Old AzBilliards Forum Member Accounts

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a private un-cached industry forum I used to frequent once in a while, the administrator sent out an e-mail and created a sticky thread stating that she was going to delete all member accounts who haven't posted in the last year.

Getting the e-mail, it kind of made me want to post on the forum, so my forum membership would not be deleted. And I did post because of the e-mail. :embarrassed2:

AzBilliards Discussion Forum is much bigger than that industry forum. I always look at the birthdays on a daily basis to see who I know that has a birthday on that day. If it is a forum friend or somebody I have had back-and-forth colloquy with, I usually sent them a private Happy Birthday. :cool:

Sometimes I see AzBilliards forum member names that haven't been used since 2006, as an example. I wonder if the person has passed away or what the circumstances are. I also wonder that about Facebook. If a person dies, do their Facebook accounts stay on Facebook and the Internet ad ifinitum?

When I look at the forum's status at the time of this writing, 957 individual forum identiites have visited the forum. How many members are there on AzBilliards Discussion forum, number one? I wonder what percentage of them are regulars, number two. Since this is the biggest pool Internet site, I am curious. What do you think?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think a lot of accounts get made to kind of see what it's about and they try it for a few weeks and it
doesn't hold their interest or they get turned off of the forums somehow.
Or they register but only read, for whatever reason.

If they deleted accounts with less than 20ish posts and more than a few months old,
I bet it would eliminate well over 50% of the members on here. Maybe 80%.

Looking at the members list I randomly clicked page 51.
Out of 50 members listed, only 2 had more than 10 posts (one of which was 24 posts).
Another random page, 151, only 4 members.
Page 643: 9 out of 50.

No idea how to figure out what the true number of unique visitors is, on average.
One of the admins can probably tell us.
On facebook when you die they give you two options - leave it up as a memorial account or
apply to have it deleted. Both require proof of death and filling out forms.
If you don't login for a while (3 months?) it becomes 'inactive' and doesn't appear
on people's lists, but activates again as soon as someone logs in.

No question AZ is the #1 place to go for people into pool. I sometimes wondered if there's
some big community with lots of members that somehow flies under the radar.
Aside from AZB and 1p.org is there anywhere where lots of people are posting?
The old RSB newsgroups? Some huge yahoo group? Is anyone posting on cuetable/pool.bz?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a lot of accounts get made to kind of see what it's about and they try it for a few weeks and it
doesn't hold their interest or they get turned off of the forums somehow.
Or they register but only read, for whatever reason.

If they deleted accounts with less than 20ish posts and more than a few months old,
I bet it would eliminate well over 50% of the members on here. Maybe 80%.

Looking at the members list I randomly clicked page 51.
Out of 50 members listed, only 2 had more than 10 posts (one of which was 24 posts).
Another random page, 151, only 4 members.
Page 643: 9 out of 50.

No idea how to figure out what the true number of unique visitors is, on average.
One of the admins can probably tell us.
On facebook when you die they give you two options - leave it up as a memorial account or
apply to have it deleted. Both require proof of death and filling out forms.
If you don't login for a while (3 months?) it becomes 'inactive' and doesn't appear
on people's lists, but activates again as soon as someone logs in.

No question AZ is the #1 place to go for people into pool. I sometimes wondered if there's
The old RSB newsgroups? Some huge yahoo group? Is anyone posting on cuetable/pool.bz?

I see what you mean. It is kind of similar to the Ustream viewers. At first glance, it looks as if there are thousands watching a pool tournament, and in reality, it's less than a hundred unique views.

There's a few smaller pool forums on the Internet as well as some "private" pool groups on Facebook, but from what I understand, the majority of the topics discussed on them are what's going on over here at AzBilliards. Go figure! :grin-square:

We have a few small industry forums, some private and some public. I prefer the private ones because the topics discussed are not cached on Google.

What is quite sad is if nobody is alive to let Facebook know that someone has passed away as far as their account status. Same for AzBilliards. I mean, if there was a member here who passed away that was not friends with other AzB-ers, we would never know they had died.

I do like the Facebook idea that an inactive account doesn't show up. :)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I know for a fact that some members on here joined for no other reason than to buy/sell something on the Wanted/For Sale sub-forum. Once they got (or got rid of) their merchandise, they ceased logging in altogether.

My personal opinion is if a member has gone a year without logging in, then that account should be closed. I mean, how hard would it be for anyone to just log in every once in a while (to keep your account active) whether you post anything or not?

Maniac

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards Digest's Cue Chalk Board (CCB) was very popular for about 10 years ('95-'05). After that AZB was, and still is king.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Does it affect anyone, really, for accounts that haven't been used in a year to still be open? I think those who post TOO OFTEN should be closed. Like those who start threads just for the sake of starting a thread. *cough*

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
[...]
How many members are there on AzBilliards Discussion forum, number one? I wonder what percentage of them are regulars, number two.
[...]
What do you think?

Discussing how many members do number one, or what percentage have regular number twos, is probably not pool-related. That's what I think.

-Sean <-- has a sneaky suspicion he misread that... :p

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it affect anyone, really, for accounts that haven't been used in a year to still be open? I think those who post TOO OFTEN should be closed. Like those who start threads just for the sake of starting a thread. *cough*

Probably not. I only mentioned it because other forums close old accounts; thus, the reason for the thread.

Thanks for the insult. :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Discussing how many members do number one, or what percentage have regular number twos, is probably not pool-related. That's what I think.

-Sean <-- has a sneaky suspicion he misread that... :p

Uh, let's see. I'm talking about AzBilliards, a pool forum. Not pool-related? Okay, Sean, whatever you say. :smile:

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
I guess I have been reading a few too many bulging-veins-out-of-neck posts in recent times.

Yeah, im surprised you didnt catch that, being as youre the new Ellery Queen and all.
:grin::grin:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess I have been reading a few too many bulging-veins-out-of-neck posts in recent times.

Jennie:

I think that might be the case. You're probably a bit compromised in the humor department right now, because of events of late.

Just shrug it off -- shake it off like a bad case of fleas, as George Carlin likes to say:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tncnWp67wQI#t=4m16s

Getting back to my joke, think "selective reading with a crippled eye" (i.e. I'm the one with the crippled eye).

And smile. :)

-Sean

Last edited:

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Uh, let's see. I'm talking about AzBilliards, a pool forum. Not pool-related? Okay, Sean, whatever you say. :smile:

I belong to several forums. The oldest being Woodys Lounge https://windowssecrets.com/ for computers. It is now Windows Secrets. I visit there a few times a year when I have a problem I am looking for an answer or to post a question to gain advice.

If a forum would delete me say without an email notice, I would likely not join again. After all there are many forums to choose from.

I am looking for a forums on Android use as I presciently purchased a xoom tablet.

I think that Az is the best forum independent of subject matter and for pool related items it far outshines Billiards Digest. I have not gone to BD for quite a while. I do subscribe to their fine magazine.

I also post in NPR and learn quite a bit about our government and current events.

This thread belongs in NPR. Often a thread is moved over to NPR, perhaps this one also. No insult intended.

:D

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
advertisers do look at total number of members as well as other things, it would be not in the best interest of a forum to delete accounts.

YOLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own and operate 6 forums currently and can tell you that advertisers do look at membership count but it doesn't carry nearly as much weight as page views, time on site, uniques, etc.

Leave accounts as is has zero effect on forum performance, or anything else for that matter.

There is an addon to the forum software being used here that I find quite useful. It sends a "We miss you" email to members how haven't logged in in the last X number of days. It DOES increase traffic and, if used properly, will entice inactive members to return.