This is ridiculous

stevemcqueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Archer did win. I just got verification from someone there.

shite :( can't stand archer! i am watching the stream and the announcer was saying give it up for earl strickland, no mention of archer.... but these guys in the booth, are not commentating properly, they don't know any scores waste of time...

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I think I heard Williams saying in the background, Earl is out.

This right here sums up all of the problems with the coverage of the event.

It's like we need a network of spies and informants to find out what is going on at the purported World Championships in the biggest city in the country. :shakehead: :shakehead:

stevemcqueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This right here sums up all of the problems with the coverage of the event.

It's like we need a network of spies and informants to find out what is going on at the purported World Championships in the biggest city in the country. :shakehead: :shakehead:

stinks!!! i feel i have been cheated this stream should be half price for thier neglegence :frown:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the announcer was saying give it up for earl strickland, no mention of archer ...

That's standard operating procedure in most pro events. When a player gets knocked out late in the event, the announcer/director asks for applause for the player going home.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Update

this is all I have been able to figure out, listening to the stream, the announcer at the venue, and texting a few who are there.

2:00 p.m. matches

Danny Barouty v. Thorstenn Hohmann (Schmidt plays winner)
Ralf Eckert v. Zion Zvi (Archer plays winner)
Zaid Thweed v. Darren Appleton (Deuel or Cohen plays winner)

tv:

Efren Reyes v. Mika Immonen (Deuel or Cohen plays winner)

Morning matches

Schmidt beat Eberle
Archer beat Strickland
Deuel beat See
Cohen beat Wilkie.

Last edited:

jerseybillG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awful coverage

Love straight pool .Unless they get more young people interested i see it dying a slow death. I have given up worrying about seeing anything streamed in the USA. I have been watching live Snooker matches from all over the world .Clear as a bell. Hahasports . like watching a video. Also watched ALL the Mosconi cup last time live and free.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is pretty sad that highly involved fans have to struggle to find the results.

The game and history of 14.1 was hijacked purely for financial gain. They have no respect for the game, witness their HOF fiasco.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Steve are you at Carom? What's happening, who's playing now? Gracias!

Bill,

I haven't been at Carom since Tuesday.

I really hope I can make it tomorrow for the Final 4

Schmidt
Appleton
Efren
Eckert

I really Hope Schmidty snaps it off, that would be Ginormous !!!

Steve

Last edited:

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is pretty sad that highly involved fans have to struggle to find the results. The media presence of the 14.1 Worlds is... unexpected, to say the least.

It's not really that surprising - this is how it was run last year, and the year before that and the year before that.

You'd think that DP would learn from one year to the next - my guess is they don't give two shits about disseminating information in a timely fashion. There's not much bottom line to updating anything quickly. A very shortsighted view would also be that by not making info available it might drive more people to pay for the stream.

The same thing happens every year with this shit show production. It's never announced early because locations are always lined up last minute (seriously RIGHT NOW we should know the dates and location for *next* years event - that's the way *real* events are run from year to year). Every year people piss and moan about not being able to find the results anywhere. This is 2012, in 1997 I was building database back ended websites. Today you can do it with no experience at all - hell you could just setup a twitter account to tweet scores as they come up. You could have a FB page doing the same.

There are nearly innumerable ways to get this info out that wouldn't cost DP a dime, other than paying someone to do it. And that's sort of the rub of it - in order to really get this stuff working in a manner befitting a World Championship you do need to pay someone. I have tried before to post regular updates at matches (and I can touch type no problem, don't even have to look:) and still, you get carried away, you don't want to miss anything, you forget etc. It really does have to be a job, but the kicker is that if you simply setup these things in advance the job would be nothing more than punching numbers and updates into a very simple web page that would then push that out to all the relevant services like twitter/fb/whatever.

Look it's easy to rant. It's not my job to make this event run smoothly - but check out my post history, I complained about the same things back in 2007, 2008 and 2009 - in threads people read. I know at least some people affiliated with DP or that must pass some of this on are on AZB. Presumably they read all these posts complaining about the quality of the web presence (plenty of people complain) year after year and either just don't care or feel there is nothing they can do about it.

I know that it's unfair to expect DP to give everything away for free, but having someone post micro-updates and some fairly quickly updated running scores of the matches isn't going to do anything to affect possible sales of the DVD's - a blurb about how one player made a miraculous through the stack combo to start a 100 and out run to save a match doesn't replace watching it. So if that's the reason for not devoting any time and resources to it - it's a bad reason.

So frustrating.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very shortsighted view would also be that by not making info available it might drive more people to pay for the stream

Not short sighted at all. On the contrary. Hence my previous comment.

The game of 14.1 and it's history has been hijacked purely for financial gain.

Disturbing how many folks give DP credit for "bringing back the game" when their intent is simply to make money...Want updated info? Pay us!