Justin Bergman said he'll play anyone for $10K min.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Tell me why don't we have 10 more Pinoys playing at De Lunas level. Because out of the 10 or 11 Pinoys, he is the only one still standing.

Do you honestly believe that on any given day, Skyler couldn't beat SVB? You don't think Thorpe has what it takes to beat Orcullo? Does Mike Dechaine have the game to beat Ignacio?

The point is, these are all world class players that have the game to beat each other on any given day. Just as has happened in this tournament.

Yes there is a lot of American "Dead Money" Some do it for the experience, some do it for the fun, some maybe do it looking for that Rocky Balboa moment. But to call proven world class American players "Dead Money" is disingenuous. Have a little pride in our guys.
Now I'm confused, are you refering to matching up in gambling against each other when you pointed out those players....or are you refering to beating them in tournaments. See, that right there is the mentality that is degrading pool in America, the gambling outlook. See, to win tournaments, you have to play EVERY player the same, fast and loose, against known and unknown players, and you can NOT start out slow, waiting for your stroke to warm up....by THAT time, you're already in the losers bracket. In tournaments, you're playing against EVERYONE else, not just one player to see who's the winner!!!!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that right there is funny!! The US Open has ALWAYS been open to the world, the problem is, the world of players have PASSED up the AMERICAN players because they've sat on their ass for far to long thinking gambling made the best players in the world!!!

Of course gambling has never produced the best players. Sports evolve so that there is an agreed duration of time, rounds or innings that determine who is best at that sport in the agreed format. Nothing new about that. Gambling is a different animal. No gambler worth his or her salt would claim to be the best, so why would anyone who actually plays the sport at a competitive level rate those gamblers up there with those who are the best?

You appear to be gettting a bit het up about “Americans” (pronounced “AMERICANS” by your good self). Do you realise that this forum is in cyberspace and not on your device?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Of course gambling has never produced the best players. Sports evolve so that there is an agreed duration of time, rounds or innings that determine who is best at that sport in the agreed format. Nothing new about that. Gambling is a different animal. No gambler worth his or her salt would claim to be the best, so why would anyone who actually plays the sport at a competitive level rate those gamblers up there with those who are the best?

You appear to be gettting a bit het up about “Americans” (pronounced “AMERICANS” by your good self). Do you realise that this forum is in cyberspace and not on your device?

Go back and read the title of this thread!!

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is, threads like this do nothing more than highlight the reason why pool sucks in America today!!

Pool sucks in America because there is no money in it!!! Plain and simple. Pool in America is more of a lifestyle than a profession. Ok when your 20 years old not so ok when your 40.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is, threads like this do nothing more than highlight the reason why pool sucks in America today!!

You insist on calling it “America”. I’m pretty sure you mean the USA. Anyway, you might be right - but that will change (yes, I’ll say it again - there will be top ranked snooker players from the USA) with the advent of global tournaments that actually have some global significance. Or at least we can hope for that so we should probably get behind it rather than banging on about how far some players lag behind.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that right there is funny!! The US Open has ALWAYS been open to the world, the problem is, the world of players have PASSED up the AMERICAN players because they've sat on their ass for far to long thinking gambling made the best players in the world!!!

I would agree with this but I also believe the world revolves around ebbs and flows. I think the current league status in the US is doing great which brings more people into the game which will eventually produce more top shooters from the US.

Maybe the reality is SVB is the only American Pro player that stands a chance in the US Open anymore!

Out of all the US players he has the highest probability of winning but, like the others have said, you can't count out any of the top US players. Shit happens sometimes and at that level a race to 11 isn't long enough, as someone else mentioned, CB rolls 1/4" too far and your match is over.

No it can't, all it does is teaches a player they can start out slow, and still win in the long run. In tourna.tournaments you MUST come out the starting blocks firing on ALL cylinders with the intent to win EVERY game.....because there is NO come from behind, and world class tournament player KNOW that!!!

You're delusional if you think there's no coming back in tournaments. I see it all the time. Didn't the Lion just get 6(?) in a row when his opponent was on the hill?

Anyone know how many countries were represented? I'd be interested to know how the other countries fared.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're delusional if you think there's no coming back in tournaments. I see it all the time. Didn't the Lion just get 6(?) in a row when his opponent was on the hill?

I’m with RKC here. The “no comeback” part might not be worded right but certainly playing cold and winning most is a bigger test than playing long and getting on a streak. Winning consistently over shorter races beats winning once over a long (hypothetical, it never happened) race.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I would agree with this but I also believe the world revolves around ebbs and flows. I think the current league status in the US is doing great which brings more people into the game which will eventually produce more top shooters from the US.

Out of all the US players he has the highest probability of winning but, like the others have said, you can't count out any of the top US players. Shit happens sometimes and at that level a race to 11 isn't long enough, as someone else mentioned, CB rolls 1/4" too far and your match is over.

Anyone know how many countries were represented? I'd be interested to know how the other countries fared.

And just think about it for a second, with all the stupid rule changes that have been made in pool to benefit the dead money players....how would Alex have come back with a 6pk if they were playing alternating breaks???????

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And just think about it for a second, with all the stupid rule changes that have been made in pool to benefit the dead money players....how would Alex have come back with a 6pk if they were playing alternating breaks???????

Players come back playing alternate break. It happens, always has and always will.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Players come back playing alternate break. It happens, always has and always will.

If I any MANY other viewers want to watch alternating serves, I'd rather watch tennis or ping pong. Running racks is pool, and has ALWAYS been pool, may the better player run the most in a row!!! People enjoy watching that, not the bullshit pool has turned into!!!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
pool

I don't watch sports. I never really understood sitting behind a screen and rooting for other people to accomplish things with their lives. And when I did root for people, they often let me down. I decided then and there that if you want something done right, do it yourself! Pool is beautiful because you don't need to rely on a team, you get to go out there and get what you earn.

It turns out getting to the highest levels of pool is extremely difficult. Physically with many thousands of hours of practice, competition, and travel. Financially because it ain't cheap to run around the world taking beatings by elite players and chasing a dream. And mentally, because the pressure and challenges to belief are so profound they can be unfathomable to civilians. Best of all, right around the time you're approaching the level you envisioned as a child, other players are raising the bar, now you have to find new ways to break through levels you never believed possible when you set forth.

I don't think there is any surprise not many players can do this. What's amazing to me is that anyone can do it at all. It is that tough. I don't have much time for people calling out and criticizing players levels above them. This wasn't an invitational, there was nothing stopping them from stepping into the ring and showing us how to do it. Either lead the way or stay out of the way. Yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion of these players, but then I get to be entitled to my opinion of those sniping from the side lines.

I'm proud of SVB, Skyler has worked really hard to take his game up levels, Bergman shows heart of a lion calling out the best players when the entire world wants to bet against him, Thorpe and Styer for fighting hard and beating higher rated players out of big events, and the whole darn team for taking back the Mosconi Cup when it was a consensus it was an impossible task. As the international players take the game to a new level and flood the tournament scene they are meeting this challenge head on and giving it all their best. Who knows what the future holds?

In the end, their future is up to them. I'll root them on, but then I need to go practice and focus on my future which belongs to me. I have my own challenges and I'd rather put my energy into myself, rather than holding others to a standard of perfection I gave up on long ago.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I any MANY other viewers want to watch alternating serves, I'd rather watch tennis or ping pong. Running racks is pool, and has ALWAYS been pool, may the better player run the most in a row!!! People enjoy watching that, not the bullshit pool has turned into!!!

No, you don’t understand pool. You just understand it the way you’ve always seen it played. You want a bigger audience, you go to alternate break because that’s the way people want to see it played.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Pool sucks in America because there is no money in it!!! Plain and simple. Pool in America is more of a lifestyle than a profession. Ok when your 20 years old not so ok when your 40.

Steve Miserrak dominated the pool world when he was winning his world championships, and he WON a lot of them....all the while working full time as a school teacher, so don't give no excuses about why todays pool players have it so hard because they need a welfare system to support them while they gamble to get better!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No, you don’t understand pool. You just understand it the way you’ve always seen it played. You want a bigger audience, you go to alternate break because that’s the way people want to see it played.

You'd better take a survey on that one buddy!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

And just for your infor.information, there was more people seated watching pool tournaments 30+ years ago than there is today!!!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you came to that conclusion by all these big audiences that it's produced ,, lol

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Miserrak dominated the pool world when he was winning his world championships, and he WON a lot of them....all the while working full time as a school teacher, so don't give no excuses about why todays pool players have it so hard because they need a welfare system to support them while they gamble to get better!!!!

Name as many U.S. players you can that make a living playing pool.