I think I invented a shot lol

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Hey all,

So I think there's actually like a 1% chance that I invented a new shot, which to me is kind of funny. I can't imagine there's a whole lot of shots being invented in straight pool in the last 50 years, but I did this the other day and no one I've shown it to has ever seen it.

CueTable Help

(Three slides to the diagram)

I knew the 8 would move just slightly after making the combination, but to a very predictable place. The cueball was laying really nicely to come off the end rail in a very consistent line, so it just sort of clicked that playing a time shot manufacture would be in order.

It worked quite well. In fact, it was pretty easy to execute. Anyway, it was kind of an interesting position so thought I'd share.

- Steve

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
COOL! A Bump into the first ball of a combo, knowing it would be sitting there waiting for your cue ball. I got to set this up and play with it. Neat!:thumbup:

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must have done something wrong to be left with that layout with only four balls left. :wink: Just kidding. I think just being able to see the possible shots is a huge part of the battle to becoming a great player. Well done.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Only You Stevie !!!!! very nice shot, by design of Course !

And thank you for getting my CueTable to work again !

-Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice play, Steve, and well reasoned. It's a free shot, for even if the eight doesn't go where you want it to, you've still got the three in the side and the five in the corner as possible break shots. You'll have constructive options no matter how things turn out.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the most fun things about straight pool is manufacturing breaks shots. I remember watching Efren do it in one of the accustats tapes. It's particularly enjoyable if you can plan it ahead of time, or in this case, with only a few balls remaining.

That was a nice creative shot to continue your run.

ds

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Manufacturing Break Shots

It's one facet of the game in which spectators who know little about straight pool are clueless that a brilliant piece of strategy just occurred. A subtle but profound chess move.

sausage

Banned
I think just being able to see the possible shots is a huge part of the battle to becoming a great player. Well done.

exactly... BTW; that's a cute kid!

after a break, i had this seemingly impossible situation. after cursing the pool gods i realized that they were only testing me... the layout of the balls is not at all exact but you get the idea. oh, ignore that blue line. i could NOT get it to go away....
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AUTn3BAln3...hCpG4hChG4hCxG4hDFp4hCYE4hDGD4hChD3mATw4msmO@ the side pocket ball easily went after i came off the bottom rail throwing the frozen combo.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Did anyone witness this shot? We need verification. Upload the vid or it didn't happen!

j/k, that's a creative & well-executed shot. Your mind was really in gear, huh?