Just back from the Expo and not very happy

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, back in my hotel room. Right now I am not very pleased with the new venue and the new rules. First, in years past you could show up on Wed., pick up your badge, walk around, maybe enter a tournament, maybe not, but you could hit some balls around. For no charge. Well, tonight they charge you $10 to get in....and there are no tables available. They had probably 1/3 of the tables roped off and you couldn't use them if you wanted to! If you aren't in the tournament, you couldn't get on any tables. Sorry, no refunds. So, there were literally hundreds of us that were leaving, not very happy and feeling majorly ripped off. Paid $10 for absolutly nothing. I was told at the desk that yes I could "knock them around for awhile" if I paid the $10.There might be tables available later, but for the forseeable future there are none.

The next is that it is really as ugly as the photo's on the other thread show. It has zero character. Plus, the floor is concrete. So, this old mans legs will be totally shot. I must say, this one is on me because I was an idiot an didn't take sneakers. I don't know what I was thinking.

Also, eat before you go there. Unless you want a $7.00 bad hamburg.

Bob

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I saw the pictures and it did not look so great but I am sure people will still have a blast. I have been to SBE once about 6 years ago or so and really liked it, tons of pool and vendors but it was at the old location. Is this the first year for this location?

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First year at this location. I'm sure it will get better tomorrow when it actually starts. Just didn't like the pay $10 to get in for nothing. I'm thinking now maybe I went too early.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
First year at this location. I'm sure it will get better tomorrow when it actually starts. Just didn't like the pay $10 to get in for nothing. I'm thinking now maybe I went too early.

Yes, a buddy of mine just told me he was going for Saturday and Sunday. When I went I think I did the weekend thing and it was more than enough pool for me if your not there to play and just to hang out.

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i hope this gets better since I am there from Thursday to Sunday. Typically tho it is super packed until really late anyways.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In other words, it looks and feels just like the old convention center. I don't recall carpeting in the playing area, just in the vendor booths and upstairs. Also, at the old center concession pricing was almost on par with Chumley's (the hotel bar/restaurant).

Sorry to hear about your feet. According to the map there is a Target nearby, you can pick up a pair a cheap pair of sneakers. If you want something more refine, King of Prussia shopping mall is nearby.

Except for the Pit, they used to charge $10 for all nighter, starting at 11pm. I remember last year they stopped charging, but you still had to wait until the TAP league finish before you could jump on a free table.

Well, back in my hotel room. Right now I am not very pleased with the new venue and the new rules. First, in years past you could show up on Wed., pick up your badge, walk around, maybe enter a tournament, maybe not, but you could hit some balls around. For no charge. Well, tonight they charge you $10 to get in....and there are no tables available. They had probably 1/3 of the tables roped off and you couldn't use them if you wanted to! If you aren't in the tournament, you couldn't get on any tables. Sorry, no refunds. So, there were literally hundreds of us that were leaving, not very happy and feeling majorly ripped off. Paid $10 for absolutly nothing. I was told at the desk that yes I could "knock them around for awhile" if I paid the $10.There might be tables available later, but for the forseeable future there are none.

The next is that it is really as ugly as the photo's on the other thread show. It has zero character. Plus, the floor is concrete. So, this old mans legs will be totally shot. I must say, this one is on me because I was an idiot an didn't take sneakers. I don't know what I was thinking.

Bob

EAGLETRICKSHOTS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob
where are you staying ?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
One of my dreams has always been wanting to visit the Super Billiards Expo. Having never been to the old VENUE. I am sure I would still find myself in a Billiards & Cue Candy Store.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raddison.

As far as the concrete floor goes, I should have known better. I went to grab my sneakers but I said, "nah, I won't need them." What a dope.

I'm sure I will end up enjoying myself like I do every time I come here. I was probably a little cranky since I made a 5 1/2 hour ride and again, dopey me, was expecting to be able to hit some balls. I'm better now because I've had a cigar (but boy it was windy) and a couple of ice coldies.

Just playing the Seniors this year. Hopefully I'm not one and done.

Bob

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I wouldn't mind it too much. Tables look good and that's all that really matters. I would just like a chance to go once.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got to say the tables looked awesome. I watched people knocking them around and they were playing great. The Diamond tables are always first rate. They do a hell of a job setting them up.

kbchan

Registered
So is there no late night action there tonight? The fellow riders here would like to know... We won't make registration cut off tonight but they want action play.. just head back to the hotel then and call it a night? .cause they were planning on going straight there for play..

Thank you!

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is there no late night action there tonight? The fellow riders here would like to know... We won't make registration cut off tonight but they want action play.. just head back to the hotel then and call it a night? .cause they were planning on going straight there for play..

Thank you!

I don't know. I'm thinking now that maybe I was there too early. Maybe after the mini tourney ends, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I saw the pictures and it did not look so great but I am sure people will still have a blast. I have been to SBE once about 6 years ago or so and really liked it, tons of pool and vendors but it was at the old location. Is this the first year for this location?

I'm going, but personally I am expecting it to be a cluster ****!

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Don't care about the walls, don't care about the concrete floors.

All i care about is not stinking like a rotten funnel cake/french fry.

If they accomplish that, the venue is 1000% better then before.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Thank you!

All the action tables are set up in the vendor area. Allen is trying to figure out how to keep it open until midnight or beyond.

If it's not possible then he has to shut it down and have everyone go over to the $10 play all you can area.

Allen says that the venue isn't big enough for all the tables they need and the tournament might spill over into the action area if he needs to move more tables in there.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what happened last night? I didn't go back. Did people get to hit balls without being in a "mini"? Or was it not so organized?

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will not say anything to bad until I see the other side today. Not one person said anything good about the change yesterday and I am really trying to reserve judgement until I see the whole thing.

Some quick things:
a. Cement floors throughout
b. Feels like in a big 4H pole building
c. Typical expensive prices for food but thats expected I guess (2.25 bottled water, 6.25 Kaiser sandwhich)
d. Tables are strictly in rows in Hall B rectangle. No spot for Pit type action for the most part on this side. About 2 am it appeared to have one table start a per game/action table. But seating would be nonexistant. We opted to just leave.

We are hoping that Hall A has some space and maybe a pit section will form somewhat. If not, the late night luster is definately gone. In my opinion this location has lost quite a bit of character.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were all that tables being used? They had 90 something tables open when I was there. They also had 74 roped off that you couldn't use. Trouble is there were 1000 pool players looking for someplace to hit balls.