Rematch?- Alex, Scott

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
the big sharp dressed guy looked like a champ during the warmup but then the lil guy with the bedhead started shootin back at him

same table = same result

gettin it on in zona i'd go with the big guy as long as i got a lil juice

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The fact that they played on a table with a slight roll kind of muddied the result. In rack three or four Scott battles back from like six-zero, making unreal shots to sink or hang each ball in his pocket on the left. with one ball left he slow rolls to the top right corner and gets boned by the roll, selling out a bank so easy that Alex drilled it behind the back.

He seemed mad about it, I'd think he would want a rematch on a level diamond. Maybe Alex is just a higher level player but anyone who's ever been called the best, should have too much pride to just accept there's a new sheriff in town.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

Both tables 1 and 6 have had rolls every time I've played on them. I don't understand why they couldn't have found a level table to play 1 pocket. There are some other tight, relatively level tables there. I think both table 2 and 7 are really tight, and the rest of the tables in that part are 4 1/4" or so.

The tight tables definitely favor Alex.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Don't agree. (what else is new) I think that a player of Scott's caliber should know how the table plays and account for it. As "Box" said at the end whining about the rolls is just an excuse because if you get up to play a man for that amount of money you know the table.

As for Alex making an easy bank behind the back the bank wasn't "easy" he had to shoot it behind the back because there was no other way to reach it. He hit it with speed to make sure it got back up table if it missed and didn't sell out a cross bank.

OK, Alex gets full credit for his bank, but it's not like there's no other way to reach it. I always felt going behind the back is a bit showoffish and serious players learn to use their off hand. I guess behind the back works if you practice it. Busty does it too and he doesn't strike me as a guy who's just trying to look cool.

Rolls add an element of randomness to the game, I know some view them as a unique challenge players must overcome, but to me that's like trying to "overcome" a coin landing tails three times in a row. It's just something that happens and it doesn't care how skilled or careful you are. You only have knowledge and control of them after the fact, you can't play for a roll you don't know about. Scott clearly didn't know about that one.

I don't think rolls make scott lose 11-3 or whatever it was, but momentum in this game is huge. One game makes more of a difference than a single bead sliding across the wire.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Don't agree. (what else is new) I think that a player of Scott's caliber should know how the table plays and account for it. As "Box" said at the end whining about the rolls is just an excuse because if you get up to play a man for that amount of money you know the table.

As for Alex making an easy bank behind the back the bank wasn't "easy" he had to shoot it behind the back because there was no other way to reach it. He hit it with speed to make sure it got back up table if it missed and didn't sell out a cross bank.

Let's not forget that this table also has super tight pockets on it. Any shot that was over two feet wasn't easy on that equipment. I don't know how many of the members here have ever gambled in one pocket for any decent amount but I have played it a few times for several hundred per game up to $600 a game -1200 in the middle :) - and let me tell you from my personal experience the pockets shrivel up when the bet is high enough. The few times I have played on really tight pocket tables some shots literally look as if there is no pocket and the ball cannot be made.

Now of course not saying that Alex and Scott ever felt that way. Just saying that with a tight table the margin of error is very small and all mistakes are amplified.

John, I agree with everything you said here. If you dont know the table you are not going to bet that much!!! The table played the same for both guys Alex just adjusted to it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, Alex gets full credit for his bank, but it's not like there's no other way to reach it. I always felt going behind the back is a bit showoffish and serious players learn to use their off hand. I guess behind the back works if you practice it. Busty does it too and he doesn't strike me as a guy who's just trying to look cool...

I am a behind the back guy too.

But I am not a serious player. More like a clown player.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rule#1...NEVER bet against a Phillipino player no matter how much you like the opponent, unless you are seriously angry at your money!!!

Reminds me of a saying that I'm sure somebody posted on here, it said: Rule 1, never bet against Shane. Rule 2, never bet against a Filipino. Rule 3, if Shane is playing a Filipino, keep your cash in your pocket. Or something along those lines.

I think that even if they played on a different table such as a Diamond. Alex still would come out the winner. Scott may make the match last longer, but in the end Alex still wins.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chicken Blood

My Dad was Filipino 1st generation to come to US.
Most of the Filipinos worked in the fields.
They only did two things, work and take their chickens to the cockfights.

My dad was a big time gambler, he bet it all, just like all the other Filipinos.
My Dad won enough money to buy our house in 1955.

At the cockfights you match up by saying how much money.
I remember a "little money" was about $3,000.

The guy's would form a syndicate and put all their money on a fight.
Sometimes my Dad would show up with $10,000 for a "little money".
My dad would take all his money out, just to see his chicken fight.

If you have ever seen a cockfight the Filipinos go wild.
They are like sharks and get into a feeding frenzy....grin gambling frenzy.

They used to say Thomas De La Cruz Thadeo didn't care about money.
He only wanted to see "CHICKEN BLOOD".

Love ya Dad.

Here is a link to a Documentary about Filipino Farm Workers.
Dollar a Day, 10 Cents a Dance.
Pogo (Godofredo Alnas) my Uncle sings Mexicali Rose at the end.
He used to sing it to my little sister.

http://vimeo.com/45513418

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
My Dad was Filipino 1st generation to come to US.
Most of the Filipinos worked in the fields.
They only did two things, work and take their chickens to the cockfights.

My dad was a big time gambler, he bet it all, just like all the other Filipinos.
My Dad won enough money to buy our house in 1955.

At the cockfights you match up by saying how much money.
I remember a "little money" was about $3,000.

The guy's would form a syndicate and put all their money on a fight.
Sometimes my Dad would show up with $10,000 for a "little money".
My dad would take all his money out, just to see his chicken fight.

If you have ever seen a cockfight the Filipinos go wild.
They are like sharks and get into a feeding frenzy....grin gambling frenzy.

They used to say Thomas De La Cruz Thadeo didn't care about money.
He only wanted to see "CHICKEN BLOOD".

Love ya Dad.

Here is a link to a Documentary about Filipino Farm Workers.
Dollar a Day, 10 Cents a Dance.
Pogo (Godofredo Alnas) my Uncle sings Mexicali Rose at the end.
He used to sing it to my little sister.

http://vimeo.com/45513418

AFLAC !!!! :confused: