Why No Shot Clock In 9ball World in Qatar?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I am enjoying the great coverage on the stream from Qatar and thank all that made it happen. That said, I think they should think very strongly about putting a shot clock in next year. I believe this is on TV there and it can't help viewer #'s with all the slow play. Johnnyt

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I am enjoying the great coverage on the stream from Qatar and thank all that made it happen. That said, I think they should think very strongly about putting a shot clock in next year. I believe this is on TV there and it can't help viewer #'s with all the slow play. Johnnyt

Haven't seen all that many matches, merely Efren Reyes vs Toh Lian Han, Ko Pin Yi vs Huidji See, and now Ralf Souquet vs Nick van den Berg, neither of whom have a reputation of being lightening-fast, and yet, although not all of these matches were on a qualitatively high level (the first…), I've seen no stalling by anyone. Nick and Ralf are playing a solid, steady, professional pace, taking a little more time where it's due, such as figuring out difficult kick shots and safeties, but once they're "in amongst the balls", they're usually out in a couple of minutes. Assuming you're referring to other matches than these three?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
Let's face it, only people interested in pool are watching. We don't need a shot clock at the world championship, just the highest level of play.

/opinion

-s

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd also like to see the shot clock used in every match. Still, slow play has been tolerated by so many for so long that I'd sympathize with any professional that disagrees.

Charles M

Registered
Shot Clock at the discretion of the TD

The applicable rules provide as follows and it appears that the implementation of a shot clock is within the discretion of the Tournament Director.

19. Shot Clock
A shot clock may be requested at any time during a match by a tournament official or either player involved in that match. The tournament director or other appointed official decides whether to use a shot clock or not. Should a shot clock be introduced, both players will be “on the clock” and there will be an official timekeeper for the duration of the match. As a recommendation, players will have 35 seconds per shot with a warning when 10 seconds remain. Each player will be allowed one 25-second extension during each rack. The shot clock will be started when all balls come to rest, including spinning balls. The shot clock will end when the cue tip strikes the cue ball to initiate a stroke or the when player’s time expires from the shot clock. If a player runs out of time, it will be a standard foul.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I am half and half on this ...

I think a shot clock should be used, but be 45 seconds a shot.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Johnny, are you a big fan of speed pool?
How slow are the players playing?

Are they taking on average over 1 minute per shot?

Are they on average taking 2 minutes per shot or is it possible that you may not have the patience to see these guys give it their all and think through shots and strategy.

I believe they care far more about winning than rushing through the game so those that want to hurry up and see the next match can be accommodated.

One's person's slow play is another's fast game.

My apologies for taking you to task on this, but it is the world championships. The players might just know something you don't about how much time is needed on each shot to play at their best. I realize we probably disagree on this but I felt the urge to reply. :)

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Johnny, are you a big fan of speed pool?
How slow are the players playing?

Are they taking on average over 1 minute per shot?

Are they on average taking 2 minutes per shot or is it possible that you may not have the patience to see these guys give it their all and think through shots and strategy.

I believe they care far more about winning than rushing through the game so those that want to hurry up and see the next match can be accommodated.

One's person's slow play is another's fast game.

My apologies for taking you to task on this, but it is the world championships. The players might just know something you don't about how much time is needed on each shot to play at their best. I realize we probably disagree on this but I felt the urge to reply. :)

I agree. Those boys are there to win, not in hurry to go home as quickly as possible. And the better the player, the more she or he is going to see/perceive, that's precisely the point of the matter. Would hate to see people play bad because they're being rushed.

Also, I keep wonder who we're talking about. In addition to the matches mentioned earlier (see further above), I also watched Lee He Wen vs Al Shaheen last night, and am currently watching Appleton vs Naoyuki - again, no stalling whatsoever. Solid professional meticulousness by both players. Simply fail to see the problem!?

(Except: Naoyuki does seem to rush things and play too quickly for his own good sometimes.)

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Something else: I once asked the referees at the European Championship if it was only my subjective impression, or if matches where the shot clock is being employed are truly taking longer on average. They said I was right, and that on average, those matches take longer, most likely because on average quality of play worsens, and/or all the smart players switch into defensive mode. Of course, exceptions apply. They also pointed out that the shot clock's at the discretion of the tournament director, meaning for them that it should be used to secure the tournament schedule, not in favor or against any individual or group of people.

Last edited:

Pangit

Banned

I'm enjoying the "great" coverage as well. It's one the clearest live net feeds I've seen. It's almost like 3D?

Why isn't it on TV? Most every other world cue sport championship is televised in 2012?

Michaela Tabb is a respected referee, she wasn't invited. It's in the middle east, you have these "women" officials in all the "Garb, head to toe, and "she's in charge????

"She" isn't in charge of anything in the Muslem "world". It's pandering.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm enjoying the "great" coverage as well. It's one the clearest live net feeds I've seen. It's almost like 3D?

Why isn't it on TV? Most every other world cue sport championship is televised in 2012?

It is on TV, LIVE in the Middle East. More than I can say for pool, here.

I AGREE it is some of the clearest live-streaming I have ever seen. The closeups are great and the repeated visuals are fantastic.

I wouldn't mind them having an automatic shot clock that started just as soon as your opponent sat in his chair. Your time would not start until your opponent sat down.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
It is on TV, LIVE in the Middle East. More than I can say for pool, here.

I AGREE it is some of the clearest live-streaming I have ever seen. The closeups are great and the repeated visuals are fantastic.

I wouldn't mind them having an automatic shot clock that started just as soon as your opponent sat in his chair. Your time would not start until your opponent sat down.

That would make more sense than to start it when the balls stop moving - it's kind of rude when one's forced to jump out of one's chair, in particular in situations in which it's not clear from the electric chair as to whether it's one's turn or still one's opponent's.