Tackling Subrail Extensions on a GCI

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help Needed Tackling Subrail Extensions on a GCI

Hello all.

I am not a table mechanic by trade, but am looking to improve my GCI's (Pro 8) play. I have a little experience with working on GCs, but not extensive. I am looking to complete sub-rail extensions, since I cannot successfully connect with a mechanic in my area to complete the job. I have been looking to do this for over a year and am sick of waiting.

This post - http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2505516&postcount=3 - has been very helpful as a starting point, but I have a couple of questions as I pre-plan.

Please note that I have already purchased a new set of Artemis Intercontinentals and new Simonis 760 (I'm a 14.1 nut) from Ken Hash (he provided exceptional service, BTW). I anticipate that I still need to purchase some pocket facings, new feather strips and some 3/16 wood, if I tackle this myself.

Just a couple of questions at the outset:

1) What would be the minimum tools needed to complete a correct subrail extension and the recovering of the rails? See #2 for additional details on pocket angles, since this probably will affect your answer. Dont' worry about budget.

2) About the Pocket Angles/Down Angles - My table is a rather pristine GCI Pro 8. Assuming that I want it to play tough/fair with approx. 4.5 in. corners and 5.0. sides. I have a question about the miter angles needed. My goal is 141/15 deg. angles for the corners and 102/15 degrees for the sides - the Diamond ProCut style. From a recent post, I gather that a GCI has 142/12-13 corners and 104/12-13 sides. To 'Diamondize' the table, do the actual subrail ends need to be re-mitered before placing the extensions on or can the extension itself be cut in such a way that it adjusts both angles at the same time? For my table, figure the following in your response: I will utlize 3/16 wood for the extension and the facing. Also assume correct factory sub-rail thickness (I know this is stretch based on this thread -- http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2291974&postcount=1)

3) Other options: Is there anyone here I can ship my rails/rubber to for completion of the project? If you want to give me quote, please PM me directly. Your price should include all shipping costs, as well as time-to-complete. Please figure you will utilize the rubber I had previously purchased. They will need Simonis 760.

Finally, thanks for your input. As a player, this forum has grown to be my favorite over the last year-and-a-half. And I appreciate the expertise it shares. It is a tremendous information source.

Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all.

I am not a table mechanic by trade, but am looking to improve my GCI's (Pro 8) play. I have a little experience with working on GCs, but not extensive. I am looking to complete sub-rail extensions, since I cannot successfully connect with a mechanic in my area to complete the job. I have been looking to do this for over a year and am sick of waiting.

This post - http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2505516&postcount=3 - has been very helpful as a starting point, but I have a couple of questions as I pre-plan.

Please note that I have already purchased a new set of Artemis Intercontinentals and new Simonis 760 (I'm a 14.1 nut) from Ken Hash (he provided exceptional service, BTW). I anticipate that I still need to purchase some pocket facings, new feather strips and some 3/16 wood, if I tackle this myself.

Just a couple of questions at the outset:

1) What would be the minimum tools needed to complete a correct subrail extension and the recovering of the rails? See #2 for additional details on pocket angles, since this probably will affect your answer. Dont' worry about budget.

2) About the Pocket Angles/Down Angles - My table is a rather pristine GCI Pro 8. Assuming that I want it to play tough/fair with approx. 4.5 in. corners and 5.0. sides. I have a question about the miter angles needed. My goal is 141/15 deg. angles for the corners and 102/15 degrees for the sides - the Diamond ProCut style. From a recent post, I gather that a GCI has 142/12-13 corners and 104/12-13 sides. To 'Diamondize' the table, do the actual subrail ends need to be re-mitered before placing the extensions on or can the extension itself be cut in such a way that it adjusts both angles at the same time? For my table, figure the following in your response: I will utlize 3/16 wood for the extension and the facing. Also assume correct factory sub-rail thickness (I know this is stretch based on this thread -- http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2291974&postcount=1)

3) Other options: Is there anyone here I can ship my rails/rubber to for completion of the project? If you want to give me quote, please PM me directly. Your price should include all shipping costs, as well as time-to-complete. Please figure you will utilize the rubber I had previously purchased. They will need Simonis 760.

Finally, thanks for your input. As a player, this forum has grown to be my favorite over the last year-and-a-half. And I appreciate the expertise it shares. It is a tremendous information source.

I'm pretty sure Donny (sdbilliards) has offered to have rails sent to him before for extensions.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I'm pretty sure Donny (sdbilliards) has offered to have rails sent to him before for extensions.

Yes, rails can be shipped to me. I've completed my training with Glen and now have the tools and knowledge to adjust subrail height and change bevel angles and keep consistant play between rails. I will send you a PM.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yes, rails can be shipped to me. I've completed my training with Glen and now have the tools and knowledge to adjust subrail height and change bevel angles and keep consistant play between rails. I will send you a PM.

That's a long ways to ship rails back and forth to:D

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses so far

I think I know which way I'll have to go. I appreciate all who have PMed me.

I will be following up with as many as I can.

TourTom

Registered
I want my Brunswick Gold Crown I DIAMONDIZED. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Who should I call and what is the phone number?

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rail extensions

I had Donny at SE Billiards redo the rails for my GCII Pro 8' and couldn't be happier with the results!! When I PCS'd (moved for civilians) from Texas to Japan I shipped my rails to Donny, he did the work then Shipped them to me in Japan. Great communication easy to deal with. You won't be disappointed!!