Woods suited for full length cores

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm planning on doing some break cues. I'm gonna use full length .750 cores. I already have some nice maple and purpleheart, but seeing as this is kind of an experiment for me, I would like to try other woods for cores too.
Yellowheart, Shedua, Bacote are some of the woods I have found that is easy to get a hold of in 30" lenghts.
Any experiences with theese woods as a core and are there other woods I should try?

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
So I'm planning on doing some break cues. I'm gonna use full length .750 cores. I already have some nice maple and purpleheart, but seeing as this is kind of an experiment for me, I would like to try other woods for cores too.
Yellowheart, Shedua, Bacote are some of the woods I have found that is easy to get a hold of in 30" lenghts.
Any experiences with theese woods as a core and are there other woods I should try?
i use lyptus occasionally

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I prefer the laminated wood for a full length core. The colored butterfly shaft dowels I make are my favorite core. They are so stable that I feel I have little worries about warping.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the laminated wood for a full length core. The colored butterfly shaft dowels I make are my favorite core. They are so stable that I feel I have little worries about warping.

Looks interesting Chris, how hard would you say these dowels are compared to maple?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Same. They are 1/16" thick maple veneers glued up. Once they are gone though I probably will never have anymore.

JC

Coos Cues

I bought some Goncalo Alves squares with no figure that are really stable for core wood and slightly lighter than PH but heavier than Maple.

JC

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought some Goncalo Alves squares with no figure that are really stable for core wood and slightly lighter than PH but heavier than Maple.

JC

Yes I bought some Goncalo Alves from Schmelke, seems very stable.
Bellforest has 30" dowels of yellowheart, it`s slightly lighter than PH and is great to work with, but Ihave never seen it used as core wood

JC

Coos Cues
:sorry:
Yes I bought some Goncalo Alves from Schmelke, seems very stable.
Bellforest has 30" dowels of yellowheart, it`s slightly lighter than PH and is great to work with, but Ihave never seen it used as core wood

Bubinga seems like another good choice. I bought a couple very ordinary looking boards I plan to use for coring. I turned them round and they seem very stable after a few months and a couple turnings.

JC

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
For a break cue ?
Heck, head out to Lowe's and get some oak dowels .
You can pick through the best ones.
You can even use Pine if you want a lightweight one .

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
For a break cue ?
Heck, head out to Lowe's and get some oak dowels .
You can pick through the best ones.
You can even use Pine if you want a lightweight one .

What you think about an one piece curly oak cue?
Have to cored or not, like to hear your opinion Buddy:wink:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have used bocote, maple, flat lam maple, purpleheart, and will be trying ipe soon. All the above work well.
Dave

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you think about an one piece curly oak cue?
Have to cored or not, like to hear your opinion Buddy:wink:

I had a customer come to my shop once with a oak, gymnastics spindle, about 6/4 that he wanted made into a cue, both shaft and handle. He wanted to wait for it. I turned the shaft down in three or four passes one right after the other.
I did the same with the butt. I put on a phenolic ring on the butt and shaft, installed a pin, ferrule and tip. Didn't put on a finish.

I'll tell you what, it was the most solid hitting cue I have ever felt. When the tip contacted a ball it made a sound that could be heard in another room. It was like hitting a hammer against an anvil.

Dick :smile::smile::smile:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have used bocote, maple, flat lam maple, purpleheart, and will be trying ipe soon. All the above work well.
Dave
You missed Bob's pie-lam sale?
Pie lams are superior to plywood imho.
I cut up a few pieces of ipe and turned them.
I don't see them being better than bloodwood or granadillo.
They are much rougher too.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
I had a customer come to my shop once with a oak, gymnastics spindle, about 6/4 that he wanted made into a cue, both shaft and handle. He wanted to wait for it. I turned the shaft down in three or four passes one right after the other.
I did the same with the butt. I put on a phenolic ring on the butt and shaft, installed a pin, ferrule and tip. Didn't put on a finish.

I'll tell you what, it was the most solid hitting cue I have ever felt. When the tip contacted a ball it made a sound that could be heard in another room. It was like hitting a hammer against an anvil.

Dick :smile::smile::smile:

Sounds what I want 😂😂😂😂:thumbup: