Bar Rules Like Wildfire Part 28

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've never heard of that rule. Have you heard of losing when you're shooting at the 8 ball, and don't make contact with the 8 ball?

That was the BCA rule up until the 70's.

Freddie <~~~ rules change, mostly for the better

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
A few times in bars, I have played guys who hit the 8-ball first to combo in one of their balls. When I say, "That's a foul. You have to hit one of your balls first.", the answer is always, "The 8 is one of mine. It's a community ball, either one of us can hit it first.

Kinda flies in the face of being "behind the 8 ball".

Although I can think of one legitimate case (at least under VNEA rules) where it is legal to hit the 8 first and that is when it is still open table.

scratch on a break is a loss eh?

never heard that one

bout as dumb as 8 on the break wins to me

bar table 8ball a gentlemens game,
mmmmmmmkaaaaaaaayyyy

Making the 8 on the break is pretty rare (unless using that silly 2nd ball break, which I think should not be legal), so if the rules were that you have to hit the head ball 1st, then I think a win with making the 8 on the break sounds fair.

I have never heard of scratching on the break being a loss of the game.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Making the 8 on the break is pretty rare (unless using that silly 2nd ball break, which I think should not be legal), so if the rules were that you have to hit the head ball 1st, then I think a win with making the 8 on the break sounds fair.

I have never heard of scratching on the break being a loss of the game.

It's all good of the rules are agreed upon beforehand

I have heard of scratch on the break is a loss. One of the dumbest things I ever heard. I was playing a one rack tournament in a bar, ran everybody of the table. Final rack I broke and scratched. I was informed that I lost, funny it was the first I've ever heard of this, I certainly did not go quietly, hundred dollars I'd a hundred dollars. They acted as if there was something wrong with me for not knowing this rule. Like I said the ignorant don't like to be told how ignorant they are.

Eric<~~~~~ not the ignorant one

This might be even dumber then gentleman's rules (where playing safety is a no no, and might get you in big trouble if you are accused of doing it). I hate redneck bars for this reason.

How about..."gotta call short rails".

Lol, yeah, I have lost many times due to that silly rule. It is a common bar rule that I do not agree with. In apa , you do not have to worry about any of this silliness . slop counts, and you mark your pocket with a coaster . it helps for much less arguing.

I've never heard of that rule. Have you heard of losing when you're shooting at the 8 ball, and don't make contact with the 8 ball?

I guess you could hook yourself on the 8, and then try to kick at it and not hit it. In most cases it would be a loss of game anyways, unless you are playing someone that is not very good.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few times in bars, I have played guys who hit the 8-ball first to combo in one of their balls. When I say, "That's a foul. You have to hit one of your balls first.", the answer is always, "The 8 is one of mine. It's a community ball, either one of us can hit it first.

This reminds me of another story. Playing my gf's (at the time) step dad a game of 8 ball and its his turn to shoot. He calls out "combos off your ball" So I'm assuming that hes going to carom his ball off of one of mine, no big deal. He gets down to shoot, and lines up right for one of my balls and proceeds to shoot it into his ball. I can't remember if he made the combo or not, but I thought it was the funniest thing. For a while after that, me and the gf would yell out "combos off your ball!" when we were playing against each other.

Another story about a banger, and this one actually happened in a pool hall. A guy who I had never seen before was asking around, looking to play some cheap $5 a rack 8 ball. I obliged and agreed to play the guy for $5. Right before we started, he said "can we make it $3 bucks?" I was like wtf, but said sure, just to see how the guy played. After his break, which he made a ball, the cue ball was frozen to the rail. He proceeds to take the butt of the house cue and put it between the rail and the cue ball, to give him just enough room where the ball wouldn't be frozen anymore. Keep in mind this guy had to have been at least 21-23 years old, it wasn't like he was a kid. The first thing that came to mind was, I hadn't seen anyone do that in over 15 years when I was a kid. (I was prob 25 at the time) I told the guy I quit, gave him $3 bucks and said good game. ;)

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
You can't ever carom off ANY ball, that's a slop shot
Straight 8 no slops

I'd say 23 is a kid but I get what your saying

Never seen anyone give themselves a clearance like you describe

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
After his break, which he made a ball, the cue ball was frozen to the rail. He proceeds to take the butt of the house cue and put it between the rail and the cue ball, to give him just enough room where the ball wouldn't be frozen anymore.

Thanks for starting my day with a good belly-laugh!!!

Never heard of that move before...except in mini golf :grin:

guelphdad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EddieBme said:

That is quite a common bar rule in Canada (Ontario, at least).

Gideon

Used to be hook yourself or fail to hit it was a loss, the other guy hooked you then you could call safe. I avoid bar pool for this and all the other b.s. reasons people are posting about. That and lousy tables.

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in a tournament. 8 ball. Bar had three tables so I figured it would be a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I think I ran down to the eight but had no shot so I played a semi safe shot and left the guy pretty long no matter what he shot but the eight was in the kitchen. He turns around and shoots the cue straight in the pocket. Now I have to kick down the table and back up to hit the eight. I do it and he still doesn't have an easy shot. He shoots the cue in the pocket again. This time I miss and leave him a bit easier. He still didn't get out but did get his balls out of my way so I could win. Good times. And it was a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually, IIRC - this was once rule. The 8 was considered to be "neutral".

Any copies of old rule books Mr Jewett?:)

Dale(who is guessing the over under to be 29)

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have the table at my local bar. Guy looking to impress his girlfriend I never have seen before puts his quarters up. I win, his turn. He is scanning the wall, inspecting and rolling every cue ( and there are about 20 ) for about 5 minutes which seems like 30. I'm allready thinking tool.

There are other's with quarters up waiting and are looking at me like 'come on' dude they are all warped pick your poison or bring your cue. The guy finally get's one he is pleased with. We had been playing playing call pocket but give him the benefit of call shot or call pocket because because I had a vibe about this guy and it could be a problem should I just tell him it's call pocket, ball in hand etc.

He blasts back 'call pocket' I say OK BCA call pocket ball in hand on any and all fouls ' do you understand the rules' he says bust em' up. I get to the 8 and call pocket. I knock it into corner of called pocket it double kisses and drops. Game over and he is pissed yelling at me that's 'garbage' that ain't real man's pool you are a F$%&ing P#^&y. I said it's call pocket. Learn the rules. It dropped no matter what it did on its way down and I reminded him he said he understood the rules prior to break.

Then the dude goes off and throws his cue at me across the table while the whole bar watches said tool meltdown. My friends who I am playing with stand up and say legal shot move on banger. Glad they were their this dude was big and drunk.

Now if a stranger/banger wants in I just play our Bar pool, fouls in the kitchen, call shot, scratch looses, 8 on break wins, call banks and un-obvious combos. If they want to play call pocket I will ask them about the driving a ball to the rail. If they do not know the answer it's our Bar pool call shot period.

Have a good weekend,

-Kat,

Except calling the pocket is what 'Call Shot' means.

Dale

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Another story about a banger, and this one actually happened in a pool hall. A guy who I had never seen before was asking around, looking to play some cheap $5 a rack 8 ball. I obliged and agreed to play the guy for $5. Right before we started, he said "can we make it $3 bucks?" I was like wtf, but said sure, just to see how the guy played. After his break, which he made a ball, the cue ball was frozen to the rail. He proceeds to take the butt of the house cue and put it between the rail and the cue ball, to give him just enough room where the ball wouldn't be frozen anymore. Keep in mind this guy had to have been at least 21-23 years old, it wasn't like he was a kid. The first thing that came to mind was, I hadn't seen anyone do that in over 15 years when I was a kid. (I was prob 25 at the time) I told the guy I quit, gave him $3 bucks and said good game. ;)

Never seen anyone give themselves a clearance like you describe

That's called YMCA rules where I come from....lotta of those places had no chalk.

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free drop?...

HA! I had just remembered the same thing happening to me when I saw your post. I am in the Dallas area. I wonder if it was the same guy. This was about thirty years ago, though. Played this guy on a bar box in some hole-in-the-wall place, don't even remember where.

When he pulls the stunt, I ask what he is doing. He says that the owner made the rule to keep the cue tip from messing up the cloth on the rails. Well, ok. We weren't playing for anything, other than the quarters to put in the table, so I let it go. My friends and I began calling it the "putt-putt rule".

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually ask what the house rules are before I play. If they say "regular 8-ball" or some crap like that, I go by WPA rules and have them ready on my phone just in case. Dick move, but we all know that we can walk into 100 different places and get 100 different rule sets. I prefer to have a standardized set to refer back to :grin-square:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
its like every bar, every slick willies or barneys billiards

people that dont get serious, how did 8ball become the standard cookie cutter game

is it because its about the easiest, most lucky, non skill needing game there is?