Is Max Eberle as big as a goof as I now think?

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never asked Max about his beliefs, nor do I care. However, it is my belief that Max is more of an artist than anything else and it is his in his DNA to create or to see things that others cannot or will not see.

You will never see Max denigrating others or stalking others but you will see him making attempts to share his unique point of view with hopes of getting others to open their minds to look at those things to decide for themselves instead of accepting what has been taught. That is what art is to me...... just sayin.

To relate your story of Buzz Aldrin being stalked with Max is just not fair.

(BTW, JoeyA believes the earth is shaped like a cue ball, just a little larger; and I doubt Max will hold that against me..)

It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. :D

A person can be a perfectly nice and humble and helpful person, and harbor insane ideas that are useless at best, and malignant at worst. Nice person and insane ideas are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

And I strongly believe in open discourse and challenging preconceived ideas and so forth... but what the flat earthers do is not that. Good, serious discourse is premised on rational thinking, openness to evidence, logical consistency, testable & falsifiable hypotheses, etc. etc. etc. Flat Earth nutbags do not engage in any of this. No more than the people who believe Obama is an alien reptile shapeshifter. There's no constructive of helpful discourse to be had with them. They don't help make the worst go round (lol). :)

But I believe you that Max is a great guy, it's just that it's not relevant to this issue IMHO.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If the earth were truly flat shouldn't a person be able to use a telescope to see Mount Everest? Better yet lets make it easier for those of us in North America, how about Pikes Peak? This is assuming you are at least 200 or so miles away, obviously if we are in the foothills you can see the peaks. After all, using a telescope you can see things like planets in outer space which are usually invisible to the naked eye, or do the FE's think Mars and Venus are very close to our flat earth too?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the earth were truly flat shouldn't a person be able to use a telescope to see Mount Everest? Better yet lets make it easier for those of us in North America, how about Pikes Peak? This is assuming you are at least 200 or so miles away, obviously if we are in the foothills you can see the peaks. After all, using a telescope you can see things like planets in outer space which are usually invisible to the naked eye, or do the FE's think Mars and Venus are very close to our flat earth too?

Good rational point, but they will have an answer for it something like the telescope lens manufacturers are in on it too like the airplane wimdows. As to the planets, I'm far from an expert but I think they say the " sky " and the stars and what not are some kind of created image within a dome or something lol!

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
You can't argue with people who are irrational or ignorant.. Nothing you can say or show them will do anything. They feel like they are "in charge" the more they resist..

If I don't know something, I look it up.

The old saying goes: "The greatest threat to religion is logic"
I think this holds true for any ignorant ideas.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I don't believe that the world is flat is nearly as strange as other popular beliefs that many possess.

If you think about it, there are many people who believe things far more insane than the earth being flat but that doesn't make them the worst of the lot of us.

JoeyA

A person can be a perfectly nice and humble and helpful person, and harbor insane ideas that are useless at best, and malignant at worst. Nice person and insane ideas are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

And I strongly believe in open discourse and challenging preconceived ideas and so forth... but what the flat earthers do is not that. Good, serious discourse is premised on rational thinking, openness to evidence, logical consistency, testable & falsifiable hypotheses, etc. etc. etc. Flat Earth nutbags do not engage in any of this. No more than the people who believe Obama is an alien reptile shapeshifter. There's no constructive of helpful discourse to be had with them. They don't help make the worst go round (lol). :)

But I believe you that Max is a great guy, it's just that it's not relevant to this issue IMHO.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
This may have been discussed, but what happens when we reach the "edge" of earth? Or has nobody reached it yet?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I don't believe that the world is flat is nearly as strange as other popular beliefs that many possess.

It is pretty strange. The biggest confusion I have understanding people choose to ignore the reality that is a round earth is... why? What benefit does believing the earth is flat give you and why in the heck would NASA or anyone else lie about it?

I understand why some people choose to believe in ghosts, I understand why some people choose to believe in aliens, I undeestand why some people choose to believe in Xenu and Thetans.

I have no understanding why anyone would choose to believe the earth is flat.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member

If you think about it, there are many people who believe things far more insane than the earth being flat but that doesn't make them the worst of the lot of us.

JoeyA

It has nothing to do with identifying the worst amongst us. It has everything to do with elevating the human condition through understanding of facts and not promulgating a ridiculous idea. Misinformation and poor thinking is the enemy of civilization.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
It has nothing to do with identifying the worst amongst us. It has everything to do with elevating the human condition through understanding of facts and not promulgating a ridiculous idea. Misinformation and poor thinking is the enemy of civilization.

Yes, and on that theme I would recommend to anyone Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may have been discussed, but what happens when we reach the "edge" of earth? Or has nobody reached it yet?

The " edge " is an ice wall that is guarded by some armies or something like that. Even refers to the Antarctica treaty as " proof " lol

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Anyone who actually believes the earth to be flat is SERIOUSLY delusional. I mean, in the land of insane conspiracy theories, this stands out as one of the silliest. Even the actual motive behind the conspiracy makes zero sense. That's usually the easiest part of a conspiracy theory to dream up.

All the so called "proofs" the flat earth conspiracy nuts are throwing out are far fetched, ad-hoc hypotheses. If you look past the "proofs" and I use that term in the loosest way possible, the scale of such a conspiracy is simply mind boggling, spanning thousands of years and millions of people. LOL.

I imagine most of these people don't really believe the nonsense they spew. They are contrarians with way too much time on their hands. Others are people who are just dying to be different, nevermind how, lol. I had a friend that became a communist in the 90's, becoming the local communist party's leader and only member...LOL. He travelled the world to see every "workers paradise" that remained (Cuba mostly), parttaking in all sorts of lame propaganda activities... Well, he eventually realized the folly of this, and I guess people were no longer sufficiently shocked or interested to fuel his interests, so he took up several other obscure belief systems instead, jumping from one to the other at the drop of a hat. I'm sure he'll graduate to flat earthism any day now.

Last edited:

Arete

Registered
I used to work on a project that used satellites. They really did appear in the right places in the sky at the right times to be going in circular orbits around the Earth.

The Sun (and there seems to be only one) is at its highest in California when it is the middle of the night in Iraq.

Thumbs up!
I can see how, with your education and experience to support it you can have a strong opinion on the subject. I certainly respect that and your search for the truth.

I think most of these people who are making fun of Max would change to flat earthers in a heartbeat if it were the popular opinion.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
Neither do I, but I'm not going to work myself up in a frenzy calling people names just because they have a harmless belief. I mean, really, what harm is coming to anyone over this particular belief?

JoeyA

It is pretty strange. The biggest confusion I have understanding people choose to ignore the reality that is a round earth is... why? What benefit does believing the earth is flat give you and why in the heck would NASA or anyone else lie about it?

I understand why some people choose to believe in ghosts, I understand why some people choose to believe in aliens, I undeestand why some people choose to believe in Xenu and Thetans.

I have no understanding why anyone would choose to believe the earth is flat.

richdrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max is a great guy who loves the game. He has given me a few pointers which has helped my game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Neither do I, but I'm not going to work myself up in a frenzy calling people names just because they have a harmless belief. I mean, really, what harm is coming to anyone over this particular belief?

JoeyA

Well, Joey, i'd still like to know what he have to say to Buzz Aldrin to his face.

I know he's going to be polite.....but his beliefs IMPLY that Buzz is a fake.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Max is a great guy who loves the game. He has given me a few pointers which has helped my game.

Rich,

Feel the same way. See Max during my visits to Vegas. He plays pool as do I. We talk pool not pseudoscience. Don't remember him ever bringing the FE theory up in any of the pool rooms I've seen him in. Don't agree with his views but respect his right to believe them.

Lyn

JoeyA

Silver Member
Well, Joey, i'd still like to know what he have to say to Buzz Aldrin to his face.

I know he's going to be polite.....but his beliefs IMPLY that Buzz is a fake.

I'm sorry. I know Max pretty well and wouldn't hesitate to ask him anything that I would be interested in but that isn't something I'm interested in knowing.

I think it is okay to have different beliefs from my own or of others.

I doubt Buzz is going to lose any sleep over someone thinking the earth is flat. Most likely he would get a serious chuckle out of it. I know I would if I were Buzz. :D

JoeyA

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Who's gives a shit? He can believe whatever he wants without judgement from me. Just like everyone else in the world.
If he can teach me something about pool I don't already know he can believe the cosmos resides in Kim Kardashians ass for all I care.
He's a cool guy and a great teacher.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums mobile app