Harris Cues Meltdown on Eddie Wheat Proportions

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Definitely, and my message was simply referring to the folks who take advantage of others, regardless of the situation, natural disaster or what not, just in general...

I get that, but there is no insulation that someone took "advantage" of him because of the storm. He's just pissed some folks have not paid him yet, and it appears he's quite upset at folks who "flipped' his cues.

I'm just saying that's none of his business what folks did with his cues after he sold him. If I want to use them for fire wood, that's my business. Now, he seems upset because he's hurting for cash, and he expects these hundreds of folks to send him money or something ?

I don't get the rationale at all?

First, he sets the prices for his cues, not me, no you, not anyone. So, he can't complaint after the fact.

Second, he "floated" cues to folks that didn't pay. Cash up front before the cue leaves the showroom. Wiser words don't exist, and most folks that sell something live by those words.. if they don't, they are asking to be "jacked"... just saying.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I get that, but there is no insulation that someone took "advantage" of him because of the storm. He's just pissed some folks have not paid him yet, and it appears he's quite upset at folks who "flipped' his cues.

I'm just saying that's none of his business what folks did with his cues after he sold him. If I want to use them for fire wood, that's my business. Now, he seems upset because he's hurting for cash, and he expects these hundreds of folks to send him money or something ?

First, he sets the prices for his cues, not me, no you, not anyone. So, he can't complaint after the fact.

Second, he "floated" cues to folks that didn't pay. Cash up front before the cue leaves the showroom. Wiser words don't exist, and most folks that sell something live by those words.. if they don't, they are asking to be "jacked"... just saying.

I have to agree regarding his cues he's sold. I inquired about a cue build a while ago with points, veneers, ivory inlays, and the price I was quoted was half what others were/are charging. You know the saying, if it's too good to be true, then it probably is. So, I never took it any further. I'm glad now that I didn't. Sly lost me with the logo debacle all those years ago. I don't care how nice "his" cues are nowadays.

Josh

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member

Completely agree, someone pays you X amount, that is a wrap. Whatever happens after that has no relevance to the original seller...in complete agreement...What I was referring to and was simply based off his post was...the people he refers to that got the cues and never paid him for them..that is it...and yes, to deliver the product and not get paid isn't the best business practice. After reading the post closer, agree in that his statement to the other thousands that PURCHASED and resold at a greater profit..that was a pretty sad statement.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the op to have anger toward those who benefitted from his wares coz they didn't share the wealth via contrubitios in his time of need.

Understandable feelings, who know the depth of the hardship he is in the midst of, ya know?

but to take that thought public? Yeeowch.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I took the op to have anger toward those who benefitted from his wares coz they didn't share the wealth via contrubitios in his time of need.

Understandable feelings, who know the depth of the hardship he is in the midst of, ya know?

If a guy has 5,000 customers there ain't no secondary market for his cues at a higher price, PERIOD!
Jason

Reactions: KRJ

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a guy has 5,000 customers there ain't no secondary market for his cues at a higher price, PERIOD!
Jason

Maybe he feels his 600$ cues shod have sold for 1k, so that 5000 customers could have gofundme'd 200000 in his time of need?

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sly cues

I don't believe that anyone else is making cues for Leon Sly. I would hope that others don't take that slander for fact. I have had dealings with Sly. He was always straight up with me. He also was helpful and open about all facets of cuebuilding. I would not want him to be hurt by this allegation - nor would I want to see his customers' cues lose value because of the ramblings of a lunatic. We live in a time where many false statements are made. That doesn't mean that there is any reason to believe any of them. We "sane" cuemakers need to support each other to some extent. We are competing in the same market but, we are all susceptible to someone making false statements about us.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it appears we got some bad news for you, about what you believe...

I don't believe that anyone else is making cues for Leon Sly. I would hope that others don't take that slander for fact. I have had dealings with Sly. He was always straight up with me. He also was helpful and open about all facets of cuebuilding. I would not want him to be hurt by this allegation - nor would I want to see his customers' cues lose value because of the ramblings of a lunatic. We live in a time where many false statements are made. That doesn't mean that there is any reason to believe any of them. We "sane" cuemakers need to support each other to some extent. We are competing in the same market but, we are all susceptible to someone making false statements about us.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Yeah, but to even have those feelings private is disturbing. If I'm ever in trouble, should I kick stones at the few dozen dealers I have around the world. and then gripe how they made X amount of dollars because I sold it to them at wholesale price and they sold for retail. They make a LOT more than I do per box.... but like any wholesaler, we make it up in volume.

It appears his business was set up that way too...whether he knew if or not. He could have charged more, but then those "flippers" would not have been buying as many cues and would not have been finding more buyers for the cue maker either. He would have sold a LOT less cues in the long run and made a lot less money.

I think he should have thanked all those guys for moving his product. And I'm thinking just ONE cue would have paid for his flood or wind insurance coverage... just one very nice cue.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It might take $200,000 to rebuild a house or shop building. But to get a small rental unit and reset up a good functional cue shop can be done for much less. Hopefully he can raise enough to get back to making a living, and then can either raise or earn enough to get his life back. I really feel sorry for him. Everything is great one day and the next day it is all gone. None of us are exempt. One little tornado in the right place and any one of us could also be In his shoes.

I do think his post was way over the top, but I also imagine he is going through great stress.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
It might take $200,000 to rebuild a house or shop building. But to get a small rental unit and reset up a good functional cue shop can be done for much less. Hopefully he can raise enough to get back to making a living, and then can either raise or earn enough to get his life back. I really feel sorry for him. Everything is great one day and the next day it is all gone. None of us are exempt. One little tornado in the right place and any one of us could also be In his shoes.

I do think his post was way over the top, but I also imagine he is going through great stress.

While I agree with you, it is a very sad situation. Kenny Murrell also lost everything. I guess he has more class.

Josh

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t know this was a practice and now I know there is ghost building. I can have someone make me cues as my own and resell it as my own brand.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
While I agree with you, it is a very sad situation. Kenny Murrell also lost everything. I guess he has more class.

Josh

I spoke to Kenny not too long ago and he told me the news, was very sad to hear that, Kenny is a stand up guy, hope he is able to get things back up and going.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t know this was a practice and now I know there is ghost building. I can have someone make me cues as my own and resell it as my own brand.

Happens all the time and with all kinds of products.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181214-121942_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20181214-121942_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 707

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This has been a common practice in the cue industry since at least the 1970s.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This has been a common practice in the cue industry since at least the 1970s.

Correct. I got fooled by the Bob Weir cues that were being made in Japan. They actually were pretty well made cues that played good, but Robert Weir did not make them. He just had them add his name to each cue. He sold a bunch of cues in the mid 80's and then disappeared from the pool scene.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found some of Grampas old cues, all nice wrapped up and kept fine. He died form over exertion, he was pulling his bankroll out and the weight of it made him keel over and hit his head. died on the spot. tru story

Anyway they are wrapped up real good except one I unwrapped. it ant fancy like my friends cuetach kue. I'm thinking of painting it some brite colors to make it look beter. I can probably get some gas money for it, or trade it for some shots of cue-rvo.

I don't think they are worth much cause the receipts say they old from 1972 and didnt cost much.. Anyway, they came from some furriner named bala something, maybe george bala?. I dont rede so good my glasses got broke when one of my wives knoked me into a wall last week. She sed I was spending too much time with the dog and I thought she ment the other wive and she got really mad at me, cause the other wive is her sister.

I'll tel ya, never marry sisters, exspecially yer own.