Where's the action? None in California!

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
Im still scratching my head what made you think people who wear a glove dont gamble.. is there some type of sterotype with people who wear a glove?

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmohawk said:
If you want action, go to a Poker Room with everyone else. Play pool because you love it. If it is just a vehicle to gamble for you, we are better off without you.

Oh quit being an old fuddyduddy schmo.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
It seems like you could always find action before. Rooms would have an afternoon crowd, then an evening crowd. The evening crowd at Family on non tournament nights is a young, non serious playing crowd. There are plenty of people willing to play me, especially now since I haven't been playing much. But what I was trying to bring up was the lack of action between the top local guys. I see a few guys who are willing to play but not many. I don't think this is a seasonal thing, people just don't seem to be matching up to me.

I hear you, dog. My area sounds the same. Used to
be a lot of action in the afternoon, now it's a morgue.
I blame Bush.

Troy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just don't understand the obsession about gambling. Certainly not the obsession about WATCHING other people gamble. I've been in and around pool rooms and this sport/game for many, many years and it's always the same. Guys complaining simply 'cuz they can't WATCH people play for money. Doesn't make sense to me. Then, being a 'horse has always been on the list of most rediculous occupations.
If you want to play then go for it. It's definitely not mandatory that the world knows about it. And more than likely the world doesn't really care either.
JMHO...

Troy...~~~ Now waiting for the flak, knows it's coming...

Last edited:

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Schmohawk has a point, although he shouldn't nail it in Dog's head! My local pool room has the same problem, very little action, because many of the action players are in the cardrooms now. When Pai Gow became legal about 10 years ago, all the action players went to the cardroom. They are action players because they like to gamble and you can't gamble in pool as much as you can in the cardroom. Pai Gow got them in and now Hold em is keeping them there.

Like you Dog, I miss sweating the action!

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Troy said:
I just don't understand the obsession about gambling. Certainly not the obsession about WATCHING other people gamble. I've been in and around pool rooms and this sport/game for many, many years and it's always the same. Guys complaining simply 'cuz they can't WATCH people play for money. Doesn't make sense to me. Then, being a 'horse has always been on the list of most rediculous occupations.
If you want to play then go for it. It's definitely not mandatory that the world knows about it. And more than likely the world doesn't really care either.
JMHO...

For me what I enjoyed was having your local guy who was the best player in our area matching up with maybe the best guy from somewhere else maybe 50 miles away or so. Usually it would start by people talking who they thought was the better player and a game would get set up. It was more a matter of knowing and believing in your guy than anything else, we would get our money together and they would do the same and then watch the guys go at it. I saw some great matchups and learned a lot about the game and mental toughness that I would never have learned by playing in tournaments.
I believe for the most part that some guys are good tournament players and some are better gamblers, a few do both well. But one thing a noticed that the players always gave the most respect to the guys who were tough for the cash. Its just like anything else, I enjoy watching competition at its highest level.

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One last point

One other thing, somebody else mentioned this also. The good players all now seem to be friends and won't play each other. What is that? It seems like these days when these guys are in the poolhall together they try to out do each other kissing each others asses. When did these guys stop woofing at each other?

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not near as much in L.A. either

A year or two after I started playing pool, the action in L.A. was non-stop. Around '97-98 there was a little pool hall called Players in the Valley and the action ran hot 24 hours a day. You could start screwing your cue together as you walked in the door knowing you had action. It was nothing to win or lose in 4 figures in the course of an evening. Everyone got action there, some of the regulars were Santos, Tang, Marcus Chamat (before he became a pro), Jennifer Chen, Eileen Pippen, Melissa Herndon (before she was a pro).
You could catch McCready, Efren, Morro, Cooney at different times getting in on the action.

When there was a big match-up between top players for big money the playing would come to a stop and everyone would gather to watch.

However, there was action for anyone who wanted it. Not only was it available at this place but also in Hollywood, and at Hard Times.

Skill level didn't matter, I watched two guys that couldn't play a lick match up in 9 ball for $8,000 a set.

It sure was fun while it lasted.

Wayne

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
wayne said:
A year or two after I started playing pool, the action in L.A. was non-stop. Around '97-98 there was a little pool hall called Players in the Valley and the action ran hot 24 hours a day. You could start screwing your cue together as you walked in the door knowing you had action. It was nothing to win or lose in 4 figures in the course of an evening. Everyone got action there, some of the regulars were Santos, Tang, Marcus Chamat (before he became a pro), Jennifer Chen, Eileen Pippen, Melissa Herndon (before she was a pro).
You could catch McCready, Efren, Morro, Cooney at different times getting in on the action.

When there was a big match-up between top players for big money the playing would come to a stop and everyone would gather to watch.

However, there was action for anyone who wanted it. Not only was it available at this place but also in Hollywood, and at Hard Times.

Skill level didn't matter, I watched two guys that couldn't play a lick match up in 9 ball for $8,000 a set.

It sure was fun while it lasted.

Wayne
That seemed like eons ago. :rolleyes:
Wuttdahell happened?
Sadly, after PBT died, so did most of the action b/c the pros no longer toured around the country.

Phylbert57

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We still have action here in Fredneck. However, on any given night there are so many young people playing - ages 16-20 something; that the "real" pool players don't even show up or start playing until after 10:00 pm. Even that could be early for most of them. They don't want to do any serious gambling when every table is full of kids and extra ones gathered around waiting. Too much of a distraction from kids who do not get what is going on or are clueless to what I might call gambling etiquette. Not conducive to a good match-up at all.

One of our pool rooms has entertainment nightly and doesn't allow under age 21 in after 9:00 pm. They are real snotty about it and too expensive in any case. These young people can't afford that place. Consequently, the comfortable pool room is crowded with these young folks until well after 11 pm some nights.

We also have some type of league going on there 5 nights a week so tables are limited and available players are limited until late night.

Phyllis Gumphrey

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flak

Troy said:
JMHO...

So I guess you do not watch football, baseball, basketball or any sport that is competitive between top level players and is gambled on by millions of people. How about ESPN's top rated World Series of Poker? We are all watching top poker players gambling and obviously the nation is clamoring for more. What is the difference than us watching pool or poker? At least at a pool game we can bet on the side and get involved. It gets the adrenalin flowing and we all need that. Millions of people worldwide bet on all the sports via bookies and the internet and its getting bigger all the time. If you are not good enough to play for the big bucks what is wrong with wanting to
"WATCH". People are complaining when there is not action around, just natural and probably whining too much but that is life. In the pool rooms it is a life of ups and downs, and action, like everything else, comes in phases.
And whoever said the seasons has nothing to do with it, is completely wrong.
August, Sept. and Oct. are terrible pool playing months. Everybody seems to think on this forum that no one has a life except pool. Those are few and far between and as many as they are most are spread around the country.
If BIGDOG wants to get his fill of watching action and its worn out at Family Billiards he better get out of town. Go to DCC and see the greatest action at once I have seen in my life, it will be enough to last you for awhile.

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of action is there at the US Open. I heard there is not too much as everyone is just focusing on the tournaments. But with all those players there must be some action.

In Los Angeles during the 70's there was some of the greatest action. Ronnie Allen, Danny Diliberto, Hawaiian Brian, Ed Kelly, Bernie Schwartz, all passed through Ye Billiard Den on Santa Monica Blvd. Great Action every nite. Lot of Hollywood money. Jimmy Caan, Telly Savalas, etc. I even played Richard Pryor some straight pool once. Action was hot with money men like Lenny Moore, Cuban Joe, John "the Dancer" Brascia (producer of Baltimore Bullet). Lot of that money dried up when some guys took off Phil Spector for something like $25,000 large on a dump. Those were great times.

Troy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure I watch football and baseball on TV, not basketball unless it's March Madness. I don't bet on them simply 'cuz I have zero control over the outcome.

Sure I watch poker on ESPN 'cuz there's something to learn that may be useful when I do play cards.

As far as "...bet on the side...get involved...gets the adrenalin flowing", again I don't simply 'cuz I have no control and have seen too many people get "cut up" over the years.

If you enjoy it, GO FOR IT !!!

Troy
nfty9er said:
So I guess you do not watch football, baseball, basketball or any sport that is competitive between top level players and is gambled on by millions of people. How about ESPN's top rated World Series of Poker? We are all watching top poker players gambling and obviously the nation is clamoring for more. What is the difference than us watching pool or poker? At least at a pool game we can bet on the side and get involved. It gets the adrenalin flowing and we all need that. Millions of people worldwide bet on all the sports via bookies and the internet and its getting bigger all the time. If you are not good enough to play for the big bucks what is wrong with wanting to
"WATCH". People are complaining when there is not action around, just natural and probably whining too much but that is life. In the pool rooms it is a life of ups and downs, and action, like everything else, comes in phases.
And whoever said the seasons has nothing to do with it, is completely wrong.
August, Sept. and Oct. are terrible pool playing months. Everybody seems to think on this forum that no one has a life except pool. Those are few and far between and as many as they are most are spread around the country.
If BIGDOG wants to get his fill of watching action and its worn out at Family Billiards he better get out of town. Go to DCC and see the greatest action at once I have seen in my life, it will be enough to last you for awhile.