Which ball set should I buy?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the standard Cyclop set that came out of the box like Prairie Dog posted above. Happy with no complaints from me. Also have the skittles TV set that I haven't taken out of the box yet.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the standard Cyclop set that came out of the box like Prairie Dog posted above. Happy with no complaints from me. Also have the skittles TV set that I haven't taken out of the box yet.

Same here, though I sold the skittles set immediaty.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I opted for the Cyclops Hyperion balls. Now we will just have to wait and see.

I should have said in my post hat my experiences with Cyclop balls, which goes back to what I believe was their debut at the BCA several years ago, has been positive. Overall they are a good set. I don't know that I've tried the Hyperion set. I'd expect it to be great.

Good luck,

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would this be a good ball set? I know the Brunswick Centennial set is considered to be very good, but these look like they are pretty dirty.
Can someone give me a rough idea as to value for this set?
I will get them if I can get a good deal, but should my cutoff be $50, or $100, or what?

948375017144559yH.JPG

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would this be a good ball set? I know the Brunswick Centennial set is considered to be very good, but these look like they are pretty dirty.
Can someone give me a rough idea as to value for this set?
I will get them if I can get a good deal, but should my cutoff be $50, or $100, or what?

948375017144559yH.JPG
A new set of Centennials retail for $400+, but if you search hard enough you can find them online for around $300. A used set in excellent condition would be worth no more than $200 max, but a used set in average condition I'm guessing would be worth closer to $100. It's just hard to tell exactly what condition these balls you included the photo of are in? They may just need a good cleaning, but it would be impossible to tell exactly the condition of these balls, particularly the cue ball, without seeing them in person. If it's me, I'd spend the extra $100 or so to get yourself a brand new set.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new set of Centennials retail for $400+, but if you search hard enough you can find them online for around $300. A used set in excellent condition would be worth no more than $200 max, but a used set in average condition I'm guessing would be worth closer to $100. It's just hard to tell exactly what condition these balls you included the photo of are in? They may just need a good cleaning, but it would be impossible to tell exactly the condition of these balls, particularly the cue ball, without seeing them in person. If it's me, I'd spend the extra $100 or so to get yourself a brand new set.

Thanks Chris, these popped up when I was looking for something else, and it was more of me thinking I might be able to make a few bucks reselling them. The cue looks like one of those heavy mud-balls to me, but the rest look like legit Centennials. I've got enough other irons in the fire for now, so I'll probably pass on them. I appreciate your follow-up though.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Chris, these popped up when I was looking for something else, and it was more of me thinking I might be able to make a few bucks reselling them. The cue looks like one of those heavy mud-balls to me, but the rest look like legit Centennials. I've got enough other irons in the fire for now, so I'll probably pass on them. I appreciate your follow-up though.

If you rub each ball and see there are no chips or damage, and only just dirt, buy them for $50 or $100. The dirt will eventually rub off and you'll have a $400 set of balls.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Aries also look different. They don’t have the fancy inlays

Different from what, the Hyperion?

So are there three different sets of Cyclop balls, the Ares, the Standard and the Hyperion?

Or does the Ares set = Standard and there are just two sets, the Ares and the Hyperion?

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different from what, the Hyperion?

So are there three different sets of Cyclop balls, the Ares, the Standard and the Hyperion?

Or does the Ares set = Standard and there are just two sets, the Ares and the Hyperion?

Cyclop has 4 sets that I am aware of. Traditional, skittles, TV colors and hyperion.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cyclop has 4 sets that I am aware of. Traditional, skittles, TV colors and hyperion.

I received the Cyclops Hyperion set in the TV colors. Was not expecting the color change but I really like it. I have to call "whatever that ball is" but I am sure I will get used to the colors. They play great and appear to be very good quality. Time will tell more but happy so far. Also my faith in buying from Mike Ortiz was rewarded. He delivered fast and as advertised when no one else had stock.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to call "whatever that ball is" but I am sure I will get used to the colors.

You wont, lol. I've had my skittles for years and still can't keep them straight. Too many years of standard colors I think.

sddale2001

Registered
Has anyone with the Hyperion set experienced defects like roll out, chipping or felt raised logos/numbers? I'm thinking about picking up a set of these vs Duramiths... I'm playing with Super Pros at the moment.

Thanks