Mushroom Tips

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
For the times it does happen,I've always used a little spit and a piece of smooth leather I cut out of a wallet my late father carried for 20 years. I wet the sidewall,wrap the leather round the ferrule and roll it across my left leg until the job is done,15 seconds or so usually but honestly haven't had to do it for years now. I can just as easily put it in the lathe and trim it with a blade.

My technique WORKS. You can also accomplish the same thing with a small piece of smooth gray or white,preferably slick cardboard like a flap off a box,or a book of paper matches. Tommy D.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hbvdjooahfd

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200701-153742.jpg
    Screenshot_20200701-153742.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 180

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive had plenty of lepros mushroom and Ive had plenty of other tips not shroom at all.

Go figure. There is often a wide variation in hardness among the tips from the same box.
Too bad no obvious way to really test them accurately, so the user can choose which suit his needs best before they are installed. You would think all included in a single box were manufactured at the same time (from the same hide). Maybe hide toughness/etc. varies by location on the animal‘s anatomy (?).

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go figure. There is often a wide variation in hardness among the tips from the same box.
Too bad no obvious way to really test them accurately, so the user can choose which suit his needs best before they are installed. You would think all included in a single box were manufactured at the same time (from the same hide). Maybe hide toughness/etc. varies by location on the animal‘s anatomy (?).
Not quite sure what you expect from a tip that costs 43 cents?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Takes about 2 months to develop the slight mushroom tip that is ‘’the perfect’ snooker tip for not all but many players. Pro Snooker players change their tip at least a month before the season starts and hope it lasts through to the World Championship in April (or this year, August).

I had the privilege to spend some time playing with a local house pro from across the pond in my snooker days. He played with what I would consider a heavily mushroomed tip. I did my best to play with something similar but I tended to one side my tips by holding the notch for comfort. Found I need to make changes every few months. In hindsight, the tip condition was more likely just an excuse for streak of poor play...lol.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Been doing tips/still do, since the 60's....by hand and then a lathe, now only by hand for myself.

Each piece of leather/tip is different, finding ones similar is important.

It's common to have about 10 ''Good''....le pro tips outta a box of 25, having this characteristic.

Having a baseline of ''tip performance'' is important when developing table play.

When I get a box of 25 Le Pros, first I turn em all over. Many will have some grain on the backside surface, others not. The good ones to keep.... will look like a flat piece of chocolate, with no texture to the leather/flat glue surface, these are keepers.

Next, I take those tips (usually about 10) that have No texture on their flat glue surface.... tap em on a hard counter too ''listen'' for the crispness/density sound that tells me ''this is good leather''.

For a leather to be ''a good tip'' the drying out process is ''key''.

Fat's....used to handle his tips/cash/sweat in the pocket of his pants, to ''cure em'', for a few months, before usage.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Fat's....used to handle his tips/cash/sweat in the pocket of his pants, to ''cure em'', for a few months, before usage.

Yep, Bill (Weenie Beenie) Staton did that same thing with Champion tips. He said months of mingling with the change in the pocket was good for a tip.

All the best,
WW

Pedestrian

Registered
I had a new tip put on my $12.95 breakdown cue my first and until it was stolen, in 1969 at a place called Jack & Jill's in Arl., Va., it had never mushroomed.

I have been thinking that layered tips mushroom and my non-layered tip was the reason why mine didn't.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several years back, I bought a Porper Mushroom Grazer. It worked great trimming the sides and, if I was careful, not scratching my ferrules. But since I switched to hard layered tips, I haven’t had a tip mushroom on me in 7-8 years.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a new tip put on my $12.95 breakdown cue my first and until it was stolen, in 1969 at a place called Jack & Jill's in Arl., Va., it had never mushroomed.

I have been thinking that layered tips mushroom and my non-layered tip was the reason why mine didn't.

You'll find a post or two about beenie's place here.

Did/do you live in the area or were you just dropping by for some easy money?