conically-tapered pool cue dimensions calculator- exists?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
or maybe it's just math lessons I need :)

if a tip is starts off at say 12mm, and is 58" long, and had a true conical taper, with no straight sections anywhere on the cue, wouldn't the dimensions be the same on any 12mm 58" cue, from top to bottom?

and if so, how could I figure out what those dimensions would be, at different sections on the cue?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The only other thing you need is the butt diameter. Let's say it is 30mm. The cue goes from 12mm to 30mm (grows 18mm) over 58 inches. That means it grows 0.31mm for every inch (18 ÷ 58) you get away from the tip. 10 inches away it has grown 3.1mm so it's now 15.1mm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The only other thing you need is the butt diameter. Let's say it is 30mm. The cue goes from 12mm to 30mm (grows 18mm) over 58 inches. That means it grows 0.31mm for every inch (18 ÷ 58) you get away from the tip. 10 inches away it has grown 3.1mm so it's now 15.1mm.

The simple math for this is:

increase per inch = total increase / 58
increase per inch = (30-12) / 58
increase per inch = 18 / 58
increase per inch = .31mm

so...

diameter at 10 inches from tip = 12mm + (10 x .31mm)
diameter at 10 inches from tip = 12mm + 3.1mm
diameter at 10 inches from tip = 15.1mm

etc.

pj
chgo

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Why anyone would want a shaft shaped like a teepee is beyond me but there's the answer.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Why anyone would want a shaft shaped like a teepee is beyond me
One good reason (mine) is that, although a small tip is good for reducing squirt and seeing precisely where you're hitting the CB, with a pro taper it might be too flexible - a conical taper keeps the stiff hit.

And no, stiffer doesn't = more squirt.

pj
chgo

P.S. And with a 10-foot base and that taper, your teepee would be almost 750 feet tall.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have shot with cues like this

Your question has been answered, here is just some additional information.

Some house cues used to have a constant taper like this. This results in a pretty fast taper and a pretty bulky shaft at the bridge lengths we often use now.

If talking about shafts made from a natural wood blank, a true zero taper pro section plays like crap to put it bluntly! Aside from flexing too much, it flexes where the pro taper ends and the conical or poly tapered section begins. It takes very little taper for the shaft to play properly, maybe 1mm in 12-16 inches. The slight taper to the pro taper also slows down or prevents the shaft becoming bottle necked with heavy cleaning or a little sanding. I don't know what Corey Dueul was doing one event aside from annoying his opponent but he was sanding his shaft like he was trying to start a fire all the time he was in his chair.

I haven't played around with this to know for sure but I would think 2mm per foot with a slightly dropped parabolic taper would result in a very stiff shaft. It is amazing how much very slight changes at the joint end of a shaft affect the hit. Dropping the area where the shaft transitions from the butt taper to the taper of the playing area of the shaft down a few inches results in a much stiffer shaft.

We probably have somebody on the forum who can 3D model a shaft and experiment with design. It cost me a month or more of off and on trial and error and a few snapped shafts that were total junk to find my taper.

Hu

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in my experience this is the best taper
were any of you guys here when we did the deano cues

i started with something like this and john nemic toned it down a little until it was perfect for me

however we tapered only the shaft to joint like this
from 12,25 to about 830 at the joint

everyone like the play but not everyone liked the fit in their bridge hand

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Conical taper is good for driving heavy balls FORWARD. Pool requires all kinds of "kill" stokes not used in billiards. Something(anything) less than pure conical is better for pool games.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A true conical shaft like you see om carambole cues needs to be made that way because of the extra mass of the bigger diameter balls used in carambole.
I dont think many pool players would enjoy a conical shaft, even with a 12mm tip diameter. The WX900 shaft from Mezz has a really nice taper for such a skinny shaft.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Conical taper is good for driving heavy balls FORWARD. Pool requires all kinds of "kill" stokes not used in billiards. Something(anything) less than pure conical is better for pool games.
Sounds like you're saying a conical taper transmits too much power for pool...?

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks all for the replies so far.

what if I don't already know the butt diameter tho?
shouldn't the tip diameter and overall cue length dictate what the butt diameter is, anyway?

I know this is an old discussion, but I don't understand why using a pro taper would necessarily be better for pool, outside of personal preference (bridge comfort, etc.).
obviously, that's what almost all pool pros use, but snooker and carom guys are doing just fine with a cone.
it doesn't seem pool is so different that we gotta shave down a perfectly sweet-looking, energy-efficient cone shape to play well.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
thanks all for the replies so far.

what if I don't already know the butt diameter tho?

shouldn't the tip diameter and overall cue length dictate what the butt diameter is, anyway?

I know this is an old discussion, but I don't understand why using a pro taper would necessarily be better for pool, outside of personal preference (bridge comfort, etc.).

obviously, that's what almost all pool pros use, but snooker and carom guys are doing just fine with a cone.

it doesn't seem pool is so different that we gotta shave down a perfectly sweet-looking, energy-efficient cone shape to play well.
Draw this:

/\

You have to decide how far apart the two lines are at the top AND bottom...

or you have to decide how far apart they are at the top AND how quickly they will get further apart as you go lower.

This cue has no taper..its a dowel rod.

I I

Once you decide to go with a conical shape (straight taper) the math is simple. Beyond that I don't know what else to tell you or what else could possibly be left to wonder.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If corn oil is made from corn and vegetable oil is made from vegetables. What is baby oil made from?

:grin-square:

I think I get it tho..every cone shape doesn't need to have the same dimensions, yea?

and is butt diameter something people customize when getting a cue made?
you all have any butt diameter preferences (for cues)?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why anyone would want a shaft shaped like a teepee is beyond me but there's the answer.

I agree. I played 3c once with a very hi-end Longoni. Big butt, tiny conical shaft and stiff as a railroad tie. Now i'm no 3c playa by any means but to me that thing was horrible. I played just as well(or bad actually) with a 13mm pro-taper pool cue. Cannot stand conical shafts regardless of their supposed superiority. ALL the great players i've grown up watching/playing have used some version of a pro-taper. Pre-LD days i know.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
:grin-square:

I think I get it tho..every cone shape doesn't need to have the same dimensions, yea?

and is butt diameter something people customize when getting a cue made?

you all have any butt diameter preferences (for cues)?
Cones generally come in small, medium and large, large being best for a double scoop.
4a006b7c855d9c3910efedac6571660c.jpg
73d9fb7cde90ba0b9098e0a8dd385d23.jpg