I heard John Schmidt ran a 407 last week, then 434 just today. Any confirmation?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It mostly just looks like heavy sidespin pulling the ball toward the pocket.
Sidespin by itself will not make a ball curve on Simonis. Here is a post I made to the other thread:

Here is an expanded video of the scratch: https://youtu.be/xBb6Bp496oQ

It looks to me like he has a lot of right side spin on the shot. It also looks like the measle ball is spinning on one of the measles towards the end. If the measle is slightly bulging, the ball can effectively be egg-shaped. A problem like this can only happen when there is enough side spin to keep the bulge on the cloth.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could it have just been an un-level table, and the spinning had nothing to do with it?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could it have just been an un-level table, and the spinning had nothing to do with it?
If the table were actually unlevel to that extent it would have been noticed on many other shots. John played for over 20 days on that table.

On a related note, I went down to watch a few days later and while I was there they changed out the cue ball for a brand new one. The one on the table looked pretty worn.

JayBates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hard to determine an un-level table to be at fault considering the rest of the run showed no signs of the table being off. He mentioned a piece of chalk being found on the cloth near the cue ball path.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hard to determine an un-level table to be at fault considering the rest of the run showed no signs of the table being off. He mentioned a piece of chalk being found on the cloth near the cue ball path.
A piece of chalk is unlikely to make the cue ball curve. Right turn, OK, but not a curve. If you look closely at the video (see link above) the cue ball starts curving at about the side pocket and the curve gets sharper towards the end.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I think it was spinning and a piece of chalk may have provided that little extra traction that allowed the spinning cue to grip and throw the ball toward the pocket...but who knows.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk