Miserable little run

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Keep the faith. Straight pool is harder than it looks. You are to be commended for trying. You probably walked away with an increased appreciation for Appleton's 69 and 131 back to back to snap off the event at Steinway.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually only play straight pool on a 10' table and if I run 11, I consider that good day. My highest run is 14, which I've only done a couple times and never got good enough shape for the break ball. I simply don't play this game enough. Try not to focus on the end result, but rather your progress...because, imo, nothing about this wonderful game should be considered miserable. Before you could run 11, you ran less, and you'll eventually run 12, 13, 14 and 15 and get to start again. So 11 isn't that far off from running racks (plural) when you look at it from that perspective. I appreciate the fact that you're secure enough to record your play and put yourself out there for us to see. That takes a lot of courage.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your comments, I'll keep trying. Getting old now, I find three to four hours solo practice is about my limit.

I made some great shots that day but did something stupid right away, probably not worth showing.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your comments, I'll keep trying. Getting old now, I find three to four hours solo practice is about my limit.

3 to 4 hours solo, and really concentrating, is much harder than playing someone else all day long, IMO, at any age.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've recently learned that shorter practices can be far more effective than long marathons. Our brains simply aren't made for pro-longed periods of intake, processing and evaluation of information...which is what training and practicing should be about.

Instead, try giving yourself just one or two racks to practice. You'll automatically put more focus on this small number, than you would drilling for hours where you quickly start looking for the end of the session..instead of the progress of your practice. You also want your practices to keep you hungry for more...not dreading them and looking forward to the end of them. This keeps you fresh each time and not burned out by the "routine" of things. Also, just like when we had to do our homework before we could play or watch tv when we were kids...reward yourself after practice by allowing yourself to just play and have fun. Because isn't that why we are practicing in the first place? To play better, and have more fun?

Just wanted to offer a few suggestions...thanks.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Keep it Up

I made some great shots that day but did something stupid right away, probably not worth showing.

Thanks for sharing, you made some nice shots!

Wedge

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to say I've been at it a long time. Ran 33 last year, my high run so far.

I can usually get a couple of 20's in but not this time.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
runs can be hard to come by.
I played some today.
first shot I ran a small thirty something,
then less than a rack or so the rest of the match.
and lots of runs less than 11.
funny game this straight pool.
steven

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played for three hours last week, best I could do was an eleven ball run:

Sorry, I forgot to adjust the brightness setting on the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVQiaCkRgA

you started with a large cluster in the middle, but should have made that last ball, and you would have finished out that rack.........you are a much better shooter than an "11 ball run" would suggest....

cue ball seems to be flying around a little, but I assume you were trying to open up the rack

zeronine

Registered
Looks a lot better now that I figured out how to adjust the exposure.

Video looks a lot better.

Looks like the last shot you tried to pinch a bit off the corner to hold position, and ended up hitting it too thick??

I found myself doing that in practice today. Lately been racing 9ball ghost to 10 and losing 4-10 each time, then today i barely ran out once because i kept playing too much for position and ended up missing the pot.

Anyway. Interesting to see smaller runs. The guys who do big runs make it look so easy. I've just started playing pool again after 15yrs our of it, and my best so far is 15 before i missed the rack and ended the run. Though i got a few 10's which included position on the final ball and breaking the rack.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on in, the water's fine. :)

I'm using a Casio EXLIM 7.2M snap shot camera, and I found a cheap little tripod at Fry's for $7.99.

zeronine

Registered
Come on in, the water's fine. :)

I'm using a Casio EXLIM 7.2M snap shot camera, and I found a cheap little tripod at Fry's for $7.99.

I'm jumping in feet first. Getting a pool table for home in about a month, just have to figure how to film my own runs...such as they are. I'm curious to see my stroke/fundamentals on camera. In my mind, i'm smooth and consistent, in reality i'm probably a wreck.

Have a webcam but will have to wait and see if it's good enough for low-ish light conditions...plus i don't want the webcam to change exposure or autofocus as i walk round the table, and note sure the webcam is advanced enough to let me disable those features.

I have a really old casio exlim knocking about my gadgets box, but the battery is probably shot. Plus i will have a pc near the pool table, so either a webcam or digital cam tethered to the pc would let me film almost endlessly.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Home table, very nice, and a real camera.

I had to buy the ExLim batteries through amazon. I got four of them for $4 each with free shipping.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
This is solid

I usually only play straight pool on a 10' table and if I run 11, I consider that good day. My highest run is 14, which I've only done a couple times and never got good enough shape for the break ball. I simply don't play this game enough. Try not to focus on the end result, but rather your progress...because, imo, nothing about this wonderful game should be considered miserable. Before you could run 11, you ran less, and you'll eventually run 12, 13, 14 and 15 and get to start again. So 11 isn't that far off from running racks (plural) when you look at it from that perspective. I appreciate the fact that you're secure enough to record your play and put yourself out there for us to see. That takes a lot of courage.

Just wanted to say that this and the other posts above are very good, I will watch Johnny's run also. Plus the ten foot table is probably the best choice to play 14.1 on. sjm and the other posters above should maybe consider being motivational speakers. I really like the part here about "try not to focus on the end result, but rather your progress". Or another words enjoy the journey and the destination will follow.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to say that this and the other posts above are very good, I will watch Johnny's run also. Plus the ten foot table is probably the best choice to play 14.1 on. sjm and the other posters above should maybe consider being motivational speakers. I really like the part here about "try not to focus on the end result, but rather your progress". Or another words enjoy the journey and the destination will follow.

I appreciate the comment, Danny. Thanks!

JohnnyP, hope you're still enjoying the journey! I'm going to try to post a video of myself soon. If you watch, I'm sure you'll feel better about your runs. :eek: