I had such a great evening

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two buddies and I went to play our league matches in a poolhall unknown to me 40 miles from our club. As usual, I'm assigned 14.1 duty (as if it was a punishment eh ;))

We arrive at the place, and boy! I never saw tables so perfectly straight and flat, with cloths so immaculate and balls that shiny. The place is kind of huge, with a dozen pool tables and as many snooker tables, but you could hear a pin drop. Just the balls going clickety-click. My kind of poolhall. I was expecting to have to a great time already, and I wasn't disappointed.

So, the game was to 50 points. I lost the lag because the table rolled so well I ended up moving a cueball a yard too far, I broke, and the guy ran 48 points and missed. Damnation...

So I thought, I'm not dead yet, I might as well give him a run for his money and accrue as many points as I could for my team, however few.

I ran a 18 balls and missed. He lined up to take his final shots, laughing with his friends as if the game was over already, played too fast and missed. So I took -1 and stuck the cueball somewhere really nasty without touching a rail.

What followed was a full hour of some of the most enjoyable safety play I ever did: some of the shots he did were nothing short of amazing, and some of the ones I did were so good I couldn't believe I was the one doing them. Really, the planets were lined up right or something, I never played safe this good in my entire life.

Anyway, at some point, he left me a shot and I thought, this is my chance. So I played each ball VERY carefully, taking sometimes 5 minutes to decide what to do, grinding slowly my way back up the score ball by ball.

End score: 50-46 for me. I'm drained, but I sure had a good time.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its amazing how the simplest things can give someone so much pleasure especially in 14.1.

Some people dwell on the big runs and while they are fantastic there is something to be said for a lock up safety game.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Now that's straight pool

Great match. It does prove my beliefs that good defense can beat good offense, as pitching does in baseball & defense in football etc, etc, etc.
What a come back. I enjoy watching Accu-Stat matches that are down to the wire. So that you can see both players: miss shots (showing that they are human) just like us and their defense against each other.
Keep up the good work. Enjoyed reading your post.

Last edited:

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Wish I was there to see his face as you were getting closere and closer to the win. Great job...

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Wish I was there to see his face as you were getting closer and closer to the win. Great job...

Bill: Do you do a lot of safety play out west??

Yeah, good safety play can be very interesting.

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wish I was there to see his face as you were getting closere and closer to the win. Great job...

Actually that part was a bit of a drag: I had to fight the urge to think "only x balls left", because I can't count how many times I missed a ball by thinking I couldn't afford to miss it.

the guy ran 48 on his fist inning and then lost two points in the next hour of play?

Yes, ain't that great? :) Twice, he had the option of exiting the rack, hit something and a rail, then come back inside the rack for safety. But the table was so open the cueball would have needed very precise positioning on the way back to be hidden from all possible shots. So instead, twice he chose to push the cueball a little and leave it where it was.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
nice shooting !

i really love that feeling of shooting in a different room, it really puts things into perspective when you are shooting away from your comfort zone.
especially when you dont know your opponent, you really dont know what to expect and what he is capable of.

again, nice game !
Steve

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really, the planets were lined up right or something.

So I played each ball VERY carefully, taking sometimes 5 minutes to decide what to do, grinding slowly my way back up the score ball by ball.
I'm sure that thinking about your shot for 5 minutes at a time must have been excruciating for your opponent! :smile:

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that thinking about your shot for 5 minutes at a time must have been excruciating for your opponent! :smile:

It took that long only for a couple of shots, where I had to decide between an unlikely shot on a ball I could barely see and an equally unlikely safety. But generally speaking, you're right, I sure gave him time to cool off in his chair. The slightest mistake would have given him the game, so I wasn't exactly in a hurry :)

big_wave_dav

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nicely played bro. Great safety play is as exciting to me as pocketing balls. SO much to this game....

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Big ups to you fastolfe. Did the other guy congratulate you or was he pissed? I woulda been pissed :D but that's what happens when you mentally rake the balls before the final shot drops.

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big ups to you fastolfe. Did the other guy congratulate you or was he pissed? I woulda been pissed :D but that's what happens when you mentally rake the balls before the final shot drops.

I think he was more pissed off at me making him go back home at 1:30am than at my winning him. But he wasn't a sore loser, and we had a friendly chat after the match.