why is this a foul ?

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
from the WPA rules site
6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.

I just want to know. I`ve never see it called on a player

highrun55

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
from the WPA rules site
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.

highrun55

Sounds to me as if someone used that method effectively, hence they changed the rule to prevent that effectiveness. I had a friend that used to mark a specific point on the rail by placing a piece of chalk as a reference point in order to make kicks and banks. I think this would fall into the same category.

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
cool

Thanks David, I was confused , but it maks sense now.

hope all is well with you, still dead around here
Mickey

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I think it may have evolved in reverse actually. I think the rule may have been something to the effect of no outside measuring devices, and then evolved to include the cue stick once it left your hand, it then was considered an outside device. I'm just speculating here, but it must be something like that. :scratchhead:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had it called on me years ago.AZ's own RandyG had to inform me that
my action constituted a foul.
I have never called the foul .but do get some strange looks when I tell a opponent, that is a foul and I will call it if they do it now that I have been kind enough to educate them;)

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had it called on me years ago.AZ's own RandyG had to inform me that
my action constituted a foul.
I have never called the foul .but do get some strange looks when I tell a opponent, that is a foul and I will call it if they do it now that I have been kind enough to educate them;)

Rodney Morris had it called on him in the semi-final of the 2003 World 9 ball Championships!
It was a close match with Alex Pagulayan, I believe, it ended up being the deciding factor in the match.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
from the WPA rules site

highrun55
I'm told that there were some players who would take a long time to set up shots, placing their stick on the table, walking around to the expected direction of cue ball travel, etc. The rule was put in to stop that sort of thing. I think it would have been better to have a shot clock if slowness was the problem. My own feeling is that the player should be able to use the cue stick in any way he pleases to line up the shot whether he keeps his hand on the stick or not. (Of course that would exclude drawing spots and lines with the chalked tip.)