Have you witnessed shots that you would not believe unless seen in person or on video

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one comes to mind I missed playing 3C

Ball 3 is close to the short rail. Really close, making it pretty large target. I hit what looks like a perfect shot. My CB somehow found the hole that didn't exist.

We measured and found just a couple millimeters between ball 3 and the rail. I guess compressing the rail added a couple more millimeters.

Anyway, I still can't believe what happened. But..... it did.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy shot from SVB vs Danny Smith, match is hill hill & Shane gets put in jail from a lock down safe from Danny.

Svb comes with a kick jump off the rail to carom combo the the 10 Ball in to win the match and a heart breaker for Danny :yikes:

Recorded live at the Dixieland Classic March 26, 2017 by PoolActionTV.com

Danny Smith played a "lock up safety" on Shane VanBoening. Shane Vanboening came with the most amazing shot ever. After careful calculating and measuring......HE MADE IT! It's Hill Hill to move into 4th place!

Video https://www.facebook.com/318365238193574/videos/1598534940176591/

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Last edited:
this doesn't Sound dramatic, and it doesn't Look dramatic like a movie shot, but go ahead, try it.

about 10 years ago i walked into an unfamiliar room to play some straight pool. usually that brings mostly blank stares, an occasional nod, and a lot of ignorant guffaws from people who think i don't even know how to play 8-ball. however, the counterman in this place had played straight pool many years earlier, and came over to chat, then made a claim that he really, Really, REALLY should've made into a proposition bet.

he said back when he was playing 14.1 a lot, he could make a legal opening break, driving 2 balls to the cushions, and leave the cue ball frozen in the jaws of the upper pocket with no direct shot available. i invisibly rolled my eyes, of course -- as in, they probably went around a full 360. because it is clearly a ridiculous brag.

but then he grabbed his cue, i still remember it was a Joss butt with a 314 that didn't quite match for diameter on it, and waited while i set up the balls. on the first try, he came close but was well out of the pocket. mind you, this was his first try, and afaik he hadn't even played that day, because it was 5pm and the place had just opened.

he nailed the next 2.

jammed inside the pocket, no view of anything on the table, hanging over the edge. wtaf.

you could've knocked me over with a feather. seriously, that's like a 1:10,000 shot. i'll give you all day, you won't get close.

Great story. Unbelievable, lol. I would have needed to be there in person to see it myself. Very cool. story.

JC

Coos Cues
Every single one of us who plays at a decent skill level has made scores of "unbelievable" shots that we have planned, called and executed over the years. The reason the unbelievable ones from pros seem so much more prevalent is because they have better odds of making any given hail mary and they get filmed much more often and they play more racks.

I have witnessed with my eyes as many or more of them as exist on film executed by decent amateurs. The fact that it happened in matches with the pros doesn't matter because we all know they don't feel pressure like we do. It's all like practice to them :rolleyes:

One in a million shots happen way too often for that to be the accurate odds.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have posted this before.

2001 International of Champions finals Chao v. Bustamante. 50K winner take all. Worth watching the entire match for some solid playing. But the tie-breaker (starting at 47:33) was the most exciting single game of 9-ball I have ever seen. Four shots, any one of which could have been the highlight shot of the tournament, were all made in the same game. I was in the arena for the match. Glad to see that someone preserved it on YouTube https://youtu.be/ZIa4k8jBdaU?t=2858

Another incredible shot I recall seeing on video but can no longer find was a three rail bank into a side pocket by Ralf Souquet.

Crazy shot from SVB vs Danny Smith, match is hill hill & Shane gets put in jail from a lock down safe from Danny.

Svb comes with a kick jump off the rail to carom combo the the 10 Ball in to win the match and a heart breaker for Danny :yikes:

Recorded live at the Dixieland Classic March 26, 2017 by PoolActionTV.com

Danny Smith played a "lock up safety" on Shane VanBoening. Shane Vanboening came with the most amazing shot ever. After careful calculating and measuring......HE MADE IT! It's Hill Hill to move into 4th place!

Video https://www.facebook.com/318365238193574/videos/1598534940176591/

View attachment 548750

View attachment 548751

Amazing good hit, but did he intend the Carom on the 10 ball? I guess he would have needed to call the shot, in 10 ball, right? Amazing shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really want to try that bank shot you showed on youtube. I think I understand how you did it. Looked like you were using a lot of outside english on the cue ball. That was a super cool shot.
Yes, lots of outside. Here is Joe Tucker making three out of four with the fourth hung in the jaws. Note how far down the last two are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-vXWEA_TU