The Hustler

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
What I really would like to see is how the movie has progression the way TCOM did, maybe even with a little more setting. For instance:

Introduce 4-5 small roles, each in a different city across the US. This is where some of these ideas of hustles and tricks would come into focus. Joe Rogan would be a good cameo, IMO, as another said. Maybe some other young guns in the real pool world (Woodward, Thorpe, Josh Roberts) would all make good cameos or lead bits.

With the intro of these 4-5 small roles that the new "Vincent" runs into, I like tying each to a section in the soundtrack. A song [or excerpt from a song] much like TCOM did.

Also like the introduction of slow motion into some of the screenplay, and might suggest that the "hustles" be either kept simple, or explained briefly in a simple way, that even the non-player could pick up on and follow.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
My favorite proposition shot is to put a ball on the spot with a quarter balanced on top of it. With ball in hand in the kitchen execute a six rail kick, hit the ball on the spot with the quarter staying in place!

5-rail, not 6-rail.

Will Prout

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point Lou! Like I knew who or what a freaking Sea Biscut was before the movie lol

lol, yup.

Bottomline is: writing a great screenplay is tough action. And basically, you can't go anywhere without a *great* screenplay. And oh by the way, you are up against *really* good writers who do it for a living and a boatload of talented newbies looking for their break.

Then pitching and selling it -- yowzer.

Lou Figueroa

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something that just occurred to me, is that the the technical intricacies of billiard mechanics have never really been properly explained to the general public in any popular movie. While the ‘Hollywood’ producer/hustlers would probably never approve, I believe the uninformed public would likely be fascinated. A movie plot where an ‘old master’ trains a novice toward expert proficiency would certainly be informative, and thus inticing (?).

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody needs to die.

Then ultra violence in the guise of righteous retribution......
Hell boys, never mind Tom Cruise, sounds like a Seagal plotline to me!

And you thought it would stink with Tom (space-cadet) Cruise!!:-D

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, we do have some great characters in the pool world and I may draw on them as well. I also loved The Sting but it was about one long drawn out hustle and I want a character(s) who keep coming up with new stuff.

I think the sting had more than one "hustle" but anyway, but what made the sting great, is the con, the interaction of the people, and putting together a great con, that could fail at any moment...…..think about "dirty rotten scoundrels" too, another movie, where the "patter" is the con, being able to talk your way into something....its timeless.

Also, there should be a twist at the end, something truly unexpected...…

Lastly, as some as said, you cannot make a "pool movie" you have to make a "great movie" where the characters also happen to play a little pool...….focusing on pool would be a mistake.....IMHO

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
lol, yup.

Bottomline is: writing a great screenplay is tough action. And basically, you can't go anywhere without a *great* screenplay. And oh by the way, you are up against *really* good writers who do it for a living and a boatload of talented newbies looking for their break.

Then pitching and selling it -- yowzer.

Lou Figueroa

Right on all counts. I know the Hollywood scene pretty well. Fortunately I have a few "ins" but like you said I need a good script/story to show to them. It all begins with the story!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are a few challenges with your approach that make a film to be produced. Shooting any period piece explodes a film budget. Wardrobe, cars, scenery, etc all make it more difficult to produce a film in today's budget stricken world. Also, a good story is a good story. So much has happened in pool globally in the last 10 years and pool is more popular in many respects. If a pool movie is produced for the right amount of $$, attracts a global audience and has a good story, success can happen.

just my humble opinion as a television director

Definitely this would be a low budget shoot. It has to be story driven.

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A really hard task, best of luck with it.

Art is defined by the era it is produced in and vice versa.

I'm not sure what kind of a story about Pool nowdays could be popular, given the fact that "The Hustler", "The Color of Money" and the "Poolhall junkies" where each characteristic of their era, a new movie would have to connect to today's reality in order to appeal to many.

Amateur Pool has definitely the "upper hand" in popularity now, so perhaps the story of a team (build up around the character of team members, their lives and dreams, their approach to Pool and the importance of it for them, the interaction between them) while trying to accomplish their common Pool goal - making it to the APA finals - could be the the basis on which a fresh modern script would be provided.

Petros

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, what is your email and I can send you videos of some of the pool hustles/tricks I know that maybe you haven't seen before.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely this would be a low budget shoot. It has to be story driven.

maybe something along the lines of the Blair witch project.
Regular people with cell phones , catching the action as it happens.
several scenarios going on simultaneously just like in real life.
One idea is to have people who want to be in the movie have to pay for the privilege!
There is an untapped pool of narcissists out there ,that would love nothing more than a moment of fame and recognition.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe something along the lines of the Blair witch project.
Regular people with cell phones , catching the action as it happens.
several scenarios going on simultaneously just like in real life.
One idea is to have people who want to be in the movie have to pay for the privilege!
There is an untapped pool of narcissists out there ,that would love nothing more than a moment of fame and recognition.

That's some creative thinking there!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Then ultra violence in the guise of righteous retribution......
Hell boys, never mind Tom Cruise, sounds like a Seagal plotline to me!

And you thought it would stink with Tom (space-cadet) Cruise!!:-D

Wasn't particularly suggesting violence, but the death of a character.

Life, and death, sell.

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My shot is a six rail. I also know a five rail shot but a little different than most folks shoot it:) Try to figure it out by November. I could show you at Evelyn's event at Shooters....

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a heads up guys. We are making progress, but there's a lot of work to be done. Kind of going in a different direction with this, but reaching out to a larger audience. Keep your fingers crossed! :D
P.S. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from people on here already and I'm not surprised. Such a wealth of information on AZ!

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something that just occurred to me, is that the the technical intricacies of billiard mechanics have never really been properly explained to the general public in any popular movie. While the ‘Hollywood’ producer/hustlers would probably never approve, I believe the uninformed public would likely be fascinated. A movie plot where an ‘old master’ trains a novice toward expert proficiency would certainly be informative, and thus inticing (?).

A scene where they are playing scotch doubles for the cash so coaching is allowed and the master explains how the extreme spin will make x happen and he explains where to hit the cue ball. This could all be done in one simple sentence. Then slow motion shows the cue tip hitting hard the measles ball at extreme 9:45 then the magic happens, easily seen on the measles ball and they celebrate, snatching the cash off the light.