Scopping cue ball foul?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it isn't. Savy players can miscue on purpose in situations where a normal stroke wouldn't get the same results

Back in the bar room 8 ball days, intentional yet accidental looking miscues were a prized talent. :thumbup:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Practice your stroke

Usually when you double hit the CB on a scoop you can feel it and should call the foul on yourself.

It’s not always a double hit on a scoop, and sometimes it is. You can usually feel
It or hear it. Occasionally it’s not possible to determine.

Good luck
Fatboy

Great advice FB. Hell I've scooped a cue ball over my object ball, which at the time, was unfortunately the 8 ball, :eek: and right into the pocket (on the fly) that the 8 ball was supposed to go in. :eek: Talk about a jump shot. :) Of course I still believe the Bourbon played just as key a role in that particular scenario, as did my stroke. Unfortunately the Bourbon rule was nowhere to be found in "the book." :wink:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
probably the other way around

Which rule books? Just curious. I don't think I've ever seen this in any rule book. Intentional miscues, yes, but not unintentional miscues, unless the miscue results in a bad hit or no hit or a scratch. Maybe that rule has changed and I should brush up on all the rules to make sure nothing else has changed.

Most of today's rule books didn't exist when I read the rules decades ago. Other than those books, just reading in a post that such and such a book said they were a foul. The places to play that posted rules on the wall sometimes specified them as a foul also, perhaps in the interest of protecting their equipment.

Some in this thread have said a miscue could fall under the rules for unsportsmanlike conduct which would be harsh indeed.

I think I have read a copy of maybe the BCA rules about ten years or so ago but of course I have slept a bunch of times since then!

Most groups apply their own rules plus WPA rules so you probably need to know both if you are a stickler for the rules. I'm more of a when in Rome kind of guy and as I said, rarely see these things called. I generally figure loss of turn and putting the cue ball somewhere you didn't want it is usually enough penalty for a miscue. Even when I know somebody pulled a dick move it isn't usually worth arguing over.

Hu

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe we need a rule that you can’t benefit from a miscue. That might be easier to determine than your intent.

pj
chgo

With modern rule sets, the only really beneficial intentional miscue is the scoop jump. And the intent there is pretty clear.

I dont think we need to keep adding rules, just to add rules. :thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With modern rule sets, the only really beneficial intentional miscue is the scoop jump. ...
There some other rare situations where a miscue is a good alternative.

At snooker, where intentional miscues are not only allowed but applauded, miscues are used to get very soft hits on the cue ball by lining up with the tip partly outside the cue ball. The ball goes more or less perpendicular to the stick line.

The pool technique for a similar situation is the "stick lift" in which the tip is placed on the cloth under the edge of the ball and then the stick is lifted straight up to get a very soft contact. This is currently ruled a foul because it is not a "stroke" which is defined as a forward motion of the cue (along its axis) but the shot is also a miscue (tip slips on ball).

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
There some other rare situations where a miscue is a good alternative.

At snooker, where intentional miscues are not only allowed but applauded, miscues are used to get very soft hits on the cue ball by lining up with the tip partly outside the cue ball. The ball goes more or less perpendicular to the stick line.

The pool technique for a similar situation is the "stick lift" in which the tip is placed on the cloth under the edge of the ball and then the stick is lifted straight up to get a very soft contact. This is currently ruled a foul because it is not a "stroke" which is defined as a forward motion of the cue (along its axis) but the shot is also a miscue (tip slips on ball).
Seems you could get a similar result (artificially soft hit) by miscuing to the side (at the CB's edge) with a normal stroke. I'd call that an intentional miscue foul.

pj <- never thought to try it
chgo

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Seems you could get a similar result (artificially soft hit) by miscuing to the side (at the CB's edge) with a normal stroke. I'd call that an intentional miscue foul.

pj <- never thought to try it
chgo

You've gotta be sure and holler out "Shit" right after you do it to add realism. :thumbup:

Maniac

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Great advice FB. Hell I've scooped a cue ball over my object ball, which at the time, was unfortunately the 8 ball, :eek: and right into the pocket (on the fly) that the 8 ball was supposed to go in. :eek:
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger - I saw a pro do that in a tournament (Parica? Tadd? - Los Angeles, ~1993).

pj
chgo