a 25+ year abscense. Not sure what I was thinking, but life got in the way.

So what was your longest layoff from playing?

My longest and most recent layoff was for close to a dozen years.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hm.. 25 years, could be a record for here.

I probably spent maybe 2 years tops not playing once. Don't know why, just never had an itch to play.

The funny part is that my cue was in my trunk that whole time, and continued to be dead straight when I took it out to start using it.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got married once and stopped playing, lasted about 7 years (the marriage and not playing lol)

Digger0038

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
16 years ago I used to play every day then I had my first kid then a second then my third. I just started really playing again less than a year ago.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
50 years

50 years..............and still don't play...building cues now I hope.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
A 30 years here...got busy running a biz, raising a child. The child grew up and left home. I retired. Looked around for something to do...so back to pool as recreation.

tuda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
40 years... only reason I came back to the game was my nephew mentioned a while back that he was playing again, it re-lit the fire in me, now I can't get enough again.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
About 30 plus years of either not playing at all, or playing once or maybe twice a year.

Funny, during my long layoff and after not playing for a year or so I would visit a old friend of mine who used to play with me as pool addicted kids and who still played every now and then, I'd still wind up running a twenty-plus on him and he'd swear that I was lying about not playing. You'll get it back quicker than you thought.

J

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was 100% out of the pool scene for about 10 years, however I bought a box and played at home enough to keep myself from slipping backwards too much. I'd say the longest i went without hitting a ball was 6-8 months, I know I played maybe 10 times in a 3 year period and went to Israel where there just happened to be a snooker table in the lobby of the hotel, I hadnt hit a ball is forever. I played like i didnt miss a day-funny how that worked, I wondered why pool seemed so difficult in the past. Glad your back

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a lot casually with friends as a teenager and in college. Never competed in any kind of league or tournament. Totally stopped playing after college.

Fast forward to now at 47 yrs. old. I joined a beginner league with my wife 2 years ago. That makes roughly 25 years between playing. Getting better everyday, but still only a D+ in NYC. Will probably never get any higher than C+ or B due to age and working, but having fun.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I didn't start playing pool until I was 59 years old.

So, I guess that's a 59-year layoff.

Since I began playing, my longest stretch without hitting a ball is 4 days.

No one told me how addictive this game is. :D

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Wife and kids forced a break of about 8 years (although I did manage to play at a friend's place once a month - so that might not be a real break).

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I played hardcore from 1983 'til 2006ish. Now I smack a ball around once in a blue moon just to remember what it's like lolz. I just need a break from it but will soon be back playing again once business stabilizes.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Quit playing (once) for 15+ years and it took several years to
get back in "somewhat" good form.
Osteo Arthritis has ruined my game these days and I can only
play for an hour or so before extreme pain sets in.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
Quit playing for about 25 yrs. I moved to a rural area for work, no pool halls within an hour and I don't like playing in bars. I'd play a couple times a year when I traveled to an area with a pool room. I converted my garage about 5 yrs ago and put in a G.C. II. Been playing almost daily since then.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bout 40 years

I quit when I was about 19 and started again when I was 59. I probably did not shoot 20 games over that 40 year span. I don't see as good as I used to, but I am a lot smarter and my game is better.