Why Do These Two Shots Look Different?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/3a2ce.png

Both are fairly long straight-in shots. Yet when I get down over these shots they look, feel, seem different to me. I will say the shot on the 6B feels more comfortable and I see it better than the shot on the 3B.

Why is that?

r/DCP

p.s. NO STUPID IDIOTIC RESPONSES. JUST STOP, DONT DO IT!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Both are fairly long straight-in shots. Yet when I get down over these shots they look, feel, seem different to me. I will say the shot on the 6B feels more comfortable and I see it better than the shot on the 3B.

Why is that?
Could be your stance is more suited to one place at the table than at the other. Or your vision is confused by the different angles of the rails.
Now you tell me.

pj
chgo

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Body position maybe..

Why is that?

r/DCP

When you get down on the 6 ball your left hip can be turned into the line of the shot. When getting down on the 3 ball not so much.

To fix this just make sure your body is turned to 2:00 before you come down on the shot.

If you have to reach too far for the shot the same thing happens.

Many players stretch and miss when they should have used a bridge.

When stretching the body and the eyes get out of line.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
one is to the right pocket
the other is to the left pocket
i will let you figure out the difference

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you get down on the 6 ball your left hip can be turned into the line of the shot. When getting down on the 3 ball not so much.

To fix this just make sure your body is turned to 2:00 before you come down on the shot.

hey geno
I've thought the body can pull the eyes off-line
but it wouldn't just be the left hip- ?
or is that just in the case of a right-handed person

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Why is that? ...
It could be that you are not placing the balls the same on the two sides.

Elsewhere I have described where the effective center of the corner pockets is. You can find it in my on-line articles on sfbilliards.com -- all free -- if you can't find a description here. Place a donut in the center of each corner pocket by my very precise definition of center. If you don't have an appropriate laser line-maker, stretch a thread out from the center of that pocket-center donut to where you place the cue ball. Put donuts exactly centered on the thread (and under it) for the cue ball and the object ball. Check your work. See if the shots on the two sides still look different to you.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Is the line drawn to the object ball your eye? or is it the cueing position line from the cue ball?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously there's a perspectual bias. Could be pocket anxiety or anything. On that, learn to hit the object ball in the ass; the point furthest back from the pocket or intended line/target.
Switch hit. Center yourself in the shoot zone.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why is that?

Dr. Dave introduces the idea of parallax in the linked document. It’s a good place to start to diagnose the issue.

https://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2011/july11.pdf

Also, because of eye dominance the long rail is seen more prominently, in peripheral vision, with one than the other. That effect is different with handedness as well.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
straightline...Not sure if english is your primary language or not, but there is no such word as "perspectual". You may have meant to say perspective, or you mean perceptual bias, which would be a correct usage.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Obviously there's a perspectual bias. Could be pocket anxiety or anything. On that, learn to hit the object ball in the ass; the point furthest back from the pocket or intended line/target.
Switch hit. Center yourself in the shoot zone.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
My guesstimate would be the eye dominance
keeping your body from lining up the same way
for each shot, and perhaps making your head tilt
a bit to compensate. I like to do the alignment drill
In which you place the object ball 2 diamonds away from
the corner pocket, and the cue ball inline with said
ball 3 diamonds behind it. And use top english
to follow the object ball into the corner pocket.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
straightline...Not sure if english is your primary language or not, but there is no such word as "perspectual". You may have meant to say perspective, or you mean perceptual bias, which would be a correct usage.

It's called coining. I suppose perceptual works but you got it. Ever play 9 ball with the wrong balls? Most get it even though some are always like, "yeah but which one is the 9 ball?" Some even insist you put another buck in the machine. :D