Why Do So Many Rack Balls At Wrong End?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happens in here every day. They place the cue ball on the foot spot to break off and rack the balls somewhere near the head spot, even though there is no designation on that end as to where to rack the balls, other than the headstring line.

I could see it being a little confusing if we had two spots on the table, but we only have the foot spot. Also, you’d think that they’d get the clue when the hook with the ball rack is on the foot end of the table and they carry it all the way up to the head end of the table to rack and then place it back on the hook at the foot end of the table.

I often don’t even bother telling them or if I do, I do it very discreetly so as not to embarrass them. Just curious, is it common on bar tables in bar rooms to have spots on both ends of the table and require players to break off the foot spot? That’s about the only reason I can think of why they do it, other than chalking it up to pure ignorance.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Draw the triangle outline. That should be enough clue and the straight pool players will appreciate it.:thumbup:

And for real amusement, get a carom table and see how many pool shots they take before they see there aren't any pockets. I've seen it happen.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Draw the triangle outline. That should be enough clue and the straight pool players will appreciate it.:thumbup:

And for real amusement, get a carom table and see how many pool shots they take before they see there aren't any pockets. I've seen it happen.
Bob, believe it or not I’ve done that and it still happens! Currently we have crosshair sharpie lines at the foot end to assist properly squaring up the triangle rack or the Accu-rack template, which we use for tournaments.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Maybe they're just trying to even out the breaking wear. :D

Well yeah, duh. My home table with simonos cloth gets a lot of activity with head and foot spots. I noticed what was traditionally the head spot showing significant wear so I changed it to the other end. Some of my opponents when first saw this said, "What the *"" but quickly got used to the change. What's the big deal?

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Oh, and by the way one of my weekly matches at home is straight pool but I've always been hesitant to outline the rack on one end so it would be more difficult to switch. :)

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
ive played in a spot where every other day you rack at the other end to even out the cloth wear. it works.

it also works to have the cueball on a cloth when fast breaking.

beginners have no clue which end to break from and why should they. both ends of the table look similar.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I played pre pandemic there are 10 Diamond smart tables. Spot always on the table, balls in the return. Doesn't stop people from stuffing the rack in the opposite end of the table, putting drinks on the table & doing just about whatever the hell they want to do.

Chalk it up to ignorance & a don't give a shit attitude.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive played in a spot where every other day you rack at the other end to even out the cloth wear. it works.

it also works to have the cueball on a cloth when fast breaking.

beginners have no clue which end to break from and why should they. both ends of the table look similar.
Your last sentence pretty much sums it up!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes

Sometimes the breaking end of the table (head end) is placed to minimize potential damage to things (like windows) or people (like diners).

Often there are strategic reasons for racking at one end including minimum annoyance to other players. However, if I was a hall owner and there was no real reason to rack on one end I would happily let people swap ends just for the wear issue. I have seen people deliberately swap ends, usually playing one pocket. Not ignorance in this case, preference.

I move my break around on my personal table but it is starting to get the inevitable wear marks. A little awkward but I may swap ends awhile.

Hu

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip..

I was just about to post the same, when I saw your post. Seen it with my own eyes. OP, consider yourself lucky:)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen people walk around standard 9 foot tables with their change looking for a coin slot :)

Once a couple of guys played for an hour using a half set of snooker balls and a half set of pool balls and never noticed the size difference till I came over to point it out and remove the snooker balls. We were using the table for 9 ball practice and a snooker table was next to it. They found half a set of 8 ball on the table and grabbed the other half from the snooker table LOL

Some people just don't know what a pool room is, 99% of their playing pool experience is on bar tables without any idea about how a pool hall works, where to get the balls, how table time is charged, why the rack is where it it, etc...

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play at a sports bar and one of the 6 tables Is slightly worn. We always break from the opposite end. I didn’t know that anyone would actually be so obsessed to notice or care.

On my own 9’table at home I switch ends every so often...and move the head ball spot an inch or so. My cloth is still like new despite using using most days for 7 years.

If on my own table I also don’t care What ball I use as the cueball if playing certain games.

On my 12’ snooker table, that I baby, I switch breaking ends every game.

Billiards is a game. There are no ‘rules’ outside of those agreed upon by two players. I play all types of unique games on my tables. If I want to line up all the balks on a rail and shoot them off one by one. Hy do you care? I don’t care which way you peel a banana.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes it is difficult to get a tight rack at the foot of the table because of people tapping balls and general wear and tear.

It could be that or it could be bangers who don't know there is a foot and a head of the table.

Or maybe they just wanted to piss you off and get you to start a thread about it on azbilliards.

One way to find out would be to ask them why they racked the balls on the head of the table.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a drop-pocket table with two spots, I could see where most any novice might make that mistake initially (though the triangle hook location should provide an obvious clue). But, any coin bar box or 9 ft. (with ball storage slots) that has a ball return system, and thus has the players repeatedly shoving the balls to the opposite end, denotes either those desiring an extra-tight rack, or candidates for remedial education.
Reminds me of the old ethnic joke re: why it takes 3 to screw in a lightbulb; ‘One to hold the bulb, and two to turn the ladder’.

Last edited: