Who was/is best all around pool player, still alive today?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, a 305 in practice and a 198 at the last DCC on a Diamond have to count as a start on showing some ability. He does have to get past his problem of losing matches to old guys.:D He won $3850 at DCC this year at 14.1.

I stand corrected. :eek:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think pretty much all the fargo 800+ can run 200+ in straight pool. Leevan, Niels, Alex, Dennis, Shane, Filler, etc.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Bottom line, Reyes and Varner. Nicky was the only player that I heard of, that went and beat Efren in the Phillipines. Banks, one pocket, rotation pool, 14.1....the ultimate grinder in all pocket games, Nick gets my vote.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of today's top players if it was limited to rotation and 14.1 I wouldn't bet against filler in a long set. If you add in one pocket it gets complicated. I'd lean toward Orcollo or Pagulayan. Maybe Van Boening. Not sure Filler has the one pocket game those guys do.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bottom line, Reyes and Varner. Nicky was the only player that I heard of, that went and beat Efren in the Phillipines. Banks, one pocket, rotation pool, 14.1....the ultimate grinder in all pocket games, Nick gets my vote.

Great answer and well explained. I've asked Nick this same question and he said all around would be Wimpy Lassiter.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are more people playing One Pocket today then there are playing Straight Pool. I can assure you of that. Does that now make Straight Pool a "niche" game as well? Is this sensible enough for you to understand?

I've not travelled the world and have seen as much as you have, but I will say something. The other day in rockland county, I can honestly say was the first time I've seen two people play one pocket. Every other hall I've been to here in NY they are mainly playing 14.1. Unless one pocket, which is a game I admit do not watch or care much for, is only regulated to gambling and tournament matches?

Someone tell me if I'm wrong here, but it seems that the west coast is one pocket land whereas NY plays a lot more 14.1.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've not travelled the world and have seen as much as you have, but I will say something. The other day in rockland county, I can honestly say was the first time I've seen two people play one pocket. Every other hall I've been to here in NY they are mainly playing 14.1. Unless one pocket, which is a game I admit do not watch or care much for, is only regulated to gambling and tournament matches?

Someone tell me if I'm wrong here, but it seems that the west coast is one pocket land whereas NY plays a lot more 14.1.

The Northeast has always been a hotbed for Straight Pool. One Pocket is played pretty much all over the country; North, South, East and West.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player who was the best all around, and is still living, will be Efren until he dies.

A more interesting question is best all around right now, which is constantly subject to change. I put Orcullo ahead of Alex, and I don't see why Alex gets so many mentions. Orcullo plays rotation games a lot better, 14.1 a lot better, and one pocket almost even with Alex.

I'd replace Efren with Earl, his focus on 9 ball not withstanding

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The player who was the best all around, and is still living, will be Efren until he dies.

A more interesting question is best all around right now, which is constantly subject to change. I put Orcullo ahead of Alex, and I don't see why Alex gets so many mentions. Orcullo plays rotation games a lot better, 14.1 a lot better, and one pocket almost even with Alex.

I like how Alex handles this question.
He was asked in an interview about who was the best...a few years ago...he said..
“I’m not saying I’m the best....but I’ll gamble with the best.”

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Buffalos on Bloomfield, Metairie, Louisiana

The best all-around pool player of all time will be at Buffalos on Bloomfield this May 23-26th. Come pass a good time and see this legend before he completely retires.

JoeyA

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best all-around pool player of all time will be at Buffalos on Bloomfield this May 23-26th. Come pass a good time and see this legend before he completely retires.

JoeyA

My opinion - Efren, hands down -

I wish your original post hadn't said 'pool' because ... if it hadn't ... and it included billiards ...

I would have thought, 'Whoa look at that' and said Efren - still - hands down -

monsterdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 Ball - Earl Strickland hands down. Earl had the greatest peak performance in 9 Ball ever imo.

Best All-Around is Efren Reyes. The Magician had astronomical impact on how the game is played with kicks and safety play. His skills on the table are beyond human comprehension that today's players can only dream of attaining. If only he had Busti's break, he'd be more than a legend than he already is.