An embarrassing collapse...

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I have been trying not to stew about how things went earlier tonight,and comprehend exactly what happened.

Here's the scenario. I go to a bar table handicap 9 ball tournament where I am ranked as an 8.

My first 3 opponents on the winner's side are a 5,4,and a 5. All 3 of them can run out.

I win those 3 matches by a combined score of 24-6. If you take away the 3 games my opponents won via break and run or a good break and an early combo where I didn't shoot that rack,I came to the table with what I felt at the time were spots where I am SUPPOSED to run out 27 times after my opponent's mistakes,or successful safeties/return safes,etc.

Not giving in to pressure,or getting lazy with my fundamentals,losing focus,etc,I play pretty well during this stretch and manage to get out 24 of those 27 times. It wasn't perfect,but for those 3 sets that is pretty solid unless you are Shane,Shaw,etc.

I've been trying hard to keep my sugar under control so I go out to the car and check it. It's a little high for me,so I go ahead and take a insulin shot,and go back in and wait maybe 10-15 min before my next match is up,which is the hot seat and I'm playing a 5 again.

Now I know that such a delicate thing as focus is impossible to measure,but without any noticable drop in my intensity level or attention to detail,for whatever reason I came to the table and missed a wide open ball 5 games in a row :welcome:. These mistakes come in the form of him only having to run 5 balls with ball in hand one game,leaving him with just 2 balls left 3 times,and another where I manage to hook myself on the 8 by drawing my cue ball 1/2 inch when trying to roll forward a foot :shakehead:.

I didn't look past this opponent,or start trying to run around the table too fast,or just quit trying to play right,or any of the common reasons for such a drop in skill level. I can be solid with myself on that.

It's hard to say for sure it was caused by the insulin,because I didn't feel any weirdness like when it drops too fast too quick,but whatever it was all of a sudden shots I had owned all night with very nice control were missed for NO reason,5 racks in a row. I hadn't missed an open ball 2 racks in a row all night up until then.

Now I play the only other 8 handicap in the tournament,and in those 14 games (I lost 8-6 to finish 3rd) I had a wide open shot to run out EVERY GAME,but only got out 6 times. There were a couple bad rolls mixed in there,but all I have to do is get out when I'm supposed to just 2 more times and I would have had a chance to redeem myself with the double-dip the first guy in the finals.

I never got tight or nervous,and kept telling myself I can fight thru this,but instead of me executing properly,and being able to quickly sort out what is causing these misses and recover/adjust,I go thru my PSR and everything feels right,and the physical mistake that ensued is a WTF? :scratchhead: surprise .

I don't know about your own personal standard for level of play,but in my own little world missing a wide open ball or making a position error when there is no reason for it 13 out of 19 games makes me wanna PUKE :confused: :embarrassed2: :angry:.

Surely someone has something to offer here because I've gotten all the useful info I can from it and still don't have the reason for it pinned down.

Thanks to all who respond with something insightful :cool:,Tommy D.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy, it might be your alignment over the cue. I know it has happened to me before also. Everything still feels good, but tend to get a little sloppy when rollin along and eventually don't approach the table quite right. That tends to have my head out of place just enough to cause a miss on an easy shot.

That is where a solid PSR is so important to have. To approach each shot the same way whenever possible.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably in your case it's related to you sugar. For me when I'm failing to pocket balls I clean my glasses. I always clean them with soap and water before I start to play but if I'm not pocketing balls I clean them again. When I'm playing good like you were I don't change anything but I don't have your physical problems.

My advice would be if you need insulin take it even if it messes up your pool game. I believe Mizerak went into a diabetic coma and never came out.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Probably in your case it's related to you sugar. For me when I'm failing to pocket balls I clean my glasses. I always clean them with soap and water before I start to play but if I'm not pocketing balls I clean them again. When I'm playing good like you were I don't change anything but I don't have your physical problems.

My advice would be if you need insulin take it even if it messes up your pool game. I believe Mizerak went into a diabetic coma and never came out.

This would be my guess also. Have you taken insulin while playing pool before? Doesnt your eyesight typical improve when as your blood sugar gets higher? I am not diabetic but I know several insulin dependent people. One of my friends has been insulin dependent since he was 9, 45 years so far. I can tell when his blood sugar starts getting low but its a little harder to tell when it gets high. It was not unusual for his BS to get low while shooting league together. He would get home from work, check his numbers, take insulin with the knowledge that he would be eating dinner then heading to shoot pool for league all in less than the next hour. Several times I could tell by the way he was shooting and acting that his BS must have been taking a dive. I would get him a soda and a candy bar or 2 to try to get him better, it would take a good 1/2 hour before he had his wits about him again. He didnt hide the fact that he was diabetic but he would only check his BS at home or other areas of privacy for whatever reason even though I always suggested he bring his stuff along with him. I was at his house when Paramedics had to come as his BS dipped to the 20s. Its not unusual for his BS to be in the 40's one day then 700 or higher the next day. Make sure you do a better job of taking care of yourself.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Tommy, it might be your alignment over the cue. I know it has happened to me before also. Everything still feels good, but tend to get a little sloppy when rollin along and eventually don't approach the table quite right. That tends to have my head out of place just enough to cause a miss on an easy shot.

That is where a solid PSR is so important to have. To approach each shot the same way whenever possible.

Sometimes when I get into a shot making funk I catch myself tilting my head in a way that is not natural to good alignment. In other words, my head is not squared up and I'm probably not getting the full benefit of my master eye. It's because I get lazy and don't focus on that part of the routine.

I'm not saying that this is the OP's problem....just something to think about.

Maniac

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
With this particular insulin immediate food isn't necessary,but usually I get the best results if I eat maybe 2 hours later. While that may be what works best for me physically,I like to take my time even eating a sandwich. If I absolutely HAD to I certainly would have,I'd have preferred to not hold up the progress of the tournament just to eat while my opponent stands around looking at his phone and trying to rush me as a shark move,LOL.

I'm leaning towards just choosing the wrong time to take the insulin.

I also feel that regardless of what changed,that my mistakes at the table were 1005 of a physical nature. The nature of the error is now I'm missing makeable balls for NO reason,and either getting no spin or 4x what I expected out of the cue ball.

Bottom line is I went from playing well enough to have beaten almost anyone for 3 races to 8 to leaving people 2 ball outs in less than an hour.

There has to be something I can define here so I can correct it,but what? Sure I can make sure I don't take the insulin shot while I'm playing again,but that doesn't correct the fundamental errors at the table. Tommy D.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Be careful where you place the blame. Too often we give ourselves a "logical" excuse that prevents us from ever actually finding the real source of the problem. I'm not saying your situation isn't the result of your sugar levels. It may be. But I am not diabetic & what you describe is something I have struggled with.

I found my issue to be fatigue, especially mentally. I may begin a tourney or long match quite strong & at some point I hit a wall, unable to function properly. I cannot map out a run or choose shots wisely, and even though my body feels fine I cannot pocket balls or control the rock. I go from phenom to dumdum as if somebody flipped the switch.

Conditioning is what I lacked, and naturally I helped it with exercise. I practiced more often for longer periods. Not played, but practiced. It actually paid dividends, not so much in my skill but my sharpness & stamina. Rather than starting strong & crashing, I was able to play strong for many hours. When that crash eventually did come, it was more of a swooping lull that I could grind through and eventually gain a second wind.

It kinda sucks because I see folks who play the same consistency every time, all the time. That never worked out for me. I have to work at it. Your issue may be sugar related, but may not be. I'd caution at placing blame too early. Perhaps you simply need more table conditioning.

JoeyM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am diabetic also. I find that if my sugar is in a certain range, then I pocket balls fairly well. When my sugar is lower or higher than the range, then I am capable of missing a ball 3 inches from the pocket. Have been known to miss the whole ball. It's weird but my vision gets off just enough.

It looks like everything is lined up correctly to make the shot but it is not even close. For instance, this happened yesterday. My sugar was off a bit. If the object was 1.5 ft from the pocket and the cueball was 1.5 ft from the object ball at let's say a 20 degree angle, I would rattle it in the pocket just enough that it wouldn't fall. Banking with the OB at the other end of the table from the CB and I would hit the wrong side of the OB and bank in the opposite direction than I intended. I play on 9 ft tables. I imagine on a bar box, I might make a few more balls but with any distance, still would struggle.

Not saying it's the case for everyone but of the diabetics that I know of they all experience roughly the same things.

JoeyM

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm, I know that feeling, from what I've learned about myself when that happens is that my eye patterns change. When I'm playing well I know that the lines all become very apparent as I start from cue ball to OB straight on the back to cue ball as I'm going down into the shot then back to the cue ball. As I deliver the cue, my eyes are on the cue ball, following through with the cue and my eyes to the OB.

Hopefully that makes sense, but I've noticed that sugar and/or other substances can alter my eye patterns. Idk

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Sometimes when I get into a shot making funk I catch myself tilting my head in a way that is not natural to good alignment. In other words, my head is not squared up and I'm probably not getting the full benefit of my master eye. It's because I get lazy and don't focus on that part of the routine.

I'm not saying that this is the OP's problem....just something to think about.

Maniac

Did I mention that six months ago I was diagnosed with type II diabetes (my blood sugar level was 393)?

It was around that same time when I too started shooting like crap, missing easily makeable balls.

Hmmmmmmm.

Maniac

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is this something affecting your vision?

Tommy, I would echo this. I would also add, that what may be happening to you may not even be recognizable to you. I have worked with two, type 1 diabetics, and sometimes there are slight changes in their mannerisms, behaviors, etc, that they don't even recognize at the time. I have also witnessed these changes manifested in more dramatic proportion. Your sugar, insulin, adrenalin, are likely interconnected to some degree. Have someone who knows you well, act as a "spotter" if you will. Ask them to watch your behavioral patterns while you shoot. Sometimes, an outside perspective can be invaluable. You also may be having lapses in time recognition...What I mean by this is, you might either be slowing down, or speeding up your PSR, without even realizing it. Use something as simple as a glass of water to help you with your pace. Take a shot or two, then get a sip of water. It will help you, to keep a certain pace, just in case your rhythm is unintentionally changing, due to your insulin/sugar/adrenal spikes.
Best regards. :cool:
Joe P

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
is this something affecting your vision?

I'm a type 2 diabetic and not on insulin yet. Just meds and careful diet. But yes, my vision can change depending on blood sugar level...

And yes, it can screw up my game by having misses I can't believe because I thought all was well.

Last edited:

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far you have described a one time incident. I would take note of the things you did and how you felt and move on. You don't really have enough info yet to pin down a reason. It could be related to your sugar level; but it could be something else too. Or you could have just had a bad night.

In the future, try to keep track to compare with this night without being too hard on yourself. Your focus should be on your game and not the past - good luck. That's what I'd do!