Do you ever notice a really bad smell coming from your cue?

OldManOfTheSea

Registered
How bad a smell we talking? The wrap on my favorite cue smells like old sweat and stale cigarette smoke.. even after not being used for 15 years. It immediately makes me think of my old pool room.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
A wrap that’s constantly moist with sweat then kept in a dark case afterwards is a perfect environment for bacteria. :eek:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not being a smoker, I'm so happy smoking was outlawed in bars. When I first started playing in Michigan I would smell like a chimney when I came home from the bar. When I moved to LA in 2003 it was so pleasant not having to play in smoke filled environments. Apparently Michigan has since outlawed smoking in bars now too.

On this topic, I've never really noticed any distinct smells on my cue, but perhaps I've just gotten used to it

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don't know about the cue but a few weeks ago during a sale of used cases that we had collected I stuck my nose in one of them that made me gag.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
If anyone has a toolbox with Craftsman screwdrivers in it check out the odor emitting from that puppy, it smells like barf, and not just my toolbox, I have checked many others. It must be something they put in their handles because I have never known steel to be offensive to the olfactory system.

P.S. to stay on topic I will give my cues the sniff test when I get home tonight.

Some plastics have horrible outgassing. My local Harbor Freight was storing hand trucks in the front foyer which pretty much was a greenhouse the way it was designed because it allowed a ton of sunlight in with little ventilation. Those rubber tires would give off the nastist odor. I guess enough people complained because they stopped putting that product there and the smell went away.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Some plastics have horrible outgassing. My local Harbor Freight was storing hand trucks in the front foyer which pretty much was a greenhouse the way it was designed because it allowed a ton of sunlight in with little ventilation. Those rubber tires would give off the nastist odor. I guess enough people complained because they stopped putting that product there and the smell went away.
Or open a toolbox full of the old Craftsman screwdrivers with Cellulose Acetate Butyrate plastic handles. It smells like someone vomited in a can of tuna.

But no, my cues don't smell even a little.

Sent from the future.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

I bought a lawn cart/hose caddy combo from home depot about 10 yrs ago and the black rubber tires smelled toxic and it was powerfully strong. Ended up pushing it to a far away spot on my property and even that wasn't good enough, ended up bringing it to the dump. There went $140 into the trash.Yes, it was made in china and I'm sure the rubber, or whatever those tires were made from, were also from there.

Other than your cases, not much good has been coming from there. :wink:

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never had a cue smell bad......wait.
I bought a used Schon from the late 80's, and the wrap smelled like tobacco a little bit. I put a little 99% alcohol on a rag and took care of it for the most part.
I also had an old cue on the floor in a soft cue case, and some water settled under the house after a long rain. The moisture from that completely ruined the wrap. Needless to say I had it re-wrapped and it now sits up on a shelf. :)

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that you over in the corner playing by yourself and shitting balls in left and right with that cue?

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
About 12 years ago, I bought a 2x2 box case from Schmelke. The one with the faux fur as a lining for the interior. When opened, it had a strong sharp chemical smell. I did everything back then. Left it open for days, put it in front of a fan, sprayed it with deodorizer. Although not as strong , I can still smell it to this day.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might be a really dumb question, but do you ever notice a really bad smell coming from your cue?

Is a really bad smell usually due to a really old dirty, worn wrap, or could it be for other reasons?

Maybe 2nd hand smoke, from smoke filled pool rooms, gets into the wrap, and causes it to stink really bad?

Or maybe cues in general have a bad smell to them?

I do not know, because I never thought to smell my cues in the past, lol.

This old cue that I currently have has a really bad smell to it though, but the wrap looks really old and very dirty, so maybe that is where the bad smell is coming from.

I understand that this is probably a stupid post , and I might get laughed at for asking such a silly question, but I am honestly curious why this cue might smell so bad, and if that is a thing that bothers some pool players , with their cues.

You must take your cue into restroom. When standing at the urinal what hand are you using to hold your cue? Do you hold the cue in front of you or at your side?

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I keep trying to imagine a stinky cue. To me its got to be something to do with the wrap glue...or as suggested put away damp or wet and mildew happens. Mind boggler...

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
P.3 of the unwritten rules.

Wipe your butt with your bridge hand. It saves the wrap.