Fractions With Pivots

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Fractions With Pivots
An aiming system in 15 words

1. Aim at the fractional alignment closest to the shot line.
2. Pivot to the shot line.

Pivot your cue as if the tip is anchored at the CB's 3D center (so that you're always aiming through it). As you pivot, focus on the changing cut angle until the correct one is recognized.

This a simple change from the usual fractional aiming method. It just replaces the undefined "adjustment" with a methodical pivot - a deliberate, focused "scan" through the small range of cut angles to reach the correct one.

pj
chgo

*Of course, learning to choose the correct fractional alignment, pivot direction, and final aim is done through practice and repetition, as usual.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fractions With Pivots

Pivot your cue as if the tip is anchored at the CB's 3D center (so that you're always aiming through it). Focus on the changing cut angle as you pivot until the correct one is recognized.

This a simple change from the usual fractional aiming method. It just replaces the undefined "adjustment" with a methodical pivot - a deliberate, focused "scan" through the small range of cut angles to reach the correct one.

pj
chgo

*Of course, learning to choose the correct fractional alignment, pivot direction, and final aim is done through practice and repetition, as usual.

If you can recognize the proper aim line by scanning through a range of angles, then you can already aim, so just look at the shot and align for the aim line. If you can't recognize the proper aim line, keep doing it until you hit enough correct shots to be able to do it consistently. You're right though....practice practice practice. It's rote.

Traditional fractional aiming is trial and error. Picking the correct nearest quarter and fine tuning from there takes repetitive successful attempts before any consistency comes.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you can recognize the proper aim line by scanning through a range of angles, then you can already aim
As I said above, I think a small scan/pivot is a common way of finalizing aim with any method - and I think it's common because it's an effective technique for highly focused zeroing in. It's effectiveness is probably why pivot aiming systems exist.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
As I said above, I think a small scan/pivot is a common way of finalizing aim with any method - and I think it's common because it's an effective technique for highly focused zeroing in. It's effectiveness is probably why pivot aiming systems exist.

pj
chgo

Makes sense.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Never heard of a pivot system without actual defined pivots from point to point. Is this an actual system you are talking about or just the way you aim.
While i agree pivot aiming is a good technique for focusing in, users are taught to focus on specific points and not scan to what looks right.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

pj
chgo

pj - Do you always pivot from inside the cut angle, or pivot from both inside and outside?

Just wondering. Carl

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
pj - Do you always pivot from inside the cut angle, or pivot from both inside and outside?

Just wondering. Carl

I start from my initial estimation of the final angle and pivot inside or outside depending on which way I feel I’m off. If I was pivoting from the nearest fraction that would determine the pivot direction.

I don’t pivot by design - I just fine tune that way (assume we all do). This idea is about a way to do it consciously for the whole aiming process.

pj
chgo

P.S. I'm describing my own method here, not the method suggested in this thread.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
OK, this is a seemingly legitimate post with no knock on CTE or anything else. I have no knock or agenda either. Just some questions.

Fractions With Pivots

Why not aim at the fractional alignment directly on the shot line to begin with? If a fractional aiming system is supposedly mathematically correct, the line is already there based on the ball layout on the table. (or so it's claimed)

Pivot your cue as if the tip is anchored at the CB's 3D center (so that you're always aiming through it). Focus on the changing cut angle as you pivot until the correct one is recognized.

What if the scan is a tick or two wrong?

pj
chgo

So what are the guidelines and things to practice for those who have difficulty with it? Visualize GB?

Here are some additional questions:

1. is the tip of your cue inside of CCB to a thick hit on the OB pivoting back to CCB once the deemed correct fraction is found after scanning?

2. Is the tip of your cue starting at CCB to a fraction on the OB and then pivoted to the outside with a new fraction once the deemed correct fraction is found after scanning?

3. After pivoting, are you now striking the CB to OB fraction with a slightly angled cue from your original stance alignment?

4. When you set up and then pivot, are you doing it all with the center of your tip only or also the inside or outsides of the tip?

5. If you pivot to the outside of CCB or to the inside, are you factoring in squirt and throw? What is your formula for the correct amount and how does it affect choosing the OB fraction?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Aim at the fractional alignment closest to the shot line.

Why not aim at the fractional alignment directly on the shot line to begin with?
A "fractional alignment" is center CB aimed at one of the fixed "fractions" on the OB. That's almost never directly on the shot line - you have to adjust from that to make the vast majority of shots (contrary to Houleigan legend).

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
A "fractional alignment" is center CB aimed at one of the fixed "fractions" on the OB.

Yeah, there are about 18 or 20 of them. Which is exactly why CTE isn't one.

That's almost never directly on the shot line - you have to adjust from that to make the vast majority of shots

Not according to Poolology. Choose the correct prescribed fraction based on the ball layout to a rail and pocket and it's as simple as pie.

(contrary to Houleigan legend).

pj
chgo

I should have known better than try to post some legitimate questions without you making some snide wise ass remark about CTE or Houleigan legend.

Hal must have thought you were a funny guy because he always referred to you as a clown. I don't. think you're funny but admire Hal's insight.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fractions With Pivots

pj
chgo
------------------------

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

So I determine from standing position that it requires a 3/4 ball hit to pocket the ball. When I get down to shoot, all I have to do is aim the center of the cue stick at a 1/2 ball hit and then pivot back to the 3/4 fraction and pull the trigger..??
If the shot requires a 3/4 ball hit, then "the fractional alignment closest to the shot line" would be the 3/4 ball fraction.

pj <- duh?
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So you're not familiar with fractional aiming... OK, good talk.

pj
chgo

I am, but you aren't familiar with CTE and never will be. Like I said, go take a lesson from Tyler Styer who exceled with it in the Mosconi Cup or Hunter Lombardo.

But wait, you already know more than they do. You know more about all things pool than anyone on Earth.

That's it. I'm not getting sucked into your lonely, miserable, deranged life with every minute of every day on multiple forums and forum subjects for over 20 years.

You'll be doing this from now until the day you die, haunted by Hal, Stan, CTE and all those who use it from amateurs to pro players. What a life...what a way to die.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You said back in the original post, "get the fraction, aim to the fraction nearest to it and then pivot to the originally selected fraction and shoot".
No, I didn't. Try reading it more slowly.

pj
chgo

P.S. For a bunch of guys who are constantly insisting "CTE is nothing like fractional aiming!", you guys sure don't know much about fractional aiming.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Basic fractional aiming is simply using the nearest quarter fractional aim point and adjusting from there. Your adjustment could be a little pivot move or whatever.

But the more you work with fractional aiming (not the old school traditional guesswork aiming, but a system that gives you accurate aim points without relying on experience or inexperience), the easier it is to recognize a 3/8 or 5/8 aim line, or even 1/32 thinner than a 5/8 or whatever. Using your tip as an aiming guage makes this quite simple. But you don't call it a "19/32" hit...lol. It's just a touch thinner than 5/8, and you don't label it, you just see it and shoot it.

https://youtu.be/SRqW5b9n6Oo

Sticking to the basic quarters and nearest 1/8 of a ball aim points will allow you to pocket a lot of shots consistently. However, if you really want to improve your shot-making skills using fractional aiming, you have to move beyond the basic aim points and learn to recognize cb-ob relationships and how to fine tune as needed, accurately, in accordance with known aim points, not guesswork.

Last edited: