New Redesigned Valley Pool Tables Just off the trucks

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I personally like Vally Bar Boxes, and think DIAMONDS are over rated. Almost all the BARS in Phoenix have VALLEYS!!!

I like Valley tables also and this design change is the best thing they've done to their tables. I have banged my break cue shaft on those metal raised corners more times than I care to remember.

I don't know how much you've played on Diamond 7' tables, but I don't see how you can say "they're over rated". I got the chance to play on a number of different Diamond 7' tables this year when the TAP Pool League Nationals were held here in Charleston and i've never seen a 7' table that played so much like a 9' table before. The Diamond tables are the best table i've ever hit a ball on and i'd give a lot to have one in my home.......

James

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Looks nice. but now if they would get rid of ALL of the metal trim and replace the pocket inserts from rubber to leather it would be a real step in the right direction. What's so hard about it? Just give the consumer what they are looking for.

I agree with you, but man that new design is a step in the right direction.

James

HudsonSmith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There has been a lot of talk among the players about the cost of the new valley table I was standing next to Dr Cue's area when someone asked Gary Benson the TD for vnea about the cost he said to ask David Corrigan who is with valley/dynamo I'll get back with any info I find!

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Many good points in this thread. Glen hit the nail on the head with the facts about trying to redesign a 50 yr old technology with new window dressing on the outside. Valley bar boxes are geared towards a different crowd than the Diamonds. Most bar box game prices are absurdly cheap in order to draw a crowd in that spends money on drinks. Diamonds are usually more expensive because they are trying to attract better players instead of drinkers. Bangers outnumber good players by a large margin so catering to that crowd is a business decision that is crucial to the bar crowd. Bangers love small loose tables that are cheap. Hard to convert that group.

I personally do not see why people compare Diamond Smart 7 foot tables to the typical bar box. They seem like two completely different tables for two completely different demographics.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If you've played long enough and been around enough honky tonks, then you've gotten either your shirt torn, your hand cut or, your shaft damaged when your cue slides along the rail hitting the pocket iron on its way to the floor, this one physical change is great. Many vendors who supply allot of tables to their local market most likely would never purchase a Diamond just because of cost. What I would also of liked to see, a protective strip of some type on the bottom of the apron to protect the side laminate from the hits of the cue butt from pissed off drunks when they miss. I've seen many B/Boxs with chunks missing at the apron bottom.

HudsonSmith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There has been a lot of talk among the players about the cost of the new valley table I was standing next to Dr Cue's area when someone asked Gary Benson the TD for vnea about the cost he said to ask David Corrigan who is with valley/dynamo I'll get back with any info I find!

OK here we go, there was about 10 of us standing around watching Dave Pearson you know the world speed pool champion, (Pearson is doing a live world record attempt tonight and 3 or 4 local networks will be there) Dave from valley/dynamo showed up and was talking to some people about the new valley table. Someone asked how much for the new valley, he mumbled either $2495 or $2595 plus freight.
IMHO if you are going to make something better and in this economy don't Jack the price up 25% maybe a couple hundred dollars or so but no more.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
OK here we go, there was about 10 of us standing around watching Dave Pearson you know the world speed pool champion, (Pearson is doing a live world record attempt tonight and 3 or 4 local networks will be there) Dave from valley/dynamo showed up and was talking to some people about the new valley table. Someone asked how much for the new valley, he mumbled either $2495 or $2595 plus freight.
IMHO if you are going to make something better and in this economy don't Jack the price up 25% maybe a couple hundred dollars or so but no more.

Valley just scewed themselves by raising the price that much. I believe now more home table pool players and good sports bars will look for used Diamonds at big tournaments befor they pay almost the same for a new Valley. Johnnyt

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
It appears on first sight the short marriage between Brunswick and Valley did have one good result. The solution to the raised pocket trim appears to be the same. Both the new Valley and a GC V now look like a Diamond!!!! Took one smart cookie to realize who had the better solution.

Lyn

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
It appears on first sight the short marriage between Brunswick and Valley did have one good result. The solution to the raised pocket trim appears to be the same. Both the new Valley and a GC V now look like a Diamond!!!! Took one smart cookie to realize who had the better solution.

Lyn

It's no different than Ford/Chevy/Dodge etc. they all get better because of one another. The Valleys created the Greg Sullivan evolution of the bar box and vise versa. Some can afford a German car others can't and some don't care, I think its great to have more choices as we're all different. Was valley first, Dyanamo second and so forth with the Irving K being the Diamond of its era.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Isn't that about the price the coin - op version HAS been selling for ?

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many good points in this thread. Glen hit the nail on the head with the facts about trying to redesign a 50 yr old technology with new window dressing on the outside. Valley bar boxes are geared towards a different crowd than the Diamonds. Most bar box game prices are absurdly cheap in order to draw a crowd in that spends money on drinks. Diamonds are usually more expensive because they are trying to attract better players instead of drinkers. Bangers outnumber good players by a large margin so catering to that crowd is a business decision that is crucial to the bar crowd. Bangers love small loose tables that are cheap. Hard to convert that group.

I personally do not see why people compare Diamond Smart 7 foot tables to the typical bar box. They seem like two completely different tables for two completely different demographics.

Can you make a distinction in the demographics ? There is no new technology , there is no technology in a pool table except for the coin-op mechanism and the ball returns . Drop pocket pool tables are essentially unchanged for many years.

Diamond is after the same market as Valley .

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen new valley tables online selling for $1800 or $1900 somewhere in or around Salt Lake city about a year or so ago in a google ad

The ball return models (non coin-op) were in last year's Mueller's catalog for $1995.00 or something like that.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball return models (non coin-op) were in last year's Mueller's catalog for $1995.00 or something like that.

Yes , i saw those to , the were the Tiger home table , or as you said non coin-op , i think the mid 2000 mark is essentially what they have been selling for , and depending on the vendor , even more.

Don't see them raising their prices for a minor revision . They are still 50% cheaper then Diamonds per internet pricing . I like Diamonds alright , but are they worth double the price ? That is the used price on Diamonds per their website .

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yes , i saw those to , the were the Tiger home table , or as you said non coin-op , i think the mid 2000 mark is essentially what they have been selling for , and depending on the vendor , even more.

Don't see them raising their prices for a minor revision . They are still 50% cheaper then Diamonds per internet pricing . I like Diamonds alright , but are they worth double the price ? That is the used price on Diamonds per their website .

Yes, the Diamonds are really that much better....in 20 years from now the Diamond is still going to look good and still be going strong...while the Valley will be at the end of it's useful life....beat up and worn out...but NOT the Diamond;)

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My old Valley seems to be the inspiration for some of the new design features of the new Valley's pockets. Remember those cue holders? This table appears to be a Valley 72, circa 1968 -72, from Valley web site data and is still set for .25/game. It is quite beat up but keeps me occupied nicely.

View attachment 140431 View attachment 140432
View attachment 140433

Nice Clovis , your corners look aluminum . The down corners look flush on yours , where as the new ones have the wrap around metal . The late 50's Valley's look completely different , but the present incarnation looks like the old Fisher's .

Nothing is new on the present tables except the bmaterials are a little different . Looking back to my elementary school days in the 60's the desks went from particle board tops with a laminate counter top material to a curved plywood seat on metal base to tubular metal base with plastic seat but the same particle board top with laminate.

I remember taking a pair of scissors and hollowing out parts of the particle board and then filling the holes with Elmer's glue , putting tape ovet the glue to let it dry and fill the void.

Yeah , i was bored:D. Wish i had a place for a table .

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a few racks on these and I have two things to say

1. Fix the balls spitting out of the pockets. Balls go down and come back up way too often.

2. Remove all metal from the inside of the pockets. The balls have huge dings in them from the allen bolts next to the pocket facings. Looks like a ring worm was sucking on the balls.

I'd recommend staying with the ZD8\Great 8 model until they get these two items fixed. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out before they start shipping these out to the public.