Tip Press

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are they necessary. Never used one but willing to try if it makes a substantial improvement. I have no and have not received any complaints from
People that I tipped for. Lately I'm using Triangle or Tom Hayes Ultra tips.
What is the best press to buy?
I tip for fun and hobby only. Thanks. Frank

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Are they necessary. Never used one but willing to try if it makes a substantial improvement. I have no and have not received any complaints from

Some folks will just soak the tip, (mostly Elk Master) and then tighten the tip in a vise with a 1/8" - 3/16" drill bit to stop for a set thickness... Others may use something like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Flat-Ti...662418?hash=item1c6650e752:g:BzsAAOxy7f5SL0w6

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Triangle tips are already pretty hard...... but other tips especially soft tips can use a little pressing......... it will help prevent mushrooming...........

Measure the tip thickness before and after pressing to see how much it squeezed

Kim

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone on here once mentioned whacking tips with a big hammer to press them. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? I laughed out loud!
Works GREAT.

Those cool looking tip presses shown above? Useless.

Robin Snyder

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some folks will just soak the tip, (mostly Elk Master) and then tighten the tip in a vise with a 1/8" - 3/16" drill bit to stop for a set thickness... Others may use something like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Flat-Ti...662418?hash=item1c6650e752:g:BzsAAOxy7f5SL0w6

Triangle tips are already pretty hard...... but other tips especially soft tips can use a little pressing......... it will help prevent mushrooming...........

Measure the tip thickness before and after pressing to see how much it squeezed

Kim

Thanks........

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone on here once mentioned whacking tips with a big hammer to press them. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? I laughed out loud!
Works GREAT.

Those cool looking tip presses shown above? Useless.

Robin Snyder

Hammer tap. The price is right. Will try that next round.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I've been using Triangles & LePros right out of the box with no issues. They play & feel just fine.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Best press is Picone's 14MM press.
Tips come out still 14MM and domed .
You can search them on Ebay.

Don't press layered tips though .
Only single piece ones.

I actually hate working with non-pressed single layer tips.

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member

Frank,

Send me a PM with your address I have a used one I'll send you. I made and sold a bunch of them on here a while ago.

Dave

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I've been using Triangles & LePros right out of the box with no issues. They play & feel just fine.
Some customers want a triangle unpressed, others won't have them unless they're pressed.
Doesn't really matter to me.

Alan

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Some customers want a triangle unpressed, others won't have them unless they're pressed.
Doesn't really matter to me.

Alan

I learned a long time ago that tips get cut off almost immediately. Whether I glue on a Kamui or Elk Master, it gets cut off. I quit gluing on expensive tips or even worrying about what anybody wants unless they make a point to request a specific tip. Instead I glue on what I am currently playing with, which right now is a LePro right out of the box.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned a long time ago that tips get cut off almost immediately. Whether I glue on a Kamui or Elk Master, it gets cut off. I quit gluing on expensive tips or even worrying about what anybody wants unless they make a point to request a specific tip. Instead I glue on what I am currently playing with, which right now is a LePro right out of the box.

Pretty much the same. I bought a bunch of boxes of Super Pros for like $29 a box. They're layered and seem to play pretty damn good really. In my area, most of the folks who ask for specific tips with all the fixin's can barely spell pool much less play pool. I think it's like Starbucks. People seem to want their Kamui Clear, pressed and polished, half-caf latte with not so much foam and a sprinkle of chocolate powder just because their uncle's, brothers, sisters, 4th cousins former roommate used to play with one.