Bad Problem with John Showman, (Cue Stolen)

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to inform the billiards community of my horrific experience dealing with John Showman since November 2014. I do so for two reasons: (1) I hope that Showman reads this thread, which I have threatened to write for six weeks now unless he returned the cue that I delivered to him on 10/24/14, and returns my cue, and (2) so that anyone who reads this thread and decides to do business with Showman does so knowing full well that he is a pathological liar and never does what he promises he will do.

Here are the facts. In 2014, I reacquired a loaded up 2 maple window Showman (photos below) from my friend Ron Seymour (rigmaster here on AZ). The elephant wrap was a little worn and stained and I wanted it replaced. I also thought about having Showman build a third shaft and joint protector for the cue. In October 2014, I called Showman and asked him how long it would take to rewrap the cue and make a new shaft and joint protector. He told me a couple of weeks. We agreed that I would ship him the cue and I would pick it up at his home/shop in Safety Harbor, Florida the day before Thanksgiving 2014 (11/26/14) as I was going to be in Orlando on vacation the week of Thanksgiving. Based on his promise that the cue would be ready when I got to his shop on 11/26/14, I shipped him the cue on 10/23/14. On 10/24/14, Showman emailed me and confirmed that he received the cue in good order.

When my two kids and I got to Showman's shop on 11/26/14, I was surprised to see that he had not even removed the elephant wrap on the butt, and had only started making the shaft and joint protector. We spent some time chatting in his shop. At that time, we discussed him refinishing the butt before wrapping it with elephant because there were a couple of very minor imperfections in the finish. He said that would be $300 more, for a total of $900, and that he would finish the project in a couple of weeks, and I would have the back before Christmas. Based on this promise, I gave him $700 in cash (7 crisp $100 bills) and told him I would mail him a check for the balance plus the return shipping when I received the cue in December.

I did not get my cue back before Christmas, as promised. On 1/1/15, I emailed Showman to find out when I was going to receive my cue. This was among the first of dozens of emails in this regard. On 1/6/15, Showman emailed me and represented: "Probably a couple of weeks.
My wife and daughter are home and I"m spending time with them." The typographical error in the foregoing sentence was Showman's; all of his emails are full of them.

I sent emails to Showman on 1/26/15 and 2/7/15 inquiring about the status of my cue. On 2/24/15, Showman sent me an email and represented: "I hope to finnish you cue this week. I had to redo it cause I wasnt happy with it. Sorry for the delay I was trying to do an extra good job cause you said you wanted to keep it for your player." That email was received by me more than 9 months ago.

On 4/7/15, I mailed Showman a certified letter by USPS, return receipt requested. I also mailed him the letter by first class U.S. Mail and emailed him a copy of the same. Like a deadbeat, he refused sign for the certified letter. In the letter, I demanded that Showman finish the work on my cue by 4/17/15 and ship me back the cue in whatever condition it was in, or I would sue him (I'm a civil litigation attorney) and report him to the authorities. I told him that if the projected was not finished, that I would have my good friend Eric Crisp (Sugartree Cues) finish it for me. On 4/10/15, Showman emailed me the following message:

"Thank you for your letter.
I can appreciate your frustration, im dealing with personal problems. I've been trying very hard to get a lot of work finished,not just yours. Theres no excuse for not being done yet. As far as letting someone else finnish the work, I cant let that happen. I've been doing this over 20 yrs and put my heart and soul in each and every piece...... and I believe thats what seperates me from most others. I hope to finnish soon. Sorry for the delay.
Billiardly yours John."

To this day, I do not have my cue back. On 4/24/15 and 4/29/15, I emailed Showman again about the status of my cue and his failure to ship it back as demanded in my letter of 4/7/15. On 4/30/15, Showman emailed me and presented: "I'm almost finished.... sorry for the delay. I'll try to make it up to you." More lies by Showman.

I emailed Showman on 5/13/15, 5/18/15 and 6/11/15, demanding the return of my cue. On 6/12/15, Showman sent me an email and represented: "I could e-mail you everyday but I would prefer to do it when its ready to ship. I appreciate your prayers in these trying times. Soon I hope." More lies by Showman.

On 8/31/15, I emailed Showman and told him that if I did not have my cue back by 9/14/15, I was going to post a thread here on AZ about my horrific experience dealing with him. That got his attention more than my threat to sue him. On 9/12/15, Showman sent me an email and claimed: "I'm in the er with a gallbladder attack so you won't get your cue I know I don't deserve it but I would appreciate a couple more days." More lies I'm sure, but I told Showman that he could take a few more days and if he delivered my cue back with all the work completed in satisfactory condition all would be forgiven.

On 9/19 and 9/20, I emailed Showman again about the status of my cue and asked him if he was going to be shipping my cue that week. By an email sent on 9/22/15, Showman said "yes." More lies by Big John because I still do not have my cue.

On 9/27/15, I emailed Showman and told him that if I did not receive my cue on Saturday, 10/3/15 (my 56th birthday), that I was going post this thread on AZ in the Main Forum section on Sunday, 10/4/15 (today). Well, 10/3 came and went and I still do not have my cue and have not heard from Showman since his email of 9/22. I have made numerous calls to his house and left voice mail messages for him. He does not answer his home phone and has not returned any of my calls.

So, this is my experience dealing with Showman. It has been nothing short of a nightmare. He makes great looking and playing cues, but he cannot be trusted, is a pathological liar, never is true to his word, and is a thief (he converted my cue by failing to return it after I demanded the return of my cue by my certified letter of 4/7/15 and numerous emails thereafter). If anybody deals with Showman in any capacity after reading this thread and gets ripped off, they will have nobody to blame but themselves. I will be suing Showman in a Florida court in the very near future, and post a copy of the Complaint. I will also be contacting law enforcement officials and request that a criminal complaint be filed against him for theft by deception etc. Maybe then he will see fit to finish my cue and return it to me. I will update this thread or start another one when I get my cue back.

[/URL

Last edited:

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow sorry to hear this. He must be going thru rough times in his life be this un professional.

pathman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Sorry to hear this man, most of us have gone through this at some point or another.Whenever you start hearing"I'll make this up to you" you might as well start bending over. The sad thing is, because of his perceived "top tier" reputation, most people will think you are an asshole for posting this here. I don't know you you personally, but I do know your situation. My list of cue builders that I trust to do what they say will do has shrunken down to a very small list. Sorry this happened man.

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Sorry to hear this man, most of us have gone through this at some point or another.Whenever you start hearing"I'll make this up to you" you might as well start bending over. The sad thing is, because of his perceived "top tier" reputation, most people will think you are an asshole for posting this here. I don't know you you personally, but I do know your situation. My list of cue builders that I trust to do what they say will do has shrunken down to a very small list. Sorry this happened man.

Showman sure has a funny way of making it up to me. After he told me that, he only lied to me another dozen times or so. I'm sure that his email about being in the emergency room was just another delay tactic. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and the requested extension of time to post this thread, but ultimately he failed to be a man of his word. I lost a sale of this cue back in February/March to a guy who owned this cue previously and had posted photos of it here on AZ. Because I could not get Showman to ship my cue back, the guy bought poolrod's fancy Showman cue. Thanks a lot, John.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You should also post this on the Open Billiards Market transaction report page on Facebook.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

marknyc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm mistaken, but about 6-9 months ago didn't someone else here on the forum post a similar experience about dealing with him? This sounds vaguely familiar.

In any case, best of luck in getting your cue back.

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
This must be a common issue with cue makers, I'm having a similar issue right now with a different guy. I ordered a custom break cue a long while back and he has most of my $ and still nothing. I'll probably post a thread in the next 2-3 weeks about that experience.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really sorry to hear this. I hope you get this cue back. It is really nice!
Phil

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm mistaken, but about 6-9 months ago didn't someone else here on the forum post a similar experience about dealing with him? This sounds vaguely familiar.

You read my mind. Sounds so familiar. Maybe these clowns have a fill in the blank excuse form.

Once again. No way in Hell I would deal with ANY cue maker. Apologies to any that might be honest.

I'll pay the premium to a reseller. OP, this must be taking a toll on your health.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I recall the same thing, almost verbatim... Did the OP post this once before, and then remove it, months ago?

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This must be a common issue with cue makers, I'm having a similar issue right now with a different guy. I ordered a custom break cue a long while back and he has most of my $ and still nothing. I'll probably post a thread in the next 2-3 weeks about that experience.

The biggest difference is that I own my Showman cue and have almost $7,000 in the cue, and Showman has refused my demand for return of the cue in whatever condition it is in. That he has failed to finish the project and/or return my cue is inexcusable.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm constantly amazed when I read threads like this. Top name cue makers who don't seem at all concerned with their reputations. I feel fortunate to have only dealt with Pete Tascarella (he told me one year and it was almost one year to the day!), Keith Josey (all work done in a timely fashion), Proficient Billiards (great work at a bargain price), Capone cues, Jacoby cues, Omega Billiards, Tiger Products, Joe Blackburn and more that I'm forgetting who only treated me right and in a professional manner. There are a lot of good people in this business. Too bad the other ones spoil it for everyone.

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I emailed Showman the link to this thread seconds after I posted it. Yesterday, I wrote the thread and emailed it to Showman and told him it would be posted this morning if he did not call me. I hope that every person he has breached a cue purchase or cue repair agreement with posts to this thread. I gave Showman every opportunity to avoid this thread ever being posted and avoid public humiliation, but he did nothing to make sure this thread was never made public.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
QC, sorry about this BS. You stated in your post you have his home/ shop address. Why not just go there and " get " your cue instead of endless meaningless emails and calls. You must have MUCH more patience then myself because if my $7k cue was being kept hostage I would a been beating that door down a long time ago.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I,m sure,as always, that some people are going to come on here and defend john and say"well he has been sick,or he told you he was spending time with family,etc... The truth of the matter is there is never an excuse to treat someone the way this cuemaker has treated his customer and i have almost come to expect it from the cuemakers. They( alot of cuemakers) think they are above the law and can treat people any old way. The truth of the matter is if a cuemaker wants money up front for rewraps, shaft work, etc... Then the writing is on the wall, who is the only person that can lose in this situation? The customer. How can the cuemaker not just quote you a price, call you when ready to ship your cue back to you. You pay the man and he ships you the cue. If a cue maker( especially someone charging showmans prices, tells you he needs money up front for materials etc... Then i question his ability to manage a business period. I,m sorry you had to go through this but how many times have we here on az had to here stories like this yet people continue to do business with these clowns and let them come back on here a year or two later and say"sorry" and twenty people or so will come on here and say" way to man up john i forgive you. Or way to face the music welcome back" just makes me sick and like another poster said i just buy off the secondary market ,from coincidentally mike, people like you who are knowledgeable sellers of quality cues.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmn......this really sucks and $7k is a large enough amount to file criminal charges...........or a lawsuit for damages & recovery of legal fees.........this is atrocious.......how can Mr. Showman ever expect to get any future orders..........I could never trust him with my cues or my wallet after reading this......and yes, this is another incident on Showman's track record......are there more offenses out there? If so, and these complaints are indeed genuine which "appears" to be the case,, then JS should get crucified for being a crook and charged with criminal theft.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
guess I've been lucky

It's been a while sense I got a custom cue but I never had any problem
with any of the cue makers I dealt with. Ginacue, Balabushka, Gus, Billy Stroud,
Toeboy, and quite a few others. About four months is the longest I waited
and that was for a very fancy ivory box cue from Gus, and he told me that
going in. I got about 4 or 5 balabushkas 2 or three months at the most,
got 8 or so G.S. about the same. Got a few from Billy S. all came very
quickly exactly when he promised. Once I asked Billy to make me a custom
cue and when I met him to pick it up it was not exactly the way I wanted
could have been my fault not explaining it right. Billy said no problem Jack, I'll
put it on the rack and sell it. Like I said it's been a while maybe the cue makers
years ago kept their word.
Jack
Free SJD

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
Hmn......this really sucks and $7k is a large enough amount to file criminal charges...........or a lawsuit for damages & recovery of legal fees.........this is atrocious.......how can Mr. Showman ever expect to get any future orders.......
Do you think John needs to take new orders? Do you think if he called any of the customers on his books tomorrow and told them that there cue is ready that any of them would turn down the cue? Not that what is going on with mike is right. Just the way it is

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
QC, sorry about this BS. You stated in your post you have his home/ shop address. Why not just go there and " get " your cue instead of endless meaningless emails and calls. You must have MUCH more patience then myself because if my $7k cue was being kept hostage I would a been beating that door down a long time ago.

He is 1,000 miles from where I live. He's not exactly around the corner and things could easily escalate if I see him face to face.

Last edited: