$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video with a score of 88. Here it is:

Dr. Dave - BU Exam I - 88 - 4/17/2018

This is a new Exam I PR for me; although, I was still a little disappointed after giving away several "easy" points. Although, I got a 17 on the wagon wheel drill, which is a good score for me. I still can't consistently score above a 6 on the draw drill. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, but it will take a lot more work. The additional points don't come easy.

Let's see some more scores and videos from others. The BU Exams are excellent practice, and some of you guys might win some cash in the Challenge.

Good luck,
Dave
I just broke my PR again today, with a 91! A 19 out of 20 on the target drill helped (although, I was disappointed because the shot I missed was one of the easy ones). My new goal is 95! Here's my new video:

BU Exam I - Dr. Dave - 91 - 4/19/2018

Let's see some scores and videos from others,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just announced an Exam challenge with money prizes. Here it is:
$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge.

You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

The Challenge video describes how to enter and runs through the entire Exam.

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave
Here are the top 3 scores to date:

1.) Dr. Dave Alciatore - 91 - video
2.) Ken Cileli video - 88 - video
3.) Tom Davis video - 73 - video

Can anybody out there in AZB-land crack into the top 3 to win some of the cash?

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good luck,
Dave
Is anybody out there in AZB-land going to take a stab at topping my 91? I hope so. I need a new goal to motivate me to work hard again.

The hard work toward the 91 helped me identify and fix a couple of small flaws in my technique. This kind of work and video review really helps me sharpen my game. I hope this will be the case for others also.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good luck,
Dave
Ken Cileli just posted a 91, matching my top score to date, so I better start practicing again!

Hopefully, Tom can also find more time to practice and threaten the top spot (assuming he is able to sleep with the new baby). Also, hopefully, some top players out there will get involved and go for the 100 max score and $2500 top prize.

Here are the latest top 3 scores and videos:

2.) Ken Cileli video - 91 - video

Regards,
Dave

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jin stayed home with a toothache..... today got unofficially 44 points :D
1 - 4 points
2 - 4 points
3 - 5 points
4 - 3 points
5 - 4 points
6 - 3 points
7 - 11 points (wagon wheel, he beat me on my score!!)
8 - 10 points

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jin stayed home with a toothache..... today got unofficially 44 points :D
1 - 4 points
2 - 4 points
3 - 5 points
4 - 3 points
5 - 4 points
6 - 3 points
7 - 11 points (wagon wheel, he beat me on my score!!)
8 - 10 points
Awesome! When he is ready, post videos of him doing both Exam I and Exam II, and I'll send you that free diploma I promised.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just announced an Exam challenge with money prizes. Here it is:

You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave
Here are the top 3 scores and videos to date:

2.) Ken Cileli video - 91 - video

There are 71 days left before the end of the challenge (July 31, 2018).

I hope to see more entries, and I hope somebody can achieve a perfect score of 100.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good luck and have fun,
Dave

1.) Dr. Dave Alciatore - 91 - video ($2000)
2.) Ken Cileli - 91 - video ($1000)
3.) Tom Davis - 73 - video ($500)

There are only 59 days left before the end of the challenge (July 31, 2018).

I hope to see more entries, and I really hope somebody can achieve a perfect score of 100 (for $2500).

There should be quite a few AZB'ers out there who could easily take over the 3rd place spot ($500); and I'm sure some of you are capable of taking over 1st place ($2000) with a little dedicated and focused practice.

Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI - I did email the video link to you, let me know if you don't get it.

-td
FYI, somebody just sent me an email pointing out that you had the target in the wrong orientation in your video with the center position of the target drill (F8). If you post another attempt in the future, please use the proper orientation. It looks like it would have cost you 1 point.

I hope things are going well with your new-born.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good luck and have fun,
Dave

3.) Scott Brazier - 81 - video ($500)

There are only 43 days left before the end of the challenge (July 31, 2018).

There should be some other AZB'ers out there who could break into the top 3, and I'm sure some of you are capable of taking over 1st place ($2000) with a little dedicated and focused practice. Maybe even a perfect score of 100 (for $2500) is possible.

Good luck,
Dave

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Hmmmm... I've been looking for a set of drills to work on, having never shot actual organized drills in my life.... I think this might be just the thing.

I will try to get a video up in the next week or two..

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There should be some other AZB'ers out there who could break into the top 3, and I'm sure some of you are capable of taking over 1st place ($2000) with a little dedicated and focused practice. Maybe even a perfect score of 100 (for $2500) is possible.

Good luck,
Dave

I agree.

I have been very surprised at the scores so far.

Don't take me wrong all that posted did well but I am truly expecting better from someone on here.

Rake

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hmmmm... I've been looking for a set of drills to work on, having never shot actual organized drills in my life.... I think this might be just the thing.

I will try to get a video up in the next week or two..
I’m glad to hear it. I look forward to seeing how high you can score.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good luck,
Dave
I agree.

I have been very surprised at the scores so far.

Don't take me wrong all that posted did well but I am truly expecting better from someone on here.

Rake
Do you plan to give it a go?

Catch you later,
Dave

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, I hope there is another challenge in near future.

Recent back surgery pretty much killed my chances of doing it by your deadline.....or maybe even forever. We'll see.

Regardless, I have truly enjoyed watching each and every player in this thread. It's good to see so many talented and dedicated players that post on AZB actually play.

This thread has proven to be a very useful tool just as the ghost thread did.

Also, I want to say that members like you and a few others make this site worth joining and even more important, being active.

Regardless of a person's skill level, you folks contribute info that can help everyone so much and hardly ever receive anything in return (that I'm aware of).

Thank you,

Rake

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also, I hope there is another challenge in near future.
This was our 2nd challenge. We'll probably do more in the future, but only if we can get participation from more top players and pros. It is disappointing that we are offering $4000 for something that is excellent practice, with no entry fee or travel required, and no pros have entered.

Recent back surgery pretty much killed my chances of doing it by your deadline.....or maybe even forever. We'll see.
I hope your recovery is speedy and complete.

Regardless, I have truly enjoyed watching each and every player in this thread. It's good to see so many talented and dedicated players that post on AZB actually play.

This thread has proven to be a very useful tool just as the ghost thread did.

Also, I want to say that members like you and a few others make this site worth joining and even more important, being active.

Regardless of a person's skill level, you folks contribute info that can help everyone so much and hardly ever receive anything in return (that I'm aware of).

Thank you,

Rake
Thank you for your supportive comments.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good luck and have fun,
Dave

Good luck,
Dave
Several people have suggested via PM and e-mail that it seems a little odd that I am entering my own challenge, given that I am co-sponsoring the event through the Billiard University (which I co-own).

I contemplated this question quite a bit before I entered the contest, but I decided to enter since I am following the same rules as everybody else and have no unfair advantage. I also like that my personal game benefits a lot from the dedicated practice and hard work I am putting in as a result of the motivation provided by the challenge.

Also, I see nothing wrong with offering money to challenge others (at no cost to them) to beat my top score. There is also precedence for sponsoring or organizing players entering their own events (e.g., Darren Appleton's World Pool Series, Nick Varner's Classic, etc.).

What do you guys think? Should I be allowed to enter my own challenge?

Thanks,
Dave

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Several people have suggested via PM and e-mail that it seems a little odd that I am entering my own challenge, given that I am co-sponsoring the event through the Billiard University (which I co-own).

I contemplated this question quite a bit before I entered the contest, but I decided to enter since I am following the same rules as everybody else and have no unfair advantage. I also like that my personal game benefits a lot from the dedicated practice and hard work I am putting in as a result of the motivation provided by the challenge.

Also, I see nothing wrong with offering money to challenge others (at no cost to them) to beat my top score. There is also precedence for sponsoring or organizing players entering their own events (e.g., Darren Appleton's World Pool Series, Nick Varner's Classic, etc.).

What do you guys think? Should I be allowed to enter my own challenge?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes.

No fee's for anyone to enter, why the heck not.