Stitch ring question

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am attempting to make a matching shaft collar for an old Helmstetter cue. The original has 16 slots in it. My index has 24 holes. Is there a way to cut 16 slots? Could I cut 8, then re-index, then cut 8 again? Is there an obvious solution that I am too dense to see? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am attempting to make a matching shaft collar for an old Helmstetter cue. The original has 16 slots in it. My index has 24 holes. Is there a way to cut 16 slots? Could I cut 8, then re-index, then cut 8 again? Is there an obvious solution that I am too dense to see? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh
If you could rotate the cue around to get the next slot started exactly in between two you have already cut reindexing would work.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
16 is a tough cut even with a spin-index fixture.
360* divided by 16 = 22.5*
Traditional spin-index fixtures will do whole degrees, not halves.

brianna187

BRIANNA SINCE 1988
Silver Member
may have someone make the billet for you and then you finish it
cnc could handle that no problem is this shaft size? a picture would be a big help mybe someone here has something close or exact

ChampionsRepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could I cut 8, then re-index, then cut 8 again? Is there an obvious solution that I am too dense to see? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

Yes but first you have to be able to accurately find the center. My suggestion, if you use a router to make your ring billets would be to set up your billet like you were going to cut 8 slots but put a v groove bit in or any bit that would allow you to scribe a narrow line in the wood with a light pass. Grab your compass and accurately mark the center between 2 of your scribed lines. It should be pretty straight forward from there. Hope it helps...

RBC

Deceased

KJ

You are right!

I remember about 17 years ago I made a shaft that used 16 slot rings and all I had was a spin fixture. What I did was cut one slot and rotate 22 degrees. then cut another and rotate 23 degrees, and repeat. Basically, I accounted for the 1/2 degree between each pairs of slots so when I got all the way around it worked out on the same pattern.

It certainly wasn't my first choice, but back then it was what I could do. I told the owner before I did it and she was completely fine with it. In the end, you couldn't tell which slots were further apart even if you knew it. Of course today I would index it properly, but back then I did what I could.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member

I have a 36 hole indexer that has half degree capability, is this a rarity? A 16 slot would be 2.25. It might even do quarters. It goes from 0 to 5 so I assume I could get 16 slots with a 36 hole. I will check.

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hi Royce,

Your method certainly has some merit because at the end if the day, the glue line would account for 1/2 degree.
You do what you have to do to get the job done.

I believe the OP may be a bit limited in his slot choices with the setup he has but a $40 spin-index would be a good investment.

I hope that the Holidays find you well and prosperous.

KJ

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many indexers are set to 32.
I have seen those and that is a horrible combination, as it won't give you 6 or 3 and those are needed much more often than 16. What is needed is 48 for the most options, but smaller indexers just don't have the room for that many holes. The old Atlas lathes came with 60 hole indexing. I liked the fact I could get 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10 out of it, but hated that I could not get 8.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a Sherline CNC indexer with it's own little computer attached that has modes for degrees or partial degrees, equal increments or slave mode so that it can be run as part of a program on the normal computer. In the increment mode I just punch in the number of devisions from 1 to 999 and it calculates and moves that amount each time the button is pressed.

Dick

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I have seen those and that is a horrible combination, as it won't give you 6 or 3 and those are needed much more often than 16. What is needed is 48 for the most options, but smaller indexers just don't have the room for that many holes. The old Atlas lathes came with 60 hole indexing. I liked the fact I could get 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10 out of it, but hated that I could not get 8.
I have a 32, but I agree with you Chris. 4,8 and 16 are what are used on a 32. I think I would like to get a 60, so I can do 30 or 15.

Alan

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all the reasons mentioned,That is why the cnc/eletronic controlled tables/heads are really nice to use. For manual indexing, I prefer to use dividing heads with hole plates.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
.... For manual indexing, I prefer to use dividing heads with hole plates.

That's because you don't have a cool jiggy-thing like this one.

It has a 48 hole plate, so 16 is no problem.:thumbup:

Dave

Attachments

• index-jig-small.jpg
    index-jig-small.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 223

jeff olney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,
Josh

Josh can you supply a picture, i have some 16 slot, its maple with 1/32 black veneer. if this will work mic out the thickness and i will slice you off a few no charge. Jeff O

jeff olney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,
Josh

Josh, if it looks like this let me know, i use these rings on alot of cues. Jeff

Attachments

• 16 slot joint ring.jpg
    16 slot joint ring.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 178