Score!!! Craigslist Huebler H-14 & Viking GTF Style Case & Key!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slim makes an excellent point about cue joints.
Players obviously should stick to what they like.

I started out as a 5/16x14 steel cue joint player &
over the years, I experimented playing with cues
with different joints. Like I wrote, stick with what
you like......I have....You'll never be disappointed.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice cue, I think the vertical label and, from what I can see, pill bumper would date it earlier than the 80s.
Quality cue, still straight after all these years.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 1981/82. Paul Huebler made it of course.

I have one that is my current playing cue. Love it. But I have rare 31 inch shafts for it, as well as a 29.

What to do with it? Not sure what to tell you. Paul Huebler passed recently, so some people are asking more for his cues.

What do you want to do with it?

Shame that point tip looks chipped. Bumpers are available, I just got one. I wouldn't refinish. Just lightly clean maybe wax.

It is a classic, the vertical logo is desirable, and the model is desirable. It's not a Custom Shop cue though.

EDIT: Rare to see a key. I have about 22 or 23 of them. Same key as Fellini of course. Shame it wan't a better case but it's a very nice set anyway.

EDIT2: By the way, somebody was looking for this exact model in the wanted section a while back, not too long ago I think. I don't know if he ever found one.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc,

Where did you get the bumper from?

Poolcrazy here on the forum. Terry is his name. He bought out the Huebler shop years ago and has an amazing stash of Huebler stuff.

Since you posted a Huebler I imagine he will be along to comment before long.

He was close to Paul Huebler.

My bumper is in decent shape but I like having replacements for such things on hand. I have a spare brown Brunswick KU bumper for my Joss as well.

Of note: My logo is in gold, yours is in silver. I have no idea of any significance of that. Terry might know. Also, mine has thinner veneers. I have yet to establish any significance of that as well. There are a few variations on this model, and Huebler did make custom cues so things like length, weight, diameter, as well as some variations of the points and butt sleeves can be found...even though they are not marked as "Custom Shop" cues.

Here is mine. I am taking better pics of it soon with all the shafts, original Huebler JPs, and original Huebler case with keys and tag. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=291233

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edit 9/27/2016:

I have to add this one as a separate post (I added it to a post above but can't seem to get rid of it up there now:

Ok, when I start something I tend to finish it or destroy it. So, after researching how to clean linen and wraps for two hours at work ( I freakin' hate A-holes who spend work time expecting others to take up the slack for them--idiots--I hates 'em with a passion!), I decided on a technique and here's the result of cleaning the linen, removing the last vestiges of finish and oils on the cue, and polishing and buffing the plastics on the butt and shafts. Also cleaned the shafts up, but no sanding, just put a sealing wax on them:

View attachment 435671

The wrap looks awesome now. The only indication of use is that the green specs have faded from use but not too badly.

From here it is definitely going to a quality cuemaker (if Tony at Jackson Cues in Slinger, WI accepts the job that's where it goes for a finish--he's done excellent work for me in the past). The linen needs repressing also but I'll leave that to the cuemaker.

Nicely done. :thumbup:

You can even repress the linen yourself...but it is laborious without a lathe and linen press.

How did the points come out?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't filled in the points yet. I'll bring that in to Tony and do the filling myself or let him do it if it's necessary for him to do while performing the other work. I'm seen other threads where filling missing points has been done so I'm assuming it's a standard practice for cuemakers to do. There's no damage to either point inlay so hopefully it's a simple fill and sand technique. And I need a couple other shafts retipped and a ferrule replaced on one so I'll get other repair work done as well that I have just been too lazy to spend the traveling time on.

Do you or anybody else know what's under that pill bumper? Is it standard for Huebler to have a threaded hole for a bolt or do they all come with some weight bolt installed? Is that pill bumper a push-in bumper or a screw-in bumper? I searched Google images for Huebler bumpers but came up dry for a picture with the bumper removed.

I also searched AZ extensively and even when someone has a pretty good collection of Hueblers this particular model was decidedly agreed upon as the best hitting Huebler in their collections.

Pill bumper!

LOL!

I didn't even notice!

If that's original, then you have an older model than mine...older than I said earlier in this thread. It would be a 70's cue I think!

I never looked, just assumed it was the normal later orangish brown Huebler bumper.

If you need one of those, that might be hard to find. I don't know if they are the same as the Meucci pill bumpers but suspect they are.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Nice cue

***Goin’ To Jackson***

Ok, so here’s the finished product after spending 7 days at Jackson Cues:

View attachment 437241

View attachment 437242

View attachment 437243

View attachment 437244

View attachment 437245

I decided to take Ken4Fun’s advice and just get it redone to my liking and forget the vintage look-a-like restoration since this is a keeper for me to shoot with.

Tony used a 2-part epoxy finish (my preference also since I try to treat my cues nice but I don’t treat ‘em like diamond jewelry either). I did the point restoration work (see original pics) before bringing the cue in. The butt cap was shortened about 1/8” to remove the nicks and chips on the end section which also allows the pill bumper to now stick out that much more and actually protect the butt properly when using the cue. I finally removed the pill bumper and it remains original. Black with blue speck linen. I would have liked a bluer wrap to match the veneer work but all the blues ended up looking to circus like and loud.

17.8 oz. total weight with 19” balance point—normal ol’ Triangle tips—the only tips I really like.

Tony at Jackson Cues doesn’t do discount priced repair work, by the way. But it’s always worth the price you pay from Jackson Cues. You’d be hard pressed to look at his work and say it coulda’ been done better. Every repair or refinish he’s done for me has been done right.

Compare these pics to the original post pics.

thas' nice, I think I may have seen that cue before. Cue looks great, if I ever need a cue refinished I will keep Jackson cues in mind for refinishing job. I carry two huebler's myself, do not know how to post pic's or I would gladly do so.

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huebler H-14

Is one of my favorite models. Had one a few years ago. It was unusual one with Hoppe ring and bumpers. I think you should consider selling it to me as is. Would like one for a player cue. The specs are just what I like. Bob

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cue turned out nice, enjoy!

Bob, I still have the one that you had, still plays great.