Billy Incardona - Short Rant

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy, I can't believe this thread was even started. I didn't read most of it but I'm surprised it got so much play. Anyone that remotely knows you or knows about you would feel that your apology was unnecessary but appreciated. I personally want to thank you for everything that you've done and do for the pool world.

Everything I've ever heard or read from you was done with class and dignity. Thanks again for what you do for us. Your friend...The Barber
I agree. I wonder if some of the people on this forum have ever been inside a pool hall.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
I read the 1st post in this thread and then skipped over to here without reading any of the replies.

Bill Incardona is, in my estimation, the greatest living commentator in pool.

How can a body of work the size of the Atlantic Ocean be judged by a dixie cup of water???

He's been tremendous with every aspect of calling a pool match.

If I had to correctly pronounce a name from someone in the Middle East, or continental Africa, I'd slaughter the pronunciation because I never say those names. Personally, I'm fluid with the Taiwanese players, as they're my favorite group of players outside the USA. But since we Americans don't routinely say the names of the Taiwanese greats, the pronunciation could be challenging for anyone.

No, I can't log out just yet.....If JoeyA or Danny DiLiberto or another really gifted commentator mis-pronounced a foreign name, I hope some of you fellas don't shoot at 'em! :D

Now, I'll go back and read what the other posts.

But really, I still can't believe the rig-a-more-ol about wrongly pronouncing a foreign players name......

And that word that I tried to phoenetically spell because I can't even say it right; well, I don't know how to say it right (or spell it) but most of you know what I'm talking about.

PS- Edited to add I STILL love my wife! :)

Last edited:

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the 1st post in this thread and then skipped over to here without reading any of the replies.

Bill Incardona is, in my estimation, the greatest living commentator in pool.

How can a body of work the size of the Atlantic Ocean be judged by a dixie cup of water???

He's been tremendous with every aspect of calling a pool match.

If I had to correctly pronounce a name from someone in the Middle East, or continental Africa, I'd slaughter the pronunciation because I never say those names. Personally, I'm fluid with the Taiwanese players, as they're my favorite group of players outside the USA. But since we Americans don't routinely say the names of the Taiwanese greats, the pronunciation could be challenging for anyone.

No, I can't log out just yet.....If JoeyA or Danny DiLiberto or another really gifted commentator mis-pronounced a foreign name, I hope some of you fellas don't shoot at 'em! :D

Now, I'll go back and read what the other posts.

But really, I still can't believe the rig-a-more-ol about wrongly pronouncing a foreign players name......

And that word that I tried to phoenetically spell because I can't even say it right; well, I don't know how to say it right (or spell it) but most of you know what I'm talking about.

PS- Edited to add I STILL love my wife! :)

In response to Terry and Frank the Barber I would just like to say "AMEN" :)...

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In response to Terry and Frank the Barber I would just like to say "AMEN" :)...

I read the first page when the thread started and that's all I needed! What's going on with this forum? Bobby Cotton is one of the best people to hang with I've ever met. Cordone knows more about this game than 99% of the posters on here. Let's not send them packing with this petty BS.

Best,
Mike

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the first page when the thread started and that's all I needed! What's going on with this forum? Bobby Cotton is one of the best people to hang with I've ever met. Cordone knows more about this game than 99% of the posters on here. Let's not send them packing with this petty BS.

Best,
Mike

I suspect the problem is a lot of people on this forum aren't really pool players and would crap their pants if they walked into some of the pool halls Incardona, Diliberto or any real pool player has been in.

Pool ain't tennis.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my travels to dozens of rooms around the country and dozens of big time tournaments and having played hundreds of player great and not so great I have meet all kinds of players. Some where killers, some road agents, some pros, some were passionate armatures, and some were hacks. With rare exception they were all great guys and most had their share of stories.

Doesn't mean I would sit most of them in front of a mike. So if there is a connection between being a super nice guy and being able to pull off quality commentating I am missing it.

Regardless, Billy is both a nice guy and a great commentator. Doesn't mean we can't talk about raising the standard of commentary for our sport.

Lou Figueroa

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
In my travels to dozens of rooms around the country and dozens of big time tournaments and having played hundreds of player great and not so great I have meet all kinds of players. Some where killers, some road agents, some pros, some were passionate armatures, and some were hacks. With rare exception they were all great guys and most had their share of stories.

Doesn't mean I would sit most of them in front of a mike. So if there is a connection between being a super nice guy and being able to pull off quality commentating I am missing it.

Regardless, Billy is both a nice guy and a great commentator. Doesn't mean we can't talk about raising the standard of commentary for our sport.

Lou Figueroa

You get it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And an udder thing: why does anything less than unqualified adulation bring out the hand wringers? These are sophisticated, mature guys. Their egos are not going to be crushed like egg shells because talk about them and even (gasp) critique them.

Lou Figueroa

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Hang wringing??? Really?

And an udder thing: why does anything less than unqualified adulation bring out the hand wringers? These are sophisticated, mature guys. Their egos are not going to be crushed like egg shells because talk about them and even (gasp) critique them.

Lou Figueroa

That's not how I see it Lou. Regardless if it had been Billy or not, the point is that unless someone is functioning at 100%, they get criticized. Someone works at 99% and people will be finger pointing and yacking about it on a forum.

I'd bet everything I own that the complainers and whiners don't do their jobs 100%, 100% of the time. Who does?

But since it's pool they're talking about, fire away?

It's like someone runs 150 and out, yet there'll be some yo-yo complaining the guy shot a pattern out of sequence.

Same thing dogging Bill over a mis-pronounciation of a name. I mean, really?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's not how I see it Lou. Regardless if it had been Billy or not, the point is that unless someone is functioning at 100%, they get criticized. Someone works at 99% and people will be finger pointing and yacking about it on a forum.

I'd bet everything I own that the complainers and whiners don't do their jobs 100%, 100% of the time. Who does?

It's like someone runs 150 and out, yet there'll be some yo-yo complaining the guy shot a pattern out of sequence.

Terry (and Lou):

The problem with this whole thing is it's much ado about nothing. It could be a Seinfeld episode (on the level of the "yadda yadda yadda" episode). You have the "I Sounded The First Alarm!" personalities, who then stir others to march behind them, and before you know it, you've got a full-fledged lynching party. And over what? An associative word-play slip of the tongue?

I agree that we should always strive for high standards. Methinks in this case, a private note to Billy I. (offline from the forums) letting him know that "hey, you know, that may not have been cool, and could be misinterpreted." The sort of tap-the-shoulder-and-whisper-in-the-ear approach seems to work best.

But that's not how our sensationalist society likes to work. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame (or pound of flesh -- take your pick).

-Sean <-- back to Seinfeld episodes

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this actually a freudian slip on Billys end as there were a bunch of ads for a restaurant named Ping Pang Pong or something. Yes I am Chinese and find that restaurant name funny, but the humor in that is probably different than most.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
just had a thought

I am lousy with names. I have met thousands of people between businesses and competition. The tracks also did driver introductions so many people I had never met knew my face and name.

Trying to get better I read up on how to remember names. Associate the name with something else or someone with a famous name. First time I tried it was when I was introduced to a real estate lady and we had a meeting or two. Tyra, nothing goes with Tyra that I can think of except a model. Next day I introduced the lady to someone as Tyra Banks. Close but no cigar! Fortunately she was a bit flattered.

Anyway, perhaps Billy intentionally or just automatically is doing that word connection thing trying to remember names. I gave it up after that first try! I could see things getting a lot worse. I also knew a lady named Mrs DoMkey. Just a matter of time before I introduced her as Mrs DoNkey and I'm 99.9% sure she would not have felt flattered!!

The majority of the posts in this thread are supporting Billy. Then there is a small number of people with constructive criticism, maybe one or two over the top bashing or wanting ridiculous action taken. Out of this many posts I think that says it all. Billy, perfection is nice, keep striving for it on and off the table. Nobody expects you to quite get there and we crucified the last guy that did get there. Proof there just ain't no pleasing everybody!

Anybody really want to see a long thread full of outrage? Take Billy out of the booth for a moment's thoughtlessness or a slip of the tongue!

Hu

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Terry (and Lou):

I agree that we should always strive for high standards. Methinks in this case, a private note to Billy I. (offline from the forums) letting him know that "hey, you know, that may not have been cool, and could be misinterpreted." The sort of tap-the-shoulder-and-whisper-in-the-ear approach seems to work best.

But that's not how our sensationalist society likes to work. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame (or pound of flesh -- take your pick).

So if I understand you correctly, going forward, you would prefer all criticism, constructive or not, personal or otherwise, to be taken offline? or at least addressed via PM?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

That depends entirely on how you interpret "raising the standard".

Harry Caray was a fan favorite and he had a lot of difficulty pronouncing names and you could hear him coughing up phlegm balls while calling the games. He sang "take me out to the ballpark" during the 7th inning and it was very popular despite the fact he was a terrible singer.

You could hire an English teacher with perfect grammar to do commentary and not everybody would consider it an improvement.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am lousy with names. I have met thousands of people between businesses and competition. The tracks also did driver introductions so many people I had never met knew my face and name.

Trying to get better I read up on how to remember names. Associate the name with something else or someone with a famous name. First time I tried it was when I was introduced to a real estate lady and we had a meeting or two. Tyra, nothing goes with Tyra that I can think of except a model. Next day I introduced the lady to someone as Tyra Banks. Close but no cigar! Fortunately she was a bit flattered.

Anyway, perhaps Billy intentionally or just automatically is doing that word connection thing trying to remember names. I gave it up after that first try! I could see things getting a lot worse. I also knew a lady named Mrs DoMkey. Just a matter of time before I introduced her as Mrs DoNkey and I'm 99.9% sure she would not have felt flattered!!

The majority of the posts in this thread are supporting Billy. Then there is a small number of people with constructive criticism, maybe one or two over the top bashing or wanting ridiculous action taken. Out of this many posts I think that says it all. Billy, perfection is nice, keep striving for it on and off the table. Nobody expects you to quite get there and we crucified the last guy that did get there. Proof there just ain't no pleasing everybody!

Anybody really want to see a long thread full of outrage? Take Billy out of the booth for a moment's thoughtlessness or a slip of the tongue!

Hu

Hu, at work, my regional manager's name is Ricky Fields (he's two levels above me). There's a story about a sales rep who, while on conference calls, would get everyone's name wrong, and while Ricky Fields was on this call (more than 200 people on this call), this sales rep kept referring to him as "Ricky Lake". If you met Ricky Fields, you'd say there's no way in hell someone could confuse this guy with that female talk show host. But that's the power of associative thinking, and sometimes wires get crossed.

P.S.: Ricky ultimately laughed it off (hysterically) and didn't want to embarrass the rep on the call -- he just let him continue. Everytime I see Ricky now, I do the high-five thing to him that that certain talk show host used to do on her show (not a Ricky Lake fan, but I just *had* to look her up to see if I can grab something to poke Ricky with) ;).

-Sean

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Oh shit Vinny, I thought you were Italian. We aren't friends any longer...jk

Was this actually a freudian slip on Billys end as there were a bunch of ads for a restaurant named Ping Pang Pong or something. Yes I am Chinese and find that restaurant name funny, but the humor in that is probably different than most.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No, Terry, that's not true. It wasn't about operating at 100% and it wasn't about a mispronunciation. As I read the OP, and several subsequent posts, it was about mocking an Asian players name, re: "ping pong." I get that Billy apologized and thats fine, but it doesn't mean that people here cannot discuss the issue of professionalism in the commentary booth in an adult, rational manner.

And as an aside, the use of the following words ^^^^^ "finger pointing," "hacking," "complainers," whiners," "dogging," and my favorite, "some yo-yo," are a lot worse than any sin you're pointing your finger at.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry (and Lou):

The problem with this whole thing is it's much ado about nothing. It could be a Seinfeld episode (on the level of the "yadda yadda yadda" episode). You have the "I Sounded The First Alarm!" personalities, who then stir others to march behind them, and before you know it, you've got a full-fledged lynching party. And over what? An associative word-play slip of the tongue?

Sean, the only one talking about a lynching is you. Go burn your straw man somewhere else.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That depends entirely on how you interpret "raising the standard".

Harry Caray was a fan favorite and he had a lot of difficulty pronouncing names and you could hear him coughing up phlegm balls while calling the games. He sang "take me out to the ballpark" during the 7th inning and it was very popular despite the fact he was a terrible singer.

You could hire an English teacher with perfect grammar to do commentary and not everybody would consider it an improvement.

duh. Different opinions make the world go round. So whats your point? That we shouldn't talk about our different points of view and just agree 100% on everything?

Lou Figueroa

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Stream

What I find interesting is that based upon much of the criticism contained within the first 2 pages of this thread, there have already been substantial improvements made to the CSI stream!

- the addition of rack differentials and updated match scores
- showing action on the alternate table during breaks
- equalization of volume between commercials and commentary
- frequent score reports

And in my opinion, a general improvement in the commentary.

Based upon these improvements, I have decided to purchase today's 8 ball stream and will also purchase tomorrow's.

You see, sometimes EVERYONE WINS!!

BJT <--- believes that transparency and the free flow of information is essential to a healthy free market!

Last edited: