burnish tip...yes or no

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys burnish your tips? The last tip I had installed the installer must have really heated up the tip as the side of the tip was very hard, almost like plastic. It was a triangle tip and I had to use sandpaper where the side meets the tip as the tip wore down. What happens if I don't have the side burnished next time?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Do you guys burnish your tips? The last tip I had installed the installer must have really heated up the tip as the side of the tip was very hard, almost like plastic. It was a triangle tip and I had to use sandpaper where the side meets the tip as the tip wore down. What happens if I don't have the side burnished next time?

Sounds like he put some glue on the side to me. I'd just tell him not to or to back off a bit. I've never had that problem that I recall.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find that doing this reduces how much the tip mushrooms over time. Without burnishing or "adding glue" the tip will need to be reshaped more frequently. As long as the glue area doesn't extend to the tips contact surface, it should be just fine. This is all my opinion of course.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I burnish my Triangles whenever I think it's time but usually go for a couple of months at least, before I do it. I've done this for years with everything except layered tips.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happens if I don't have the side burnished next time?

Media2035.jpg

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I burnish every tip I install, I don't use glue, just a little spit while spinning quick on the lathe.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found quite a variance in hardness among tips from the same box. I usually test them with a sharp tool before selecting which to install. Hard tips work well for a break cue, but straight pool enthusiasts will experience more miscues (IMO). Doesn’t matter what finish you apply to the tip’s side, as a softer tip will always mushroom eventually, which is why I use the plastic burnishing cup before roughing/shaping.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

My thoughts exactly. That must be a picture of a Chandivert mushroom that was not the quality spec the early Champions were. :grin-square:

Seriously, I use Triangles myself, install them myself, and burnish them after each session of play myself. No mushroom issues. One thing to know is the Triangle is pretty coarse, and doesn't really burnish to a high gloss like some other tips. But a wet thumb and paper towel after each session leaves the sides darker and darker, and with no mushrooming. Personal opinion, but glue should not be put on the outside walls of a tip.

All the best for no mushrooming,
WW

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like he put some glue on the side to me. I'd just tell him not to or to back off a bit. I've never had that problem that I recall.

Agreed, must have put some type of adhesive.
I've burnished my tips for years and never had that problem.
A new tip may mushroom slightly, but after shaping it again there is no issues. The sides should wear just like the very tip, mostly from chalking over time.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YES. Spit + leather, paper towel, brown paper bag, or US paper currency, (higher denomination, better results)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not a cue repair dude or what not but IMO it's like this:

The softer the tip = the more burnishing or there will be lots of work to be done in play.

Harder tips = no fuss. Just pick and chalk and play.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I burnish my tips when I have to reshape them and use leather to burnish the tips.
Afterwards tips are not changed but the tip leather becomes darker & easier to sight.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you use shaft wax or have any lying around the house, just wipe some on the side of the tip with your fingertip and burnish it with a dollar bill. It holds a little better than spit and isn’t as extreme as other burnishing methods.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If you get leather hot enough it’s natural glue will melt and make it plasticky with no extra glue necessary.....it’s actually related to the mailliard effect like cooking meat and caramelizing sugar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If you get leather hot enough it’s natural glue will melt and make it plasticky with no extra glue necessary.....it’s actually related to the mailliard effect like cooking meat and caramelizing sugar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's why I recommend burnishing a tip very slowly, over time, with your thumb and paper towel or equivalent. No such melting and plasticizing will result. And no Maillard reaction. And you will have a nice looking tip.

All the best,
WW

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Once again I find myself at odds with the rest of the forum...I must have installed 20 triangle tips, BY HAND, and I have never ever burnished any of them. Triangles are not prone to mushrooming. They will probably move once, or at most twice, and then remain stable, in my experience. What's the big deal taking just a little bit off the side of the tip, anyway? I'm not talking huge overhanging mushroom tip either. Just 2 minutes of your time...Who doesn't have time for TWO minutes, anyway? Are you telling me that if a time-travelling young Sharon Stone would give you "full access" for 2 minutes, you wouldn't have the time?

When it comes to layered tips, it becomes even more pointless. If the repair person has a bad day, or doesn't know what he is doing, the heat from burnishing (on a lathe) can completely destroy the tip. I think this is one of the big reasons for the complaints some people have with layered tips. The guy putting them on butchered them, trying to make them look nice! Or the owner did the infantry style bayonet charge with the tip pick, (stab, twist, retract). Again, one or at most two trimmings (just very carefully with a strip of sandpaper that never touches the ferrule) will do the job. But if you are playing with some kind of sponge tip like Kamui SS, then burnishing with glue or something will even make them play funny. I hate them anyway, but with such treatment they're even worse!

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Once again I find myself at odds with the rest of the forum...I must have installed 20 triangle tips, BY HAND, and I have never ever burnished any of them. Triangles are not prone to mushrooming. They will probably move once, or at most twice, and then remain stable, in my experience. What's the big deal taking just a little bit off the side of the tip, anyway? I'm not talking huge overhanging mushroom tip either. Just 2 minutes of your time...Who doesn't have time for TWO minutes, anyway? Are you telling me that if a time-travelling young Sharon Stone would give you "full access" for 2 minutes, you wouldn't have the time?

When it comes to layered tips, it becomes even more pointless. If the repair person has a bad day, or doesn't know what he is doing, the heat from burnishing (on a lathe) can completely destroy the tip. I think this is one of the big reasons for the complaints some people have with layered tips. The guy putting them on butchered them, trying to make them look nice! Or the owner did the infantry style bayonet charge with the tip pick, (stab, twist, retract). Again, one or at most two trimmings (just very carefully with a strip of sandpaper that never touches the ferrule) will do the job. But if you are playing with some kind of sponge tip like Kamui SS, then burnishing with glue or something will even make them play funny. I hate them anyway, but with such treatment they're even worse!

Think I said basically the same thing, though maybe not with the same amount of perspicacity and sagacity, but I think just as erudite.

Bottom line, not too much to do on the sides of a tip. Just be kind to it. It's not rocket science.

All the best,
WW

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think I said basically the same thing, though maybe not with the same amount of perspicacity and sagacity, but I think just as erudite.

Bottom line, not too much to do on the sides of a tip. Just be kind to it. It's not rocket science.

All the best,
WW
I'm gonna look some of those words up when I find my dictionary! lol