Hypothetical cash

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A wealthy man walks up to you and gives you a free deal. He'll pay both you and another player $1000 each, if the other player can run 1 game of 9 ball in 10 tries, BIH after the break, 9 ball spotted. If you fail he walks away, so no need to sweat anger. The other player is a novice, around a D+/C- speed, but he is enthusiastic about learning pool and very receptive to advice. You can not play, but instead are allowed to write one sentence each on three flash cards before the start of the first game. You may show him the flash cards at any time during his attempts, but may not say anything else.

What coaching advice would you write on the three flash cards?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Try your best.”
“You can do this.”
“Let’s wait in the parking lot and jump him for the cash.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
!. Stay down on every shot
2. See the ball going in , not missing.
3. Hit the 7, 8, and 9 ball with the same firm stroke, you shot all the other balls.

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Believe in yourself, confidence is the key to winning!
2. If it doesn't feel right, stand up and re-focus.
3. Pocketing balls with shape relies on 3 simple aspects; Aim, stroke, and speed.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Hypothetical indeed. A wealthy man didn't become wealthy by making foolish bets.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Show me your shot selection for approval"
"Nope, choose a different shot and show me for approval"
"Correct, now focus and execute"

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't shoot if your brain starts thinking while you are down.

Watch your follow through with your lower peripheral vision.

Have fun walking home.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hypothetical indeed. A wealthy man didn't become wealthy by making foolish bets.
Well, yes, but.... It's not a bet and it's for chump change.

My cards would read:
Slow speed
Medium speed
Firm speed

Players at that level mostly lack any sense of position play. "Use right draw and play a Z pattern to the middle of the far end cushion," will not be useful even if you had an extra flash card for it. The best you can hope for is that they won't leave themselves behind a ball.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rotate these cards as needed to show where and how hard to hit cue ball.

Cover the ball with your hand if center ball shot.

flash.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rotate these cards as needed to show where and how hard to hit cue ball. Cover the ball with your hand if center ball shot. ...
I would hesitate to tell any D+ player to use sidespin, but I like your method of getting more onto each card. It doesn't exactly comply with the rules from the OP, though.