Low deflection Schon shaft???

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a bunch of Schon cues, and that means a bunch of extra shafts. Some have been taken in, in trade, and arent great...... So I got to thinking about turning one into a LD type of shaft.

I thought about drilling it out etc and all the stuff that goes into a 'normal' ld shaft, then said hell with it, and just cut off 5/8" of the ferrule. Oddly enough, it was enough to get down pretty damn close to a 314-2 in squirt. Im sure it is a hair more, but not enough to be an issue. Plays pretty damn sporty, the feel of a solid shaft, and considerably less squirt.

Anybody else screw with junk shafts to see what you can come up with?

Attachments

• photo(17).jpg
    photo(17).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,148

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Without being 100% sure I believe Schon uses Ivorine 4 as their ferrule material
which is very heavy. Reducing the ferrule length will have a much greater effect
on Schon cues then most other brands.

gr. Dave

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the general trend anyway.

Even Joss has gone to a short ferrule on their plain maple shafts. They also sell a fully engineered LD as well.

The short ferrule will make the greatest difference with a heavy ferrule as was stated, but I believe it has historically been the first step toward LD.

In the old days ferrules tended to be very long. The old Meucci ferrules were and inch and a quarter.

I would say of course it worked. I would expect it to.

But also remember we have been trending toward longer cues and longer shafts...and you just shortened yours.

I use 31 inch shafts on my player with a 29 inch butt. I am currently looking at a 32 inch shaft as well.

I am getting a lathe soon and may play around with such things, but actually it isn't very high on my priority list. It's been done ad infinitum and is already proven to work IMHO.

Personally, I would be more likely to experiment with ferrule materials. I already have some things in mind.

But, you have some spare shafts. They can't be stretched. LOL! So, experiment away. :thumbup:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have a bunch of Schon cues, and that means a bunch of extra shafts. Some have been taken in, in trade, and arent great...... So I got to thinking about turning one into a LD type of shaft.

I thought about drilling it out etc and all the stuff that goes into a 'normal' ld shaft, then said hell with it, and just cut off 5/8" of the ferrule. Oddly enough, it was enough to get down pretty damn close to a 314-2 in squirt. Im sure it is a hair more, but not enough to be an issue. Plays pretty damn sporty, the feel of a solid shaft, and considerably less squirt.

Anybody else screw with junk shafts to see what you can come up with?

Did the feel of the shaft change? If you compare it directly to another Schön shaft, do you feel the difference? I wonder because I have a custom shaft that is very similar to a Schön shaft. It has a great feel, but HUGE deflection, and I have thought about going your route. I don't want a traditional low deflection shaft, just a little bit lower than it is at present, but I worry that the feel might be lost. The shaftwood is awesome on this shaft and it would be shame to ruin it for nothing.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without being 100% sure I believe Schon uses Ivorine 4 as their ferrule material
which is very heavy. Reducing the ferrule length will have a much greater effect
on Schon cues then most other brands.

gr. Dave

I think that is their current ferrule, this one was LBM

It's the general trend anyway.

Even Joss has gone to a short ferrule on their plain maple shafts. They also sell a fully engineered LD as well.

The short ferrule will make the greatest difference with a heavy ferrule as was stated, but I believe it has historically been the first step toward LD.

In the old days ferrules tended to be very long. The old Meucci ferrules were and inch and a quarter.

I would say of course it worked. I would expect it to.

But also remember we have been trending toward longer cues and longer shafts...and you just shortened yours.

I use 31 inch shafts on my player with a 29 inch butt. I am currently looking at a 32 inch shaft as well.

I am getting a lathe soon and may play around with such things, but actually it isn't very high on my priority list. It's been done ad infinitum and is already proven to work IMHO.

Personally, I would be more likely to experiment with ferrule materials. I already have some things in mind.

But, you have some spare shafts. They can't be stretched. LOL! So, experiment away. :thumbup:
The surprising thing, was the AMOUNT of reduction, with a thicker shorter ferrule and no nose bore. Like I said, I play with 314-2 shafts, and this is pretty damn close.. :thumbup:

Great information.
I might try it out.

Thanks
If you have a junker, go for it. I like playing around on stuff to pass the time. I have probably 10 schon shafts that will never get used otherwise... LOL

Did the feel of the shaft change? If you compare it directly to another Schön shaft, do you feel the difference? I wonder because I have a custom shaft that is very similar to a Schön shaft. It has a great feel, but HUGE deflection, and I have thought about going your route. I don't want a traditional low deflection shaft, just a little bit lower than it is at present, but I worry that the feel might be lost. The shaftwood is awesome on this shaft and it would be shame to ruin it for nothing.

It feels pretty much the same. 'Solid' feel and good feedback and sound. I wouldnt try it unless you were completely ok with possibly ruining the shaft though.

I just like to experiment, and this one surprised me at how much lower. I knew I would shave off some of the cb squirt, but like I say, its pretty damn close to a predator IMHO.

c-money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It worked for me. Last year I took a 31" huebler shaft and cut off the one inch ferrule, put on a carbon fibre pad. It played so well that I figured going with more modification was worth the try. I had a cue maker take the shaft down to about 11.85 at the tip starting from about a foot back. It was then drilled out about 3 1/2 inch down 1/4 diameter. Some expanding gorilla glue was put in and then a carbon fibre pad. This plays amazing and will be my player forever no doubt. I've had predators, OB, Schon Gina other customs and productions cues. For me, none have played this well.