Revo BeCue, why no others ?

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously REVO shafts are very popular, expensive, and take quite some time
to get. I've seen on here that many think they cost way to much for what
they are. A piece of plastic with spray foam inside. I tried one and liked the
way it played. I wasn't crazy about the sound or look but could get used to it.
The thing I don't like is that it would not fit my cue, and I don't want the whole
package. Building cues is a tough, tough, way to make a living. My hat's off
to those that make a go of it. If there is nothing to these CF shafts, why don't
some of the cue makers that are struggling, start making them as an option
with their cues, or someone else make them in multiple tapers, inserts, etc.
I have a feeling that it is not so inexpensive and easy to do, otherwise we
would see some. If it is so simple and cheap, please send me the plans.
jack

Fasthawk62

Registered
The thing I don't like is that it would not fit my cue, and I don't want the whole
to those that make a go of it. If there is nothing to these CF shafts, why don't
jack

A piece of plastic???? You clearly dont understand what carbon fiber is.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec has a prototype out that will be available soon, hopefully at a reasonable price. I'm sure other cue companies will follow suit as well.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
jack

Makes no sense for small one man shops to make high quality carbon fiber cues. The equpiment needed is large and expensive and the small volume of sales can't make it worthwhile. For larger manufacturers on the other hand...They can crank out huge numbers of CF shafts for next to nothing and sell them for big bucks. The large volume of sales will soon put them in the black. Won't be long now before only custom makers use wooden shafts. No more trouble sourcing wood. No more expensive inlays etc. Just a tube of CF, bake and spray paint. 600 dollars please. No more tapering, expensive machining, trouble with wood generally etc...Once they've aquired the mandrel, oven etc they can make identical shafts over and over, round the clock.

This is not what custom cuemaking is about. Their skills are selecting wood, accurate inlay work, finishing, tapering etc. Carbon fiber work is a completely different skill set, and the two sets of skills hardly overlap at all.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several other carbonfibre/graphite shafts on the market now, some of them quite a bit cheaper than Revo and with more flexibility as far as joint threads.
I`have yet to try any of them, so I couldn`t give you a comparison.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jackpot
buy some of the shafts and fit them to my schon tribute that you have

it only has 4 shafts now so you could get still get another shaft in the case

all you need is to find a
graphite to fit the schon

buy two or three shafts,anything is cheaper than making shafts ourself

i have the feeling i will be sponsoring another of your plans that
my mother warned me about back in high shcool when you were in the 8th grade

dean

glad to help

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Carbon Fiber shafts will never take over wood.

Pretty sure you'll never see a top pro snooker player using carbon fiber gear.

A bit similar to violons, made of wood for centuries.

For cleaning purpose and lifespan, it is awesome tho.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is exactly what I thought about snooker players but snooker is completely different story. Snooker is organized like a real professional sport with the real money in the industry and untill it is so they still will make centuries with their spliced one piece cues.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

I think you are wrong. Carbon fiber is definitely taking over pool. There's really no choice. Almost all the exotic woods used for cues are on the endangered list, even woods that were dirt common a decade ago are almost extinct. Of course the Chinese don't give a damned about such things, but others do, and popular demand will eventually turn them around at least for the export part of their production. Wealthy Chinese will still use (poached) Madagascar ebony and (even more poached) ivory ferrules in their cues long into the future, not much to do about that. They won't change until they are choking on their own air, that's what it takes over there.

Top snooker players keep their cues for decades. Obviously it takes time to get good at snooker so the real test will be 10 years from now. I think this can be moved up, if someone makes a surprise strong finish and uses CF. Then the others may try it out.

The British are a conservative bunch. I think the pioneers of CFmay be Asian.

But really, snooker isn't that big of a market anyways. Sure, there are many players, but they all buy cheap shit cues and keep them for decades..The biggest selling cues from Riley and BCE are so bad, I wouldn't barbeque a hotdog over them. In order to make any money at all on the cheapskate snooker players, they cut every conceivable corner. The cues are not spliced, the ash is garbage (and laquered, to make it extra sticky and terrible), and the butt wood is not excotic but rather painted ash. Surprisingly snooker players don't care. They don't even make a fuss when it warps. The equipment really is secondary in snooker until you reach the very top level of play.American pool players on the other hand...New cue every month, closet full of cues. Even people who can't run 3 f-ing balls to save their lives have a cue collection. They will buy Carbon fiber the same second someone takes down a major event with it. Predator knows this, and they're making whellbarrows of cash selling dreams to APA 3s. There are people in my pool hall that are entirely clueless... Guess which shaft they have on their cues? That's right! It's black and costs (almost) 600 dollars here. They don't care. In snooker you'll find regular century break players playing with the cheapest, nastiest cues, with terrible tips. If you have a cue that's even half decent they expect you to be at least a semi-pro. I frankly don't know which state of affairs is more laughable?

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

You can't really compare pool cues to violins? Surely, they are more related to baseball bats. They are both made of wood, they are used in a sport, and they are very important to the person using them to play well.

Baseball bats have been made from wood for a century. Now, most bats are made of some type of metal or composite. Oh, wood is still number one for professionals, but for kids, HS and College, metal is KING. And fast pitch girls and woman softball use metal only, including at the pro level. I'd say metal has about 90% of the market, maybe more.

And I've yet to run across a guy that makes a metal bat in his garage. Actually, I dont' know anyone who makes a metal bat except the big companies that make them, DeMarini, Worth, Rawlings, Easton, etc.

But I used metal bats for 30 years, but I use a wood bat now, but only because the league is for guys over 50 years old, and our reaction time is not the same and nobody wants the pitcher to get drilled by one back up the middle :)

With that said, I do still use a wood cue too. Will I change to metal? Maybe, maybe not.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duh

Jack does have a point.

On his driver's license!

Ba-dum-dummm-dumm.

Take your time now, carbon fiber shafts are not just a plastic tube with spray foam
on the inside as so many on here have stated. You can not buy the stuff at Home
Depot. The equipment to produce them is very expensive and there is a limited
market. To contract it out would also be too expensive, and I doubt very few if
any custom cue builders have any experience with this material. Now slow down
even more, Black-Balled read very slowly. If it was as easy and cheap as many on here
say, and they could make huge profits there would be a lot more of them available.
jack

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take your time now, carbon fiber shafts are not just a plastic tube with spray foam
on the inside as so many on here have stated. You can not buy the stuff at Home
Depot. The equipment to produce them is very expensive and there is a limited
market. To contract it out would also be too expensive, and I doubt very few if
any custom cue builders have any experience with this material. Now slow down
even more, Black-Balled read very slowly. If it was as easy and cheap as many on here
say, and they could make huge profits there would be a lot more of them available.
jack

The technology used in the front end of these carbon fiber shafts is the real magic that make them work. I know Becue has a patent on what they call the Aroura Front End, and I am sure that Predator Engineers have their own special sauce as well.

Absolutely more than a hollow tube filled with foam.

In the case of Becue, the owners are aero-space engineers, who happen to be pool players. They applied themselves to produce a cue that incorporated the latest in technology.

So, could a very talented wood worker produce a competitive product? Most likely not.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
graphite didn't take over golf completely

most top pros still play dynamic gold steel shafts in their irons

of course who knows
i have yet to see one

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I expect that CF shafts will take off in a big way now that SVB is playing with one, and Dennis Hatch used one as his break cue at the Mosconi.

BTW, although CF and “graphite” are related, they are NOT the same thing. We are talking here about carbon fiber cues not graphite cues.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec has a prototype out that will be available soon, hopefully at a reasonable price. I'm sure other cue companies will follow suit as well.

I’m not normally a fan of cuetec but I’m looking forward to see what they are up to.

Predator is months and months behind in back orders and the revo has been out for more then 2 years at this point. Other companies who can afford the r and d would be silly not to produce something

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not normally a fan of cuetec but I’m looking forward to see what they are up to.

Predator is months and months behind in back orders and the revo has been out for more then 2 years at this point. Other companies who can afford the r and d would be silly not to produce something

should be very soon and $100 less. many more options than the revo. they hit every bit as well as the revo the ones I hit were 12.5mm

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The manufacturing options are nearly endless with carbon fiber, and the material & manufacturing errors can theoretically be 0s.

Bike industry, 20yr ago...you had metal frames. Today? You won't find a metal rim, much less a frame. And when I go do group rides with the local clubs, I am 1 of about 100 with metal rims.
(Coz i ain't walking if I get a flat!)