bank pool rules question

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do banks "off the point" count

For example shooting a ball off the point of one side and into another? I'm assuming yes

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
do banks "off the point" count

For example shooting a ball off the point of one side and into another? I'm assuming yes
I think cross-side off the point has to count.

How about off the point of the side to run along that side cushion to the corner pocket? This shot is made fairly often by accident.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How about off the point of the side to run along that side cushion to the corner pocket? This shot is made fairly often by accident.

As long as it is called, it ain't no accident!

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 'outside of the point is part of the rail. The 'inside' of the point is pocket facing.
You would need slo-mo replay to tell where the OB hit. I've never heard of a 'no rail' bank.
Maybe onepocket.org has an answer.
BB. You got action!...all you're banks have to be 'no rail'...mine all rail.
Have your people call my people ( my people are available from 8 pm to 8 am ).

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

id think the first one counts and the second one does not.

at what point does catching the short rail count as a bank? (never would be my guess)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

That second shot you mention is not good in Bank Pool, but just a good roll in One Pocket. :)

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just looked at the DCC "Official Rules of Play". The rules are extremely minimal...to a fault. And in many spots the wording is just poor. Any lawyer who participates in the tournament can cause all sorts of havoc by following the "official" rules exactly as they are written...or not written.

For example, what exactly constitutes a "bank"? Rules never defines the term.

Also, it says you have to call "the exact number of cushions" before shooting. Does that also mean you have to count the OB grazing the adjacent cushion of the intended pocket right before it is pocketed? Doesn't clarify.

For the general rules it says, "Object balls frozen to the cue ball or very close to the cue ball require you to elevate the cue approximately 45 degrees to stroke the shot. This will be considered a legal shot even though a double hit may occur."

So what exactly does "very close" mean? If the CB and OB are an entire ball's widths apart, can I elevate to 45 degrees and proceed to double-hit the CB with impunity?

And what if the CB and OB are "very close" and with a level cue I skillfully refrain from double-hitting the CB. Would this be a foul since the rules state I am "required" to elevate the cue for "very close" shots?

Thankfully not many professional pool players are lawyers...lol.

Last edited:

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Bank that catches the point of the side and goes down the long rail into the corner counts as a 1 rail bank. This happened to me at DCC this year in the third round. A referee was called in to help.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just looked at the DCC "Official Rules of Play". The rules are extremely minimal...to a fault. And in many spots the wording is just poor. Any lawyer who participates in the tournament can cause all sorts of havoc by following the "official" rules exactly as they are written...or not written.

For example, what exactly constitutes a "bank"? Rules never defines the term.

Also, it says you have to call "the exact number of cushions" before shooting. Does that also mean you have to count the OB grazing the adjacent cushion of the intended pocket right before it is pocketed? Doesn't clarify.

For the general rules it says, "Object balls frozen to the cue ball or very close to the cue ball require you to elevate the cue approximately 45 degrees to stroke the shot. This will be considered a legal shot even though a double hit may occur."

So what exactly does "very close" mean? If the CB and OB are an entire ball's widths apart, can I elevate to 45 degrees and proceed to double-hit the CB with impunity?

And what if the CB and OB are "very close" and with a level cue I skillfully refrain from double-hitting the CB. Would this be a foul since the rules state I am "required" to elevate the cue for "very close" shots?

Thankfully not many professional pool players are lawyers...lol.

Perhaps it doesn't specify rubbing the rail because anyone who plays Bank Pool
knows that isn't a rail.

Dale

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Bank that catches the point of the side and goes down the long rail into the corner counts as a 1 rail bank. This happened to me at DCC this year in the third round. A referee was called in to help.

I think you got hosed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So they intentionally went off the point? You said it "caught" the point which sounds like an accident, but intentionally shooting off the point is the only called one rail bank I can think of that would hit a rail adjacent to the intended pocket. Is my imagination failing me?

While it hit a rail adjacent to the pocket, the cushion section it hit is not adjacent to the pocket. Thus the uncertainty. I think it ought to count.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it doesn't specify rubbing the rail because anyone who plays Bank Pool knows that isn't a rail.

Dale
But it's better to have rules that are clear even to the uninitiated. It could easily have said something like, a cushion contact close to the pocket as the ball is going in does not count as a cushion.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That second shot you mention is not good in Bank Pool, but just a good roll in One Pocket. :)

Interesting that this came up, What if you bank across the side to the point and then down rail to the corner? I have noticed that shot happen a lot on Diamond tables (it may happen on others) but I have noticed it a lot on Diamonds. I mean if the pocket was blocked and you called it that way, would it count? I would think it would.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it's better to have rules that are clear even to the uninitiated. It could easily have said something like, a cushion contact close to the pocket as the ball is going in does not count as a cushion.

Yes, but that would be bowing to the forces of evil who swear there is a difference
between "call shot" and "call pocket".

Riddle me this. The official rules of Straight Pool, do they explain that a ball rubbing a rail
near the pocket is a legal shot?

Dale

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but that would be bowing to the forces of evil who swear there is a difference
between "call shot" and "call pocket".

Riddle me this. The official rules of Straight Pool, do they explain that a ball rubbing a rail
near the pocket is a legal shot?

Dale

But isn't banks the one traditional call shot game in which it isn't just call pocket? If it was just call pocket, you wouldn't have a 'must go in clean' rule.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Riddle me this. The official rules of Straight Pool, do they explain that a ball rubbing a rail near the pocket is a legal shot?
Here's the actual relevant text:

In games in which the shooter is required to call shots, the intended ball and pocket must be indicated for each shot if they are not obvious. Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant. ...

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But isn't banks the one traditional call shot game in which it isn't just call pocket? If it was just call pocket, you wouldn't have a 'must go in clean' rule.

If by 'must go in clean' you are referring to the stipulation than the OB can not contact
any ball on the path to the pocket - that has nothing to do with incidental contact with cushions.

Again, you only need to indicate which pocket and how many rails to get there.

Dale