I've tried everything, need you guy's & Gal's help !!!

XSubmariner

Registered
Well I consider myself a Student of the game & I can see myself improving.

There is one Hurtle that I'm having trouble with with Jumping up.

It's not all the Time.

I have read numerous article on it & it doesn't seem to have helped.

I guess the reason I'm having so much Trouble with it is I'm not conscience of it.

I know a lot of you have gone through this yourself or know someone who has.

If I can fix this issue I believe my game will go up a ball maybe two !!!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I think there are two main types of causes of jumping up, one physical and one psychological.

As for the physical aspect, some people do not have enough of their weight on their bridgehand. You are supposed to form a tripod, and most prefer to have their weight slightly shifted forward. If you have too much weight on the back foot, then there is a natural tendency to want to stand up. But I think a more important cause is that the player is not relaxed, and is sort of contorted into their stance. If you relax your neck and back etc, there is no urge to stand up, as the muslces are not trying to pull you up. Because of feedback mechanisms, having a relaxed body will also lead to being more relaxed mentally.

Psychologically there is a great need in many people to see where the object ball is going. It takes practice and discipline to stay down. There are too many tricks to list, but I believe it is mostly a matter of self discipline. You can't fake that or trick yourself, you have to work on it.

If you want something to try, I'd try to focus on relaxing your body when you shoot in practice. Really focus on one muscle group at a time until you are fully relaxed in your stance. This will take some time, but then you will know how it feels, and what to strive for. It will take less and less time to achieve, until it becomes natural and then you will instantly know when something is not right.

Last edited:

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jumping up in pool is the equivalent of quitting early on a shot.

I (along with many others) have fought this... and not only in pool... I've fought it in golf and bowling, as well.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to eliminate this from your game. Even the top pros do it sometimes. The only thing you can do is to be very aware of it and really concentrate on staying down, and completing/holding your follow through, during every shot.

The more mental effort your put into focusing on this (on every single shot you take... even the really easy ones), the quicker it will turn into muscle memory and come more naturally to you.

That said, when you improve, no matter how much, you'll still probably jump up on a shot every now and again. We all do. Sometimes a player just gets a little too comfortable at the table, takes a shot for granted, the brain wanders for half a second, and... shank.

It's all part of the game... and one of the many reasons that nobody will ever actually be as good as they could be.

Cheers,

Mike

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think there are two main types of causes of jumping up, one physical and one psychological.

As for the physical aspect, some people do not have enough of their weight on their bridgehand. You are supposed to form a tripod, and most prefer to have their weight slightly shifted forward. If you have too much weight on the back foot, then there is a natural tendency to want to stand up. But I think a more important cause is that the player is not relaxed, and is sort of contorted into their stance. If you relax your neck and back etc, there is no urge to stand up, as the muslces are not trying to pull you up. Because of feedback mechanisms, having a relaxed body will also lead to being more relaxed mentally.

Psychologically there is a great need in many people to see where the object ball is going. It takes practice and discipline to stay down. There are too many tricks to list, but I believe it is mostly a matter of self discipline. You can't fake that or trick yourself, you have to work on it.

If you want something to try, I'd try to focus on relaxing your body when you shoot in practice. Really focus on one muscle group at a time until you are fully relaxed in your stance. This will take some time, but then you will know how it feels, and what to strive for. It will take less and less time to achieve, until it becomes natural and then you will instantly know when something is not right.

I am sure some people will get a good laugh about this, but a Le mas class is an excellent tool to learn how to relax different muscle groups. I attended a course with my X while expecting my first son.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Try spending some time practicing hitting the cue ball with out an object ball in front of it. Just knock balls directly into pockets or hit the cue ball up and down the table. Focus on hitting the cue ball smoothly without worrying about the outcome of the shot. If you are still popping up, try doing some strokes without any balls on the table, again focusing on staying still with a smooth delivery. As you get the feel of what your stroke is like when you are staying still, then reintroduce object ball.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned this from Champion

It's not all the Time.

Try to remember when you are doing it and when those shots come up:

Jump down, stoop down.., do it slightly, just enough to remind yourself not to jump up. It wont be long before your no longer jumping at all, or so rarely that it wont be a normal part of your game.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Some will say the you missed the shot because you jumped up.

Perhaps, but... perhaps your subconscious is making you jump up because it knows you are going to miss the shot & it, you, are trying to save it.

Personally I think it is more often the second scenario than the first.

Do you jump up on every shot? No.

Do you jump up on shots that you make? Probably not.

That tends to tell me that the second scenario is the more likely one.

Many on here talk about a pre shot routine but the post shot 'routine' is rarely talked about.

It golf, to teach good balance, students are told to hold their finish until the ball hits the ground.

Well, something similar might be good for you.

Shoot the shot & hold the cue & everything else in the finish until you hear the ball go into the pocket.

Do a complete session of hitting shots at slow pocket speed & do not even look at the pocket but just hold the finish & listen. You might even close your eyes until you hear it.

Later you can do the same thing, but watch the ball. It IS important to see how the ball comes out of the collision & to see how any miss actually misses.

Well, that's my take & suggestions.

Good Luck with getting rid of the Peek A Boo.

Last edited:

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to sound like a wise guy but I took a clinic for another sport with the #1 guy in the world specifically to fix a form problem.His quote that is still with me today was "Whenever you get sick of losing just do it the right way".

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Reid's recommendation (on one of his instructional videos) for permanently ingraining a "staying down" habit was to force yourself to do the following during seven consecutive solo practice sessions:

Shoot all the racks you want to (of any preferred game) but with the completion of the delivery stroke on every shot remain down and count silently "one thousand, two thousand, three thousand" and neither raise the cue up, nor rise up until you've said the third phrase (three thousand).

This does work to deeply imbed the habit in your subconscious. Then, if the jumping up (or raising of the cue before follow thru completion) ever starts to reoccur during competition, religiously resume the "three phrases" practice mantras (subconscious muscle-memory stimulants).

Arnaldo

Last edited:

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee told me on AZB to get fishing line, and a hook. Tie one end around your neck and the other end with the hook to your cue balls and you'll learn real quick to not jump up.

Lol, naturally he was kidding but try picturing that set up when you're down on a shot. If you make the image in your head real enough your body reacts as if it were real so if you put the stress of ripping your nuts and bolts by jumping up on a shot then your body will not allow it.

Conversely, something my team mates would do 2 years ago was hold the heavy end of a house cue over my head when I was shooting. I learned to not jump up then as well.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

It's not all the Time.

I guess the reason I'm having so much Trouble with it is I'm not conscience of it.

Check out your eye pattern.

When a player looks at the cue ball last they might have a habit of "looking up" real quick. That snaps your head up.

Another tool is to always check your cue tip before rising.

randyg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got the guaranteed fix for you.
Buy a cattle prod. Have a friend hold it just above your neck while you shoot.
Can't miss solution.

West Texan

Registered
What worked for me was one night at a local pool room, every time I came up on my shot, EVERYONE hollered at me that I came up. I still do every now and then, but I notice it myself now and remember that night and will remain down on my shots for the rest of the night.

WT

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Don't stand up till the ball goes in the pocket. I cured myself of that in a few days - 25yrs ago.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
There's not an easy fix to this.

It's not all the Time.

There's not an easy fix to this, but I will leave you with a couple of things you can try...

Pick a focal point, particularly, the contact point on the object ball to maintain your focus on as you stroke through.

Also, KNOW that there are no hard shots and no easy shots, there's just the right way to shoot every shot. It's usually the shots you perceive as the harder ones or the ones that you aren't confident about that you will pull up on.

If you feel a lack of confidence in the shot, stand up, walk around the table and GET confident in the decision that you're making...Don't EVER force yourself to shoot a shot you aren't confident in.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
What?

:boring2:

Jumping up does not cause someone to miss.

Just an excuse.

Anything that causes you to deviate from your intention can cause you to miss...It's not an excuse...

It doesn't even have to be a pulling up, something as simple as looking away from the ball can cause you to miss... even just BARELY looking away.

Jaden

p.s. When someone asks for help and your answer is, you don't need help, you're just making excuses...that doesn't help anyone...lol