for those with multiple cues which play best ??

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick Howard. Flat-face full Ivory joint 3/8x10
Pechauer. Sneaky with Juma collars, wood-wood 3/8x10

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
So long as it’s got good spine it’ll play well. Imop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned an Omega/DPK, Richard Black, Southwest, two Pechaeurs, a Scruggs, a Lambros, a Mike Bender, two Samsaras and a Searing. The Lambros was great but my favorite is my Scruggs with a Samsara LD TrueShaft. It has a radial pin (somewhat rare i believe for a Scruggs), is perfectly balanced for me, great feedback and I love the relatively simple design.
That being said, it is all based on personal preference and fell IMO.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Radial pin Scruggs are hardly rare from what I can tell.

I own a TS flat ivory joint with radial pin & it is hardly rare.

Sometimes we wanna believe what makes us feel good.

The bottom line is scarcity influences any pool cue’s rarity.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scarcity and death.

I remember all those people that were so happy because the value of their Scruggs went up.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im a peon in the cue world . but to all the folks who are hardcore players and own tons of cues which ones do you own that play the best ??
Sadly I've never played with a true custom cue but I've played with most of the well know production makers and for me the Pechauer Pro series feels best.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

TS's famous hit is with his small screw imo.

pguernsey

I've been playing for 54 years now and have played with a few cues over that time. My opinion: if you have any decent cue, the rest is all up to you i.e "pilot error".

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have test played every joint version Tim produced, except for a flat faced wood to wood joint.

Without question, the flat faced ivory big pin versions played the best of all the different joints.

Obviously, everyone likes what they like and so what one prefers another player may or may not.

You just don’t see many flat faced ivory joints offered for sale, maybe it’s because of ivory bans.

Everyone I met that had that version TS cue has treasured it but after all, they should. It’s a TS cue.

peterpau

Registered
I have test played every joint version Tim produced, except for a flat faced wood to wood joint.

Without question, the flat faced ivory big pin versions played the best of all the different joints.

Obviously, everyone likes what they like and so what one prefers another player may or may not.

You just don’t see many flat faced ivory joints offered for sale, maybe it’s because of ivory bans.

Everyone I met that had that version TS cue has treasured it but after all, they should. It’s a TS cue.
Rocky Tillis made great playing cues. Recently got a Robinson that plays real good and I think that any Robinson should play the same. Bay Area player Richard "Bucktooth" Cook has a couple of Robinson cues he's used for the last 25 years or so. I think Rick Cuddy makes a hell of a cue (RC3). It's really hard to find a cue that fits like a glove. Back in the days when there were few tournaments everyone played for money and everyone played with house cues as you wouldn't want to scare off your action with a two piece cue. Back then a player was sized up by how good he played for money. Regardless what kind of cue you can have what good is it if your a choke artist. You out there know who you are. You can practice everyday with the finest cue money can buy but it won't help if you can't handle the pressure.

OldManOfTheSea

Registered
Greatest cue I have ever played with? An old Pechauer J11 from 20 years ago. It was a gift from a friend who gave up pool. It felt like an extension of my arm. I haven't used it in 15 years..

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many pro players have played with every cue imaginable.

I have CJ Wiley's McDermott that he won the Million Dollar Challenge Tournament with in 1996. He used this cue for the tournament and beat Earl Strickland in the finals with it, after Earl had run 11 racks on the first day and won the MILLION DOLLARS. I've had the cue for years and I don' think it's going to make me play like CJ Wiley did with it. I think it still has blue chalk on the tip from being used in that tournament.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=504430&highlight=sindora+burl

There are tons of good cue makers out there. You just have to know what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.

Would love to see a pic of the McDermott, big Mcdermott fan...if you get a chance to post one! Thanks

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had all of my cues out on the table the other day. Thirteen total with 22 extra shafts. I am currently playing with a Mike Sigel Australian Oak cue and using a Becue shaft. Love it. Also using, from time to time, a Jim Pierce tulipwood cue with a Revo shaft. Jim made an extension for me last year so I use that when I need to stretch.

Other cues I have are a couple Lambros, Jacoby, Carmeli, Sigel, Schon, Troy Vance, Josey, and a capless 6-pointer that I do not recall who made it. Love them all though.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would love to see a pic of the McDermott, big Mcdermott fan...if you get a chance to post one! Thanks

Here you go.

This is CJ's cue that he used during the Million Dollar Challenge Tournament in Dallas in 1996. He won the tournament, beating Earl Strickland in the finals.

Attachments

• RS-11 (1).jpg
    RS-11 (1).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Copy of cj and my cue facebook 29 mar 19.JPG
    Copy of cj and my cue facebook 29 mar 19.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 189

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ cue

My daughter has that same cue. It is an RS-11. Plays fine, but I do not like the feel of the leather wrap. The cue is like new. I have and have had and played many cues over the years. If I had to pick one to play for money I would chose the Steel stick that I pd $150 in the 90s. Predecessor to Cuetec. My old 80s Huebler was one of the best players. All time player was my Cochran. It stayed in the safe.