Help identify

TrickyNicky

Registered
Does anyone know the maker? Wenge with Ivory inlays. I've owned it for 40+ years and it was believed to be old when I got it. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpg
    IMG_2147.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 845

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No idea.

Joint pin type?

Is there a bumper?

Can we get close-ups of the joint face/pin and the bumper and under the bumper?

That might help tremendously.

Cool looking cue.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same size pin as a Schon cue. I have had a couple of shafts made by them over the last 25 years.

That's 5/16 X 14....But Schon uses a slightly different pin than most 5/16 X 14.

Schon could easily make something other than their standard joint anyway. Any cue repair shop can fit a shaft to your pin. It does not mean it is Schon's standard joint pin.

So for the moment we'll assume they used Shon's standard insert, and a piloted joint like most Schon cues.

But the cue is not a Schon...so no help there.

Again, close-ups would help. :smile:

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Hiolle

Old when you got it 40 years ago....? My guess is an old Hiolle cue that's been repinned. Just my 2 cents... Matt D.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old when you got it 40 years ago....? My guess is an old Hiolle cue that's been repinned. Just my 2 cents... Matt D.

It does have the look of some of those old European billiard cues.

OP:
Any chance you have the original shaft? Any chance it has a Billiard taper instead of a pool taper?

TrickyNicky

Registered
No such luck.... Came home drunk one night in the 1970s after cleaning up on the tables in a neighborhood bar. Next morning I only had have a stick.Never did figure out what happened!:eek:

TrickyNicky

Registered
No such luck.... Came home drunk one night in the 1970s after cleaning up on the tables in a neighborhood bar. Next morning I only had half a stick.Never did figure out what happened!:eek:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No such luck.... Came home drunk one night in the 1970s after cleaning up on the tables in a neighborhood bar. Next morning I only had have a stick.Never did figure out what happened!:eek:

In that case, I would a guess a Sampio based on
the mere fact they were available in the USA in the 1960s, maybe even 50s,
from A. E. Schmidt when there were very few cues not from Brunswick.

I would also think it may have been reworked at the joint.

Dale

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hiolle is a thought. Among others. Thanks Sunchaser.

Sampaio as well...again among others. Thanks pdcue.

IMHO the features that bring up these names just are not specific enough to ID the cue. Those features just put it in that genre with those names among others.

Sampaio cues are stamped, I have never seen one that is not. Although this has some general features of a Sampaio they are just the same features another European cue might have. Also, Sampaio has a proprietary joint pin. Of course this cue could have been reworked.

Of course, I may have seen a Sampaio that is not stamped and just not known it was a Sampaio! LOL! :wink::grin-square:

Anyway, I am thinking it could be a European cue. I am also thinking we can rule out Adam, but not 100%.

I am also thinking it could be a Schmelke.

Why?

Well, Schmelke has offered numerous joints...including that one. So we need not suspect the cue has been reworked. And...wait for it....Schmelke made cues that looked like that one. :smile:

s-l1600.jpg

That cue is currently offered on an Ebay sale.

I am hoping to find the OP cue in an old Schmelke catalog. You could also contact Schmelke.

Edit: I would love to know what that joint collar material is. Is it metal? Is it something else? It looks black.

Last edited:

TrickyNicky

Registered
Chopdoc

The joint seems to be a man made material. It is black with a wavy look to it. Plastic, delrin ????

cue is wenge - 20 oz.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc

The joint seems to be a man made material. It is black with a wavy look to it. Plastic, delrin ????

cue is wenge - 20 oz.

I was suspecting such. But was cautious because the pics are so poor.

Maybe even a tortoise shell type material?

I was even thinking back to the WWII era Brunswick joints.

I would love to see a nice pic of that joint collar.

With it being so old and the pics so fussy it could have simply be some really darkly oxidized brass, so I am glad to hear from you on that point.

There are interesting points here...an interesting mystery. I do not easily dismiss this cue as something of no interest, that's for sure. But it could even be something trivial like an Asian import. Right now, it's wide open. But that joint collar info helps make an Asian import more unlikely.

That potential age and 14 pin definitely keep the door open to investigation.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It does have the look of an old Sampaio.

Attachments

• Sampaio Capture.JPG
    Sampaio Capture.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 116

TrickyNicky

Registered
My brother won this cue in a card game in the 1970s. He was told it belonged to some state tourney winner from the 40s. No clue if that is true but I feel it is that old. I will try to get a good pic of the joint today. The original shaft had matching joint material.