Karella cues USA or imported????

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
I just bought a used cue and was not sure who made it. After putting a post on here I pretty sure it is a KC-6 from Karella Custom cue.Their add says the custom line is made in the USA but their regular line does not I am reading on some sites that they are imported from the same oversees factory as Adams and Lucasi ect,and other sites say they are made in the U.S. and the company also sells cues from the oversees factory.The cue seems well constructed to me,looks and feels a lot like my Schons butI have not hit with it yet.Can someone tell me the real deal are they advertising imports as American made or not or maybe I'm wrong about it being a Karella Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1199.jpg
    Picture 1199.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4,351
  • Picture 1128.jpg
    Picture 1128.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4,178
  • Picture 1203.jpg
    Picture 1203.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3,926

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Imported...

Best cues made by 6 year olds chained to lathes... :grin:

JV

triley41395

Silver Member
Please say it aint so!!! I was afraid of that!!! if that not false advertisment then I dont know what is. I'm betting that anyone who sees their add doesnt know they are imported. anyone interested in a nice American made cue(really its american made,just look at their add, they wouldnt lie now would they) http://www.competitionsports.com/karella_custom_cues.asp

Last edited:

triley41395

Silver Member
Try my link again I think it works now. Sorry the stupid thing has to be underlined I think

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I used to own a Karella that many people thought was a Schon. It was my main playing cue for a few years before getting stolen in San Diego.

Played good, but was weighted a little different than most cues.

triley41395

Silver Member
I found another link that says they are made in the USA.I dont think a company would go from oversees manufacturing back to US but maybe they didnt like the quality they were getting.For some reason I still feel a little leary about Thinking its made in the US.Maybe because I bought it cheap and kinda thought it was too good to be true.
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/karella/karella.htm

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
The link works for me.

In this thread on the Inside Pool forums, Fred Agnir says Karella cues were made by Adam. But, as you found, Billiard Warehouse says they're made in the USA. I remember seeing an ad for these many years ago and vaguely remember mention of them being made in NY. I'm not sure which is correct. I was interested in these when I first saw the ad and wouldn't mind trying one.

Update: Billiard Warehouse's page for Adam DX cues says: "Adams Cues are made by Competition Sports. Competition Sports also makes Balabushka, Helmstetter, Hercules, Karella and Stinger Cues." I thought Adam cues are made by Miki in Japan, but lower-end models are made in China. I don't know how that applies to the other brands made by Miki. Easy Pool Tutor has Karella listed under NY.

Last edited:

triley41395

Silver Member
I bought the cue because i really liked how it looked.It appeared to be well made,looked a lot like my Schons and just felt solid.I could have bought a plain Sherm he had for a little less but it was just that "plain". I am going to go tomorrow and shoot with it and if I like how it hits I'll keep it,if not I'll just sell it as what it is, a Karella Custom Cue

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I just bought a used cue and was not sure who made it. After putting a post on here I pretty sure it is a KC-6 from Karella Custom cue.Their add says the custom line is made in the USA but their regular line does not I am reading on some sites that they are imported from the same oversees factory as Adams and Lucasi ect,and other sites say they are made in the U.S. and the company also sells cues from the oversees factory.The cue seems well constructed to me,looks and feels a lot like my Schons butI have not hit with it yet.Can someone tell me the real deal are they advertising imports as American made or not or maybe I'm wrong about it being a Karella Thanks

The karrela line of cues is nothing but a Brand name of cue that was imported by Competition Sports which is located in Farmingdale, New York. The way this brand came into existance is very interesting and I suspect most people will be surprised who designed the brand and who it is particaly named after.

In the 1980's David Foreman leased the distribution rights to Adam Custom cues to Competition Sports, who took on the US distribution for all Adam Custom cue brands. Competition sports at that time had a part time repairman who worked in their repair shop 2 or 3 days a week and did repair for older Adam cues and current cues that where sent back for warranty work, and his name was Pete Tascarella. Yes this is the same Pete Tascarella who took over George Balabushkas equipment and materials, and he is also the builder of Tascarella Custom Cues, which are very much in demand. During this time Pete helped Competition Sports secure the rights from the Balabushka family to build Balabushka production cues that are still being made today. During this time Competition sports also started the Karella series cues, I am uncertain of all the locations they were produced in but, they have been made all over Asia like the Balabushka Cues.

The owner of competition sports asked Pete Tascarella to design the initial line of Karella cues, and the name Karella came from a combination of Tascarella with the first letter (K) being from the first letter of the Compettions Sports owners name.

In 2004, David Foremans son Jed Foreman took over control of the production Adam Custom Cues from Competition Sports. Since that time, while the Balabushka, Karella and some other brand names of cues are still made by Competition Sports they no longer have the distribution rights to the Adams Custom Cue Brand.

Just some information some may not know!!!

mreightball

Silver Member
Hello Manwon:
Very interesting information. How were you able to know all the details?
Sounds like you were there.
Thanks
Ron

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The karrela line of cues is nothing but a Brand name of cue that was imported by Competition Sports which is located in Farmingdale, New York. The way this brand came into existance is very interesting and I suspect most people will be surprised who designed the brand and who it is particaly named after.

In the 1980's David Foreman leased the distribution rights to Adam Custom cues to Competition Sports, who took on the US distribution for all Adam Custom cue brands. Competition sports at that time had a part time repairman who worked in their repair shop 2 or 3 days a week and did repair for older Adam cues and current cues that where sent back for warranty work, and his name was Pete Tascarella. Yes this is the same Pete Tascarella who took over George Balabushkas equipment and materials, and he is also the builder of Tascarella Custom Cues, which are very much in demand. During this time Pete helped Competition Sports secure the rights from the Balabushka family to build Balabushka production cues that are still being made today. During this time Competition sports also started the Karella series cues, I am uncertain of all the locations they were produced in but, they have been made all over Asia like the Balabushka Cues.

The owner of competition sports asked Pete Tascarella to design the initial line of Karella cues, and the name Karella came from a combination of Tascarella with the first letter (K) being from the first letter of the Compettions Sports owners name.

In 2004, David Foremans son Jed Foreman took over control of the production Adam Custom Cues from Competition Sports. Since that time, while the Balabushka, Karella and some other brand names of cues are still made by Competition Sports they no longer have the distribution rights to the Adams Custom Cue Brand.

Just some information some may not know!!!

Great info Craig. Thanks!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Hello Manwon:
Very interesting information. How were you able to know all the details?
Sounds like you were there.
Thanks
Ron

Ron, I have been a retailer since late 1999 and Competition sports was one of my Wholesalers. My sales representative was with the company from the early days of the company. I use to buy and sell allot of Helmstetter, and Balabushka cues. All the information I provided in the post came directly from Competition sports. Now, I deal directly with Jed Foreman, David Foreman's son, he also has confirmed much of what I was told. There is more to the story, and some day additional information will come out, that may surprise many people, but that is another story and it is not one I want to be in the middle of!!!!!!!:smile:

Last edited:

Larry A

hey, would you be interested in selling that KC-6 ? i currently have the KC-12, KC-11, and KC-10..... plus one not shown in any catalog i've seen. I love the way they play, in particular the balance... very good feel.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Ron, I have been a retailer since late 1999 and Competition sports was one of my Wholesalers. My sales representative was with the company from the early days of the company. I use to buy and sell allot of Helmstetter, and Balabushka cues. All the information I provided in the post came directly from Competition sports. Now, I deal directly with Jed Foreman, David Foreman's son, he also has confirmed much of what I was told. There is more to the story, and some day additional information will come out, that may surprise many people, but that is another story and it is not one I want to be in the middle of!!!!!!!:smile:

Sounds like some nice old fashioned DIRT, that might make for a really juicy story.:D

I'm sure that most of us can speculate and come pretty close to the mark.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
So what is this guys name that owns Competition Sports?

If you call him and ask him I'm sure he will tell you what the truth is...

They have a toll free number if anyone wants to ask him.

They had been thinking about building cues in the states, and almost bought CCC that little factory in NC. This was the original plan as to where Karrela was to be built after they decided not to buy that factory. I'm not sure. This is about the time I stopped playing pool...I do know that they had planned on making them here in the USA. Not real sure what happend.

Here is where you can find out the truth about your cue...Ask for Don Spekter he owns Competition Sports and has your answer.
1-800-645-2162