So... Billy Thorpe fouled right?

RobDeBank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Title speaks for itself, I had to run after that incident against Biado where he clearly fouled but said no. I legit believe he thought he didn't foul and wasn't cheating but he 100% fouled. What ended up happening? I didn't catch the whole match.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Ref wasn't watching apparently, so no foul was called. Thorpe ran out the rack.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What?

What does a ref have to do besides watch the shooters and look for fouls and settle disputes?

What was the foul?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does a ref have to do besides watch the shooters and look for fouls and settle disputes?

What was the foul?

Jump shot over the 6 I believe. He jumped it and made it but apparently it touched the 6 on the way over and wasn't visible from the refs angle.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump shot over the 6 I believe. He jumped it and made it but apparently it touched the 6 on the way over and wasn't visible from the refs angle.

I recorded it on my desktop - and took snapshots to check and no question the 6 moved about 2 inches.
I dont really have accu-stats permission to post it.
I dont think Billy saw it.
But a case could be made that he should believe Carlo who saw it.
Didn't this happen a couple of years ago when Shannon fouled against Karl Boyes and it went to video review and a foul was called after the fact?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recorded it on my desktop - and took snapshots to check and no question the 6 moved about 2 inches.
I dont really have accu-stats permission to post it.
I dont think Billy saw it.
But a case could be made that he should believe Carlo who saw it.
Didn't this happen a couple of years ago when Shannon fouled against Karl Boyes and it went to video review and a foul was called after the fact?

Didn't realize the 6 moved that much, if that is the case doesn't seem it would be that hard to see a foul occured.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2nd incident like that......looks like the US open will be a american only amateur event in future when the foreign players just stay home instead of travelling thousands of miles only to get cheated by not even amateur refs.....a shame!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2nd incident like that......looks like the US open will be a american only amateur event in future when the foreign players just stay home instead of travelling thousands of miles only to get cheated by not even amateur refs.....a shame!

How did the ref cheat when his view was blocked? It's not like he was staring right at the shot, saw the bad hit, and then let Billy keep shooting.

To Billy's benefit, if you've ever jumped a ball, then you know it's possible to graze the impeding ball without seeing it happen.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I didn't see it but if he was jumping a ball then the ref's job was to watch the hit! how was his view blocked? normally we take an extra few seconds to look at a shot before we just jump it....so why didn't the ref get into place to watch it? I am sure the ref wasn't cheating but maybe being just a little too....lazy or trusting? Trusting of the players either in their ability or honesty. It happens and if it did move 2 inches then there is no way Billy didn't know

cuehobby

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there a video posted somewhere?
I'm wondering how far was the six ball from the cue ball?
Wouldn't the shooter be looking at cue ball he's jumping and that immediate area?
With technology nowadays, disputes can easily be settled; especially if the official is at a blind-spot position (or not paying attention) or if the other player called foul on the shooter.

I didn't see it but if he was jumping a ball then the ref's job was to watch the hit! how was his view blocked? normally we take an extra few seconds to look at a shot before we just jump it....so why didn't the ref get into place to watch it? I am sure the ref wasn't cheating but maybe being just a little too....lazy or trusting? Trusting of the players either in their ability or honesty. It happens and if it did move 2 inches then there is no way Billy didn't know

That is a very good point. I could do a better job as a ref then whoever the ref was during that match. If I were the ref, then I would have known long before the player even got down on the jump shot, that the player would be going for that certain shot. Are these refs players? They should know the game pretty well, if they are going to be a ref.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This similar to SVB v Corey match 2 years ago when SVB fouled and touch a ball when bridging. No one saw it but SVB called foul on himself

If Biado mentioned it, why didn't TD/ ref review the video and award a foul ? They did that when the vocal Boyes shouted out 2 years ago. Maybe the TD/ ref take it more seriously if players are vocal and loud? Remember that Jayson v Earl debacle in some 8ball match some time ago. Earl apparently called wrong ball and when Jayson jumped and shouted and ref then reviewed. Sometimes need to be loud and bang tables to get things done:D

Shout-Out-header.jpg

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Since calls are never missed and controversy never happens in tournaments in foreign countries?

Reactions: JAM

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Refs need to practice as well and since there is no pro tour for them to hone their skills mistakes will happen.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't want to get into this too much now, but one of my long time beefs in professional pool has been when I watched a match being refereed by someone who obviously knows little about what he's doing. I've got to see something like this on many occasions and could see disaster lurking as they were in the wrong position to make a call. When a ref is standing at one end of the table and the contact will happen at the other end that is a recipe for disaster. I've often inquired of said ref why didn't you go down there close to the shot so you could better see what happened and he responded he didn't want to get in the player's line of sight. HOGWASH! You stand where you need to stand to properly watch the shot, period!

Oftentimes a good referee will be standing directly over a shot that a player is shooting/kicking at because that's where he needs to be to properly observe it. I've always said, "get in position and stay still!" Players understand this and I've rarely had a problem with any player questioning me about where I was standing. Sometimes you may have to block a camera to be in the right position and I say, "so be it." Let them shoot from a different camera angle when that happens. Plain and simple it's the referee's job to be in the best position possible to see the outcome of the shot. Why else is he out there? Of course it also helps to know the rules! :rolleyes:

Bottom line, I've seen so many so called referees make so many ludicrous calls and decisions that it has dismayed me to even be present to it. Afterwards people might ask me what I thought about what I just saw and I have to tell them that's not my job if I'm not working that event. I don't know how many times players have asked me to come out of the stands and make a call and I have to tell them that I can't. I'm not on staff for that event and you will have to call one of the tournament officials to do it. And I can see they're reluctant to do that for obvious reasons. They prefer to have their opponent make the call instead.

Last edited: